Canon EOS R Series Cameras

What setting would you use for a man/woman on a moving horse & cart, People, Animal or Vehicle ?

Playing a straight bat...

I like aperture priority with auto ISO and it seems to suit me but with some subjects and in some light aperture priority may not give a fast enough shutter speed so when that happens I switch to manual and dial in the aperture and shutter I want and let the ISO float.

If things are moving you'll have to consider the shutter speed and depth of field you want to adequately or completely freeze the action but sometimes a little motion blur may be a good thing. Somewhere between 1/160 to 1/250 should often be adequate for people and what they're doing but other faster moving people or stuff will need a faster shutter speed. I don't often take pictures of fast moving things but once took a picture of a horse and rider and managed to capture all four hooves off the ground but with some motion blur on the legs at 1/200, but I was panning, other examples from my limited number of action shots, 1/200-1/250 captured snowballs in flight and 1/500 captured a cricket ball in flight, jumping motorbikes and guys diving off a cliff into the sea, dogs can move quickly and squirrels and birds even faster so adjust your shutter speed accordingly. If you want pin sharp results and are filling the screen with action... keep your shutter speed up.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean I also was using a 7D 2 and was worried about having enough reach so went for the R5
Was worth it the autofocus and image quality are amazing and I have leeway to crop if I need to
Ive rapidly filled my hard drive and need to get another one
I haven’t got a cfexpress card yet still using sd cards as they are cheap and I keep reading conflicting reviews on different cfexpress cards I just bought a load of sd cards

I do need to buy a new 4TB Hard Drive soon as I am running low on space just for my 7Dii 20.2MB files, let alone R5 files as I might need to start buying 6TB drives ! ! ! lol
My friend owns an R5 and I realised very quickly the AF is just bloody amazing and just how out dated my 7Dii just become in 1 minute !

Luckily for me the 7Dii can use CF and SD so I do have a collection of both for when I buy either R5 or R6 !

I do need to buy a new 4TB Hard Drive soon as I am running low on space just for my 7Dii 20.2MB files, let alone R5 files as I might need to start buying 6TB drives ! ! ! lol
My friend owns an R5 and I realised very quickly the AF is just bloody amazing and just how out dated my 7Dii just become in 1 minute !

Luckily for me the 7Dii can use CF and SD so I do have a collection of both for when I buy either R5 or R6 !
I bought a 6TB G Tech external drive when my previous 2TB G Tech drive started to fail on me. Only went with the 6TB as it was cheaper than the 4TB version. It only has 1.4TB on it so plenty of room for the future (at my current rate it will take me 30 years to fill!). Just rearranging my drives as Ive finally upgraded the computer to something newer.

I use Photolab - just updated to 5, so I rarely need Topaz Sharpen or Denoise these days, but I think for an extreme case like this, Topaz Sharpen is worth a punt. I really like Photolab for ease of processing and colours - which I realise is a personal thing, and fabulous noise handling.

Good luck finding an owl. I was directed to this one, but I have spent many hours locally looking for them and had a weird experience one evening when I think I was mistaken for a paparazzi! :oops: :$:rolleyes:
Still messing about with an old edition of photos hop ( non subscription) and affinity.... Can't decide for sure
best way forward but affinity favourite at the mo..... Maybe I'm just tight.....

I bought a 6TB G Tech external drive when my previous 2TB G Tech drive started to fail on me. Only went with the 6TB as it was cheaper than the 4TB version. It only has 1.4TB on it so plenty of room for the future (at my current rate it will take me 30 years to fill!). Just rearranging my drives as Ive finally upgraded the computer to something newer.

All my Drives are internal on my PC Tower as they pretty reasonably priced that external incased versions. I do need to replace 2 of the 3 hard drives as they are getting old and I do need larger capacity. They do get full when I take video on my 7Dii if I use MOV format, so I have started using my smart phone for general video when using my 7Dii by mounting in a phone holder in the hot shoe. Therefor I can take photos and video at the same time !

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to setting up the R6? I hired annR6 in the summer via the test drive but can’t remember how I set it up. I seem to remember I some how set up the reader screen and EVF so I swapped between the two by pushing a button. Can’t remember how I did it.

