Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Strange issue with R5 using circular polariser filter. 100/500 and 100/400mk2 nice and sharp on subject say 100m away without filter but using a circular polariser filter image is out of focus I have different makes Hoya pro ,jessops K&F x2 with all different results ?none of which is sharp . 100/400 worked fine on old 1dx mk2.Question is camera at fault ,settings or do I just need a filter from the likes of B&W etc anybody else had this issue.

Strange issue with R5 using circular polariser filter. 100/500 and 100/400mk2 nice and sharp on subject say 100m away without filter but using a circular polariser filter image is out of focus I have different makes Hoya pro ,jessops K&F x2 with all different results ?none of which is sharp . 100/400 worked fine on old 1dx mk2.Question is camera at fault ,settings or do I just need a filter from the likes of B&W etc anybody else had this issue.
I’ve been using haida CPL on the EF 100-400mk2 and canon drop-in CPLs for the EF teles with no issue. Do you have examples to show the problem? What AF mode and what did the camera focus on?

Firmware 1.5.2 now available for the R6 in case anyone missed it:

Firmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
2. Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects.

Considering switching to an R6 from an R, one of the reasons is the eye tracking could be useful for the live music I shoot. At the moment I have one on order, but I'm now wondering if i'd be better putting the money into an RF equivalent 24-70 lens and sticking with the R. I currently use 24-70 L series lenses with an RF adaptor. Simply looking for advice guys.

Considering switching to an R6 from an R, one of the reasons is the eye tracking could be useful for the live music I shoot. At the moment I have one on order, but I'm now wondering if i'd be better putting the money into an RF equivalent 24-70 lens and sticking with the R. I currently use 24-70 L series lenses with an RF adaptor. Simply looking for advice guys.
I'm using the EF 24-70L on R and R5 and get good results with both. However, for live music and stage events generally, I get better results with prime lenses (all still EF). Where is the R falling short? Lighting can be challenging and the R6 may well have an edge, not only with eye-tracking which will work well went the talent is well lit, but also the people object tracking which will keep the focus on the head even when the eyes are not lit well.

I'm using the EF 24-70L on R and R5 and get good results with both. However, for live music and stage events generally, I get better results with prime lenses (all still EF). Where is the R falling short? Lighting can be challenging and the R6 may well have an edge, not only with eye-tracking which will work well went the talent is well lit, but also the people object tracking which will keep the focus on the head even when the eyes are not lit well.

I always use my EF 24-105L lens with my R6, much better than when used with my 5d4, I take a lot of video at gigs in pubs so gets quite dark at times

Thanks Tim, Its a while since I shot any gigs until last week and I found the eye tracking on the R a little sporadic. Yes agreed a prime lens is ideal. Only issue is you don't always know how close you can get to the stage etc, hence why I tend to use the 24-70. I think my concern was is it worth the upgrade between the two? And you've put my mind at rest that EF with an adaptor shouldn't be that much different to an RF version. Below a shot from one of the gigs 'Lia Metcalfe of The Mysterines'

Attachments

• RES.774.jpg
    RES.774.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

You could always try Canon’s 48 hour test drive before you commit and then decide if it’s worth upgrading for you.

Thanks Tim, Its a while since I shot any gigs until last week and I found the eye tracking on the R a little sporadic. Yes agreed a prime lens is ideal. Only issue is you don't always know how close you can get to the stage etc, hence why I tend to use the 24-70. I think my concern was is it worth the upgrade between the two? And you've put my mind at rest that EF with an adaptor shouldn't be that much different to an RF version. Below a shot from one of the gigs 'Lia Metcalfe of The Mysterines'
I've read that the AF works better with RF lenses than EF but have no personal experience with RF lenses. In normal well-lit conditions, I'm getting close to 100% keeper rate using adapted EF lenses. In difficult conditions, it's less although better than I manage with DSLR. I've checked the stats for a recent difficult stage show with fast action, complex lighting, haze and fog where I used R5 with people detect and eye-tracking and 1DXM2. The keeper rates, combining the AF performance as well as my own performance for timing and composition was 65% for the R5 and 30% for the 1DXM2.

So far I have found that RF lenses focus is slightly faster, more accurate and stickier for Eye and Face AF. Saying that - I do prefer single spot as I have more control over which subject etc. It would be nice to cycle through subjects in the frame with Face and eye detect. I believe you get more control in that respect on the Sony bodies

So far I have found that RF lenses focus is slightly faster, more accurate and stickier for Eye and Face AF. Saying that - I do prefer single spot as I have more control over which subject etc. It would be nice to cycle through subjects in the frame with Face and eye detect. I believe you get more control in that respect on the Sony bodies

I thought it was possible to change subject with face and eye detect--on the R5 I just cycle through with the joystick, the R6's manual suggests it should do similar?

