Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Had my first canon RF lens yesterday (I have a Samyang 85 1.4rf as well), a 15-35 2.8. What a lens. Love the build quality on these lenses, only taken a few images but seems obviously awesome. The IS is amazing as well. Easy 2 second exposures handheld now. Took a week to come from Panamoz if anyone is ordering. Still waiting on my 28-70 f2 from Wex tho. ☹️

Noting that Canon test drives have 4 days free over the Easter weekend rather than the usual 2, I‘m borrowing a 70-200 2.8 :)

Although apparently ubiquitous in many people’s bags, I tend to use wider (ef 16-35, rf 24-70) or longer lenses (ef 100-400) for the most part. I’ll just have to find something interesting to shoot with it!

Noting that Canon test drives have 4 days free over the Easter weekend rather than the usual 2, I‘m borrowing a 70-200 2.8 :)

Although apparently ubiquitous in many people’s bags, I tend to use wider (ef 16-35, rf 24-70) or longer lenses (ef 100-400) for the most part. I’ll just have to find something interesting to shoot with it!
Nice.
Has anyone borrowed more than once through the test drive scheme?
I had the RF24-105 and 35mm last year, wondering about doing it again.

Does anyone use a screen protector for their R Series? If so any brands that you recommend? Thanks

Hi there!
Just a dumb newbie question, when buying a new camera, like the RP, we should update the firmware, it should suffice update to the last one right? IT would "install" all the others updates that were in the others firmware update right?

Hi there!
Just a dumb newbie question, when buying a new camera, like the RP, we should update the firmware, it should suffice update to the last one right? IT would "install" all the others updates that were in the others firmware update right?

I’m pretty sure that all firmware’s include the previous stuff too.

Hi there!
Correct

Talking of firmware, R5/6 & RF 100-500 firmware just released.
R5 Changelog:
Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
1. Adds [Canon Log 3] to [Canon Log settings]. You can select [Canon Log] or [Canon Log 3] from [Canon Log settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu.
- Support for RAW movies shot with Canon Log3 and RAW (Light) will be available in Cinema RAW Development and in Digital Photo Professional version in a future update.
- Digital Photo Professional will also support the processing of RAW movies shot in Canon Log3 settings and the application of Viewing LUT in future update.
2. Adds [RAW (Light)] to the movie recording size and [IPB (Light)] to 8K/4K to enable lower bit rate shooting. These settings can also be selected when RAW+MP4 is set.
3. Adds a high frame rate of 119.9 fps/100.0 fps to the Full HD movie recording size.
4. Adds [Electronic full-time MF] to the AF tab of the menu. When a lens is attached, manual focus adjustment is always possible with both One-shot AF and Servo AF.
5. Adds [6: Monitor Off] to [Shooting info. disp.: Screen info. settings] in the Shooting tab of the menu. This update makes it possible for the camera's monitor to be turned off at all times during shooting.
6. The transfer time (estimated value) now displays on the camera monitor during FTP transfer.
7. Adds the ability, when transferring images via FTP, to select protected images that failed to be transferred and protected images that have not yet been transferred and transfer them all at once.
8. Adds [Save/load cam settings on card] to the Function settings tab of the menu.
This allows you to save the camera settings to a card, or load a saved file and restore the camera to the settings you saved to a card.
9. Fixes a phenomenon, in which, in rare instances, the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
10. Fixes a phenomenon, in which in rare instances, the camera cannot function normally when the drive mode is set to "High-speed continuous shooting" to shoot still images continuously.
11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the power may become suspended when the camera is powered via USB for an extended period of time.

R6 Changelog:
Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
1. Adds [IPB (Light)] to 4K to enable lower bit rate shooting.
2. Adds [Electronic full-time MF] to the AF tab of the menu. When a lens is attached, manual focus adjustment is always possible with both One-shot AF and Servo AF.
3. The transfer time (estimated value) now displays on the camera monitor during FTP transfer.
4. Fixes a phenomenon, in which in rare instances, the camera cannot function normally when the drive mode is set to "High-speed continuous shooting" to shoot still images continuously.
5. Fixes a phenomenon that may corrupt the image displayed in the viewfinder.
6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the power may become suspended when the camera is powered via USB for an extended period of time.

How long do they normally take to appear on the Canon UK site? Edit: Appeared as I posted this...Info above was from Canon Asia.