Playing a straight bat...

I like aperture priority with auto ISO and it seems to suit me but with some subjects and in some light aperture priority may not give a fast enough shutter speed so when that happens I switch to manual and dial in the aperture and shutter I want and let the ISO float.

If things are moving you'll have to consider the shutter speed and depth of field you want to adequately or completely freeze the action but sometimes a little motion blur may be a good thing. Somewhere between 1/160 to 1/250 should often be adequate for people and what they're doing but other faster moving people or stuff will need a faster shutter speed. I don't often take pictures of fast moving things but once took a picture of a horse and rider and managed to capture all four hooves off the ground but with some motion blur on the legs at 1/200, but I was panning, other examples from my limited number of action shots, 1/200-1/250 captured snowballs in flight and 1/500 captured a cricket ball in flight, jumping motorbikes and guys diving off a cliff into the sea, dogs can move quickly and squirrels and birds even faster so adjust your shutter speed accordingly. If you want pin sharp results and are filling the screen with action... keep your shutter speed up.
Use the minimum shutter speed setting when in auto iso. You can set it to 1/125 or 1/320 or higher depending what you need. I'm auto iso for 90% of the time for weddings.

Use the minimum shutter speed setting when in auto iso. You can set it to 1/125 or 1/320 or higher depending what you need. I'm auto iso for 90% of the time for weddings.

You can but I can't as I'm on a 1st generation Sony A7 and it doesn't have a minimal shutter speed option. It's a good option for you guys with newer kit though.

Anyone use the Canon 300mm f4 IS USM EF lens or Canon 400mm f4 DO mk1 on their R6?

Having sorted out RF lenses for the 24-200mm range I’m starting to look at options for a wildlife lens. I’d like something in the 300mm to 400mm range but keeping to at least f4. There seems to be only two option 300mm f4 EF and 400mm f4 DO (mark 1 - would love a mk2 but not in my price range at present). I thought I’d ask what performance is like with these two lenses as I have no experience of these on canon.

Anyone use the Canon 300mm f4 IS USM EF lens or Canon 400mm f4 DO mk1 on their R6?

Having sorted out RF lenses for the 24-200mm range I’m starting to look at options for a wildlife lens. I’d like something in the 300mm to 400mm range but keeping to at least f4. There seems to be only two option 300mm f4 EF and 400mm f4 DO (mark 1 - would love a mk2 but not in my price range at present). I thought I’d ask what performance is like with these two lenses as I have no experience of these on canon.
I don’t have these specific lenses. What I can say is that the EF lenses work perfectly on the R bodies with canons adapter. For wildlife I mostly use 600 f4 m2. Sometimes 400 2.8 or 300 2.8.

I have the 300 f4 IS EF lens which I use on my R with the Canon adapter. I haven't done side-by-side testing, but I'm fairly sure it focuses faster on the R than it did on my previous EF bodies, and it will even AF perfectly well with either the 1.4x or 2x converter.

I don’t have these specific lenses. What I can say is that the EF lenses work perfectly on the R bodies with canons adapter. For wildlife I mostly use 600 f4 m2. Sometimes 400 2.8 or 300 2.8.
I would so love to have any of those lenses in my arsenal :) ... apart from the weight concern, but I'd try my best to cope :ROFLMAO:

I have the 300 f4 IS EF lens which I use on my R with the Canon adapter. I haven't done side-by-side testing, but I'm fairly sure it focuses faster on the R than it did on my previous EF bodies, and it will even AF perfectly well with either the 1.4x or 2x converter.
That’s great to know. To be fair I’ve not experience of how these canon lenses work on EF bodies. I did have a 300mm f4 when with Nikon so I’m guessing performance will be about the same as that was. The 300mm f4 seems to be the winner for me as I can pick one up for circa £600 but I’m wondering if it’s worth pushing towards the 400mm f4. I just don’t know that much about it other than it was replaced by the mk 2.

I suspect I will go for the 300mm f4 and hire the 400mm f4 for the odd weekend each year. Likely to lose less that way as camera kit will depreciate over time.