Screenshot 2022-03-18 094353.png

Last edited:
I thought it was possible to change subject with face and eye detect--on the R5 I just cycle through with the joystick, the R6's manual suggests it should do similar?
Not in Al Servo as far as I can tell?

Ah, you are indeed correct. Only when the AF point is set to face detect rather than spot.

I didn't realise that--a tad annoying! :LOL:
Maybe they will enhance options in future

You could always try Canon’s 48 hour test drive before you commit and then decide if it’s worth upgrading for you.

and after the trial Canon offer you a 5% discount- though I guess you could find better prices elsewhere

I haven’t used the R, but I got the R6 on test drive and the eye AF was genuinely like witchcraft.

The Canon test drive program is genuinely the best bit of marketing I’ve ever encountered.

I've read that the AF works better with RF lenses than EF but have no personal experience with RF lenses. In normal well-lit conditions, I'm getting close to 100% keeper rate using adapted EF lenses. In difficult conditions, it's less although better than I manage with DSLR. I've checked the stats for a recent difficult stage show with fast action, complex lighting, haze and fog where I used R5 with people detect and eye-tracking and 1DXM2. The keeper rates, combining the AF performance as well as my own performance for timing and composition was 65% for the R5 and 30% for the 1DXM2.
Good to hear your personal experience, thanks for sharing. Also reassuring that your 1dxii lunches a load of images - it's not just me!

Commence my trawling of this thread. R5 ordered to replace an aging 5D3 - great to see so many folk having positive experiences making the switch to this body
I switched from a 5Dmkii to the R5. No regrets and I am sure I am only using a fraction of its functionality and capability. I’m the limiting factor not the camera!

I switched from a 5Dmkii to the R5. No regrets and I am sure I am only using a fraction of its functionality and capability. I’m the limiting factor not the camera!
Really good to hear, I've years of experience in being the limiting factor, so it's good to know that will continue to be the case. Very much looking forward to the improved AF, I've heard very good things

Commence my trawling of this thread. R5 ordered to replace an aging 5D3 - great to see so many folk having positive experiences making the switch to this body

I think you will greatly appreciate the resolution, dynamic range for landscapes and the focus speed/accuracy for your motorsport images.

Good to hear your personal experience, thanks for sharing. Also reassuring that your 1dxii lunches a load of images - it's not just me!
Haha the 1DXM2 is still a great camera. This example was very challenging in a theatre with lots of movement, rapidly changing light levels and color, spot lights a lot of red, fog and haze. In good lighting conditions my keeper rate is more like 85% which I thought was great at the time. The R cameras have taken it to another level.

Haha the 1DXM2 is still a great camera. This example was very challenging in a theatre with lots of movement, rapidly changing light levels and color, spot lights a lot of red, fog and haze. In good lighting conditions my keeper rate is more like 85% which I thought was great at the time. The R cameras have taken it to another level.
That's good to hear! I do love my 1dxii - but amazed that modern cameras are even better!

@TimHughes thanks for sharing the video on the focus settings. Watching it was a bit like pulling teeth :LOL: but it made a difference today. My camera is now set up so that I can always manually focus without having to alter the switch on the lens. It came in handy when I came across this kestrel having it's lunch on the cliff top.
Too much grass, but I'd have got nothing with autofocus.

20220318-BCR_4759.jpg20220318-BCR_4647.jpg

totally agree have bought camera and 2 lens as a result of tests in this way
I’ve done the same. Tried the R6 and 24-105mm f4 and ended up in the process of moving from Sony. I’ve just put myself down on the RF 14-35 f4 as I’ve been waiting for that to become available. I’m also thinking of trying the EF 400mm f4 in the autumn but really unsure as that quite an expensive lens to buy. The test drive can potentially get expensive! Great marketing tool by canon though. Really surprised other companies don’t do it (I think olympus do).

I’ve done the same. Tried the R6 and 24-105mm f4 and ended up in the process of moving from Sony. I’ve just put myself down on the RF 14-35 f4 as I’ve been waiting for that to become available. I’m also thinking of trying the EF 400mm f4 in the autumn but really unsure as that quite an expensive lens to buy. The test drive can potentially get expensive! Great marketing tool by canon though. Really surprised other companies don’t do it (I think olympus do).
Interesting that you moved on from Sony to the bright side ......... :) :p

Interesting that you moved on from Sony to the bright side ......... :) :p
I initially moved to Sony when they were the only mirrorless full frame option. Times have changed since then with both Nikon and canon joining. My main issue was I wanted a faster long lens than the 100-400 which didn’t many options. The Sony 400 f2.8 was too large/heavy and too expensive for me and there wasn’t really any other options available. Older EF canon lenses are supposed to work well on the RF cameras so give more options in my price range. I’ve still not decide which way I’m going with a faster lens.