Last edited:
Hi there!
When I bought my secondhand RP from WEX, the listing showed which firmware it was on, once I got it home I had to update it to get it to recognise the RF 50 f1.8.
The latest firmware will always include all the fixes from the previous versions plus the new ones. The big fixes on the R series has been updates to the AF.

@ABTog are you satisfied with your RP?
On the whole yes.
Coming from the 6D it's a lot smaller and lighter, the AF is better and faster.
There are the obvious snags like battery life, it definitely doesn't last long so you need at least 3 batteries.
One slight issue I've had is that it occasionally flips from AF servo to one-shot mode. This is frustrating when you're expecting it to keep focusing and it just stops.
The other AF frustration is that I've not yet found a way to set a function button to switch quickly from AF spot focus to tracking (something you can do on the R5/6). You can set a button to turn eye-AF on and off but that relies on it already being in tracking mode.

Other than that it's pretty good but I've not yet done a full day shooting with it.

only 1.2 available at the moment, lots of places around the world also reporting 1.3 now removed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331_185045_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210331_185045_com.android.chrome.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 16
I've upgraded on the R5 and all seems fine with that one.
- it would have been nice if the latest R5/6 FW upgrade had included a facility to have an adjustable ES shutter speed (rather than being permanently at 20fps) and also had introduced a simulated shutter sound for ES (rather than absolute silence). It's alarming how many exposures I take in ES mode with no indication that the camera is actually shooting!!

Russ

Test drive 70-200 f2.8 just arrived, so pretty much a whole extra day to play with it over and above the bank holiday weekend.

Which is nice!

And it is tiny.

Thank you Canon

Last edited:
- it would have been nice if the latest R5/6 FW upgrade had included a facility to have an adjustable ES shutter speed (rather than being permanently at 20fps) and also had introduced a simulated shutter sound for ES (rather than absolute silence). It's alarming how many exposures I take in ES mode with no indication that the camera is actually shooting!!

Russ

I know what you mean. I have hundreds of photos to cull from a recent outing.

anyone used Apple photos to import a raw file and found it turns magenta, got apple support looking in to it but just discovered Canon use a Sycc colour space and wondering if Apple cant read it correctly hence the magenta

Just had a call about the test drive, apparently the R5 that was due to be delivered to me today has 'missed the connection' at the courier hub so now can't be delivered until Saturday & the hire cant be extended as it is fully booked out for April. Very disappointing :(

Just had a call about the test drive, apparently the R5 that was due to be delivered to me today has 'missed the connection' at the courier hub so now can't be delivered until Saturday & the hire cant be extended as it is fully booked out for April. Very disappointing :(
I had that when it first started, I was waiting for an EF 100-400 II to arrive and got the same message from Hire Camera.

Ahh, sorry to hear that.

Have had a brief play on the test drive 70-200 this morning, with the same things we all do when we get a new lens, garden and cats.

It's quite good!

I had that when it first started, I was waiting for an EF 100-400 II to arrive and got the same message from Hire Camera.
I've cancelled it altogether as I don't want wait in potentially all day Saturday for a test period thats affectively been halved.

Ahh, sorry to hear that.
Have had a brief play on the test drive 70-200 this morning, with the same things we all do when we get a new lens, garden and cats.

It's quite good!
Cheers,
Hope you enjoy it

Ahh, sorry to hear that.

It's quite good!
I've gone cold towards my 70-200 2.8.
For sure it produces great images at any aperture and focal length but 200mm isn't long enough for my use.
Guess I should have thought about the extender compatibilty before shelling out.

In truth, I find myself using the 85 1.2 almost exclusively.
It is so sharp I can zoom during editing to 250% and the images still look incredible.

Last edited:

To add to my earlier post, and in fairness to the test drive people, they've sorted this out to my satisfaction. Now got a longer test drive later in the month.

To add to my earlier post, and in fairness to the test drive people, they've sorted this out to my satisfaction. Now got a longer test drive later in the month.
They did seem to be a pretty helpful bunch when I had my test drive 2 weeks ago.

For any of you using the 135 f2 on either the R5 or R6.
Do you find the IBIS goes into overdrive when you’re using it?

I mounted mine on my R5 for the first time about half hour ago, and had to double check to make sure I hadn’t put the 100mm macro on instead :D

It’s clearly the IBIS making the noise, as the lens itself obviously doesn’t have IS built in.

Back