That’s great to know. To be fair I’ve not experience of how these canon lenses work on EF bodies. I did have a 300mm f4 when with Nikon so I’m guessing performance will be about the same as that was. The 300mm f4 seems to be the winner for me as I can pick one up for circa £600 but I’m wondering if it’s worth pushing towards the 400mm f4. I just don’t know that much about it other than it was replaced by the mk 2.

I suspect I will go for the 300mm f4 and hire the 400mm f4 for the odd weekend each year. Likely to lose less that way as camera kit will depreciate over time.
I've not used the 400 f4 - a bit out of my price range! The 300 is much more affordable :)

Focusing EF lenses with the R bodies is definitely better. Not sure if faster, however without doubt more reliable. I’ve had shoots with every single frame usable which I didn’t manage with DSLRs.

@rob-nikon I have no experience of the 400mm DO but I do know it is not seen as the best of lenses. The mark II saw a significant increase in performance, particularly contrast and sharpness. The 300 f4 is a great wee lens as long as you accept it’s a relatively old design now and the IS has a noticeable clunk when it engages. I’ve had mine for over 15 years.

@rob-nikon I have no experience of the 400mm DO but I do know it is not seen as the best of lenses. The mark II saw a significant increase in performance, particularly contrast and sharpness. The 300 f4 is a great wee lens as long as you accept it’s a relatively old design now and the IS has a noticeable clunk when it engages. I’ve had mine for over 15 years.
Thanks, that’s exactly what I needed to know. I will probably turn off the IS for wildlife so the clunking noise isn’t so important to me. Think the 300mm will be the right option for me. I can always hire the 400 f4 mk2 for the odd weekend.
Hopefully canon will update the 300mm f4 with a RF design at some point but I’m guessing that will probably be unlikely as this lens type doesn’t seem to be on trend compared to the super zooms.

No doubt they are great to have. I picked up most second hand over several years. All favorites for different things :)
I did have the opportunity to buy an EF 500mm f/4 recently. I declined due to its weight and then he sold it to MPB for over £1k more than I might have paid for it - so it would have been a bargain it seems, but I'd have struggled with it weight wise, sadly.

Life is short, so I'd just enjoy them :)

I did have the opportunity to buy an EF 500mm f/4 recently. I declined due to its weight and then he sold it to MPB for over £1k more than I might have paid for it - so it would have been a bargain it seems, but I'd have struggled with it weight wise, sadly.

Life is short, so I'd just enjoy them :)

If you had a need for it and the lens would have been used a lot, then it was worth buying !
I hit the gym 4 times a week doing free weights, so I have no excuse for not buying a heavy lens lol
The only issue with big lens is travel, either flying or hiking as the weight or more importantly space is a premium !

If you had a need for it and the lens would have been used a lot, then it was worth buying !
I hit the gym 4 times a week doing free weights, so I have no excuse for not buying a heavy lens lol
The only issue with big lens is travel, either flying or hiking as the weight or more importantly space is a premium !
Right, this is my motivation to get to the gym too :)

I have looked throuhg about 50 pages of this thread and losing the will to live so I will ask instead :)

Has anyone used the R5 (not r6) in a dark enviroment and forced to use high ISO 51200 and/or above

I dont mean tests in half decent light.. I mean real poor lighting where you had to push the camera with wide open lens and high iso

I regularly have to use my 1dxII at iso 51200 f2.8 and maybe 600ss (moving subjects) to gte a decent exposure.. I was thinking the R5 and the extra pixels would help as resizing does gte rid f a lot of noise

PS using JPG

I have looked throuhg about 50 pages of this thread and losing the will to live so I will ask instead :)

Has anyone used the R5 (not r6) in a dark enviroment and forced to use high ISO 51200 and/or above

I dont mean tests in half decent light.. I mean real poor lighting where you had to push the camera with wide open lens and high iso

I regularly have to use my 1dxII at iso 51200 f2.8 and maybe 600ss (moving subjects) to gte a decent exposure.. I was thinking the R5 and the extra pixels would help as resizing does gte rid f a lot of noise

PS using JPG
No as I limit iso. I’ll give it a try for you.