I tried the test drive to see how the R6 was and was pleasantly surprised. The smaller sized 70-200 f4 was a draw too as there isn’t anything on Sony like it. The size of the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 is great for landscapes as I don’t like to carry heavy kit if I can get away with it. I’m trying to condense kit to the minimum I need so maybe a long lens if I do more wildlife or an UWA if I get more into landscapes.

I initially moved to Sony when they were the only mirrorless full frame option. Times have changed since then with both Nikon and canon joining. My main issue was I wanted a faster long lens than the 100-400 which didn’t many options. The Sony 400 f2.8 was too large/heavy and too expensive for me and there wasn’t really any other options available. Older EF canon lenses are supposed to work well on the RF cameras so give more options in my price range. I’ve still not decide which way I’m going with a faster lens.

I tried the test drive to see how the R6 was and was pleasantly surprised. The smaller sized 70-200 f4 was a draw too as there isn’t anything on Sony like it. The size of the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 is great for landscapes as I don’t like to carry heavy kit if I can get away with it. I’m trying to condense kit to the minimum I need so maybe a long lens if I do more wildlife or an UWA if I get more into landscapes.
I was on Sony camp while waiting for Canon to do something on their mirrorless after the R and RP fiasco. The Sony 400mm 2.8 was fantastic lens I handhold most of the time when I was running a workshop in Japan. Now that Canon has substantiate answer with their R5, I sold my Sony lot. Time for Canon to bring out those DO lenses! I envy Sony 200-600mm and Nikon's 500 PF.

Olympus do 'Test and Wow', the same sort of idea, and have done it for a few years I think. It is free, but you have to leave a deposit.

Here are a couple of animals I detected yesterday - I was on a walk looking for birds and forgot to change it - again... :rolleyes:
Whites look a bit blown here although the histogram looks okay. Maybe I need to roll them back a bit.

20220318-BCR_4216.jpg

20220318-BCR_4204.jpg

Mega excited due to take delivery tomorrow all being well of a Canon R5 and 24-105 lens. I’m calling it an early birthday present to me. Looking forward to returning to Canon as I started out with canon years ago . No doubt will be back for experts advice when I stumble across a problem. Now the decision is which lenses do I need to suit my photographic needs..... There are a few on my list And I’ve been you tubing whilst waiting confirmation of delivery. Definitely want a long tele zoom and can’t decide between the Ef 100-400 Mk ii or to go for the cheaper RF version 100-400 . Also looking to purchase a macro lens. Does anybody here use the RF version. Some of the you tube videos I’ve watched are a bit marmite on the SA control. Interested to hear peoples view of any of these lenses. Sadly for my pocket there are other lenses on my list but these are likely to be added to my kit quite quickly

Mega excited due to take delivery tomorrow all being well of a Canon R5 and 24-105 lens. I’m calling it an early birthday present to me. Looking forward to returning to Canon as I started out with canon years ago . No doubt will be back for experts advice when I stumble across a problem. Now the decision is which lenses do I need to suit my photographic needs..... There are a few on my list And I’ve been you tubing whilst waiting confirmation of delivery. Definitely want a long tele zoom and can’t decide between the Ef 100-400 Mk ii or to go for the cheaper RF version 100-400 . Also looking to purchase a macro lens. Does anybody here use the RF version. Some of the you tube videos I’ve watched are a bit marmite on the SA control. Interested to hear peoples view of any of these lenses. Sadly for my pocket there are other lenses on my list but these are likely to be added to my kit quite quickly
I have the RF 100-400 and I have been very surprised by how sharp it is. It suits my needs well. I mainly shoot aviation, however I have shot some wildlife with it with great success (no BIF yet though). The cost was a factor (I’d love the 100-500L but can’t afford it right now) as was the weight - it’s a very lightweight lens. I’ve never owned the 100-400 MkII, but I did own the MkI many years ago. It’s hard to compare as I only used it on a crop body, but I’d say they were close. The MkII gets great reviews though.

I’m undecided on the macro front. The EF100L macro is an incredible lens (why did I sell it?!), so I might get one of those for how much I’d use it. Second hand they are going for around £500 these days. It’s a big saving if you have an adaptor.

Last edited:
Back