PS using JPG
Do Canon still offer the free "try out"...?

240 quid a week with a £1k deposit or free for 2 days which simply isnt enough
There's a 12-day free trial offer over the Christmas week if you get in quick. Still have to cover the deposit, but it's refunded as soon as the kit is returned.

Looks like my R3 should arrive Monday or Tuesday next week.

Having an R5 and an R6 already I know this wasn't an essential purchase, and I'll be selling the R6, but the 1DX was always the camera I longed to own, but having gone to full RF it's no longer an option so I've gone for the R3 and am very excited. :)

The RF 85mm f/1.2L should also arrive around the same time, I think this now fully completes my collection (or at least my wife is hoping so).

R5
R3
15-35mm 2.8
50mm 1.2
85mm 1.2
70-200 2.8
100-500 4.5-7.1

I've been so busy with work over the last 6 months that I haven't been out as much as I would have liked, my NY resolution is to spend a lot more time out with my camera in 2022.

Again the 85mm 1.2 was a 'want' rather than a 'need'. I had it for a weekend on a Canon test drive and really didn't want to send it back. That was over a year ago and I've finally given in. :ROFLMAO:

There's a 12-day free trial offer over the Christmas week if you get in quick. Still have to cover the deposit, but it's refunded as soon as the kit is returned.

I went as soon as i got the email off canon.... nohting left worth hiring..no r5 :(

Looks like my R3 should arrive Monday or Tuesday next week.

Having an R5 and an R6 already I know this wasn't an essential purchase, and I'll be selling the R6, but the 1DX was always the camera I longed to own, but having gone to full RF it's no longer an option so I've gone for the R3 and am very excited. :)

The RF 85mm f/1.2L should also arrive around the same time, I think this now fully completes my collection (or at least my wife is hoping so).

R5
R3
15-35mm 2.8
50mm 1.2
85mm 1.2
70-200 2.8
100-500 4.5-7.1

I've been so busy with work over the last 6 months that I haven't been out as much as I would have liked, my NY resolution is to spend a lot more time out with my camera in 2022.

Again the 85mm 1.2 was a 'want' rather than a 'need'. I had it for a weekend on a Canon test drive and really didn't want to send it back. That was over a year ago and I've finally given in. :ROFLMAO:
Christmas is coming early!

hope you enjoy as much as I did when I first got 1DXM2 :)

The 2 days is a full 2 days, if you get it for the weekend, it’ll be delivered Friday (mine was delivered Thursday) and they pick it up Monday.

I set it up Friday evening, had a full day shooting Saturday and a shoot on Sunday afternoon. Was more than enough time for the way I’d set it.

But as above; they’re doing 12 days at Christmas.

The 2 days is a full 2 days, if you get it for the weekend, it’ll be delivered Friday (mine was delivered Thursday) and they pick it up Monday.

I set it up Friday evening, had a full day shooting Saturday and a shoot on Sunday afternoon. Was more than enough time for the way I’d set it.

But as above; they’re doing 12 days at Christmas.

I tried to do that:) couple of weeks ago.. wouldnt let me include weekend,... i thought haha knows what i am up to ..maybe i tried it wrong......

But as above.. I went on as soon as i got canon email and no r5s for hire over christmas :(

I would love to have used this offer in February 2022 when I actually have a shoot to go to, as 2 days over Xmas is just pants as most of will trying to enjoy festival season !

I would love to have used this offer in February 2022 when I actually have a shoot to go to, as 2 days over Xmas is just pants as most of will trying to enjoy festival season !
The Christmas offer is a free hire of 12 days (delivered 22nd Dec collection 4th January). Unsurprisingly there isn’t much left. The only lens I can see for me to hire would the 100-400 EF, but I’d said to myself when recently moving over I’d like a f4 minimum lens so it wouldn’t really to be a lens I should be interested in. The 300mm f4 seems to be too old a lens to be on the hire list.

I can see your point with timing the hire over a weekend you have something going on. I’m tempted to hire the 400mm f4 for a weekend during the deer rut next year. It would be the ideal time as I’d definitely have subjects suitable for that lens and be able to give it a proper test too.

Back