Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I was out again this morning following the local rut. There weren't many stags to be found although I did come across this Sika deer.

This is taken at 500mm f7.1 1/500sec and ISO 5000 with the R6 and RF 100-500. For ISO5000 in shade and what's probably the lowest shutter speed I'd go with I'm happy with the noise (I've done some noise reduction to the background only in Lightroom).

For some reason the IQ of the photo (direct forum attachment) is lower than the copy on my computer.
20221008-C_R60953.jpg

Last edited:
I have the old version of the 55-250m IS lens - which is not the best quality, being one of the early lenses released by Canon (circa 2007).

So by this I would rate this lens a little underwhelming for the new R series (and other mirrored cameras!)

Anyway, seeing as it's the only zoom lens aside from the R10's 18-45mm kit lens that I have, today I took it for a spin around Preston marina. These are from around the 1.7 mile walk around the dock.

Originally opened by HRH Prince Albert in 1892, the Albert Edward Dock was once a busy ferry port (part of the port that closed in 1981). The overhead crane was constructed in 1958 to lift the 100 ton lock gates, but is used rarely now for the occasional boat lift (never seen or known it lift anything while I have lived here!)

Processing on all these is through LR to a TIFF before finally being reduced and sharpened using a Greg Benz plug-in...

marina_a_benz_1800-XL.jpg

dragons_a_4k_benz_1800-XL.jpg

dinghy_a_4k_benz_1800-XL.jpg

marina_b_4k_benz_1800-XL.jpg

Pulleys_a_4k_benz_1800-XL.jpg

princes_reach_a_4k_benz_1800-XL.jpg

Old_man_a_4k_benz_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

R6 MK2 rumours have appeared. Probably not too soon but if I can still have any say then top LCD and much better evf and better battery life at same price point would my my wish list. Would be an instant upgrade

Noooooo…Keep the PASM dial. Don’t need a top lcd!
I didn't say anything about removing the dial. But LCD is needed like all proper cameras pre RF days. 1dx are different and that's not necessarily the best way...

Does the R7 have the ’eye’ controlled focusing?

I'm patient but getting fed up of waiting for my R7 now, especially as they are available grey.

I'm tempted to cancel, and get the Fuji X-H2 (announced after the R7 and available) and Fuji 150-600, or possibly, the 100-400.

A plea to members, please talk me out of it, I'm already in the doghouse with the missus and this might not help.

;)

Last edited:
Just had an email from WEX asking for me to update my payment details, as my R7 is now in stock.
This would be good news but i cancelled
I called WEX to explain that i had cancelled the order a few weeks ago………My R7 will be here on Friday :)
I have no will power.
No real excitement, ive hardly used what i already have this year, but i know id have gotten it at some point, so might as well now.

Last edited:
I'm patient but getting fed up of waiting for my R7 now, especially as they are available grey.

I'm tempted to cancel, and get the Fuji X-H2 (announced after the R7 and available) and Fuji 150-600, or possibly, the 100-400.

A plea to members, please talk me out of it, I'm already in the doghouse with the missus and this might not help.

;)

Patience is a virtue. Once you have received your camera and have tried it out for a few months you will forget about the long wait.

Update.

I've taken a sensible pill and scrapped any notion (for now ;) ) of cancelling my R7 and getting the Fuji.

I e-mailed LCE today and they were great, as always. I wasn't going to trouble them as I know it's out of their hands. Anyway, I did and they told me that they have fulfilled orders upto the 4th June. Mine was ordered on the 7th. My camera is one of the next ones to go out, when Canon send the next batch, although they have no date as Canon aren't saying.

I really do like that Fuji stuff though. ;)

First image is the dew on a welsh poppy.

The springtail images are possibly Isotomurus sp. - and measured maybe 1mm or so in length, perhaps a touch longer. One of the elongate springtails. First photo was my "locator" and was quite a way back, just to try and get the camera and lens in a good position. Second one is at around 1.5:1 on the 85mm LAOWA lens.

Poppy_b-XL.jpg

autumn_tail_b_4k-XL.jpg

autumn_tail_a_4k-XL.jpg

Paul.

The problem with the R7 is it’s part of a global supply shortage of electronic components caused in part by the initial covid response and now extended by zero covid policy in China that is causing shutdowns and supply chain issues. It’s affecting all electronic based equipment including other camera/lens releases and high cost items such as electric vehicles (some state 12-18 months on orders of EV’s at present).

I know from orders of electronic equipment at my work the stated delivery date is pretty much useless as we know it will be delayed but no one can say when they will turn up. It’s likely to be pretty hard to get an accurate update when they themselves don’t know when or how many will turn up.

The issue I can see is that stock is appearing on grey sellers when pre orders throughout the world haven’t been fulfilled.

The lower price of the R7 compared to the R3/R5/R6 and the fact the ‘7’ symbolises a mirrorless replacement of the 7DII for many probably meant many more initial pre orders than other R cameras.

This is going to be an issue for all manufacturers in the short to medium term and is very likely out of their control. Ordering any electronic equipment that isn’t in stock in store is an issue at present and means a long wait.

I am a 7Dii owner which I purchased used to replace my 7D original, as I got bl**dy fed waiting for the long awaited 7Diii. The release date kept getting bushed back so many times I have lost count. The 7Dii community has waited so long that any new canon camera with the No 7 in will be labelled as the 7Diii

I enquired about availability from a grey supplier and received the following response:

This Canon R7 is readily available with our suppliers, as we do operate on a rolling stock system - our delivery estimate is currently between 3-7 working days.

However, the majority of our orders are fulfilled well within this time, therefore you can expect delivery potentially before the end of next week.

How can this be when those who have bought through non grey channels have had to wait for months and several are still waiting.

I enquired about availability from a grey supplier and received the following response:

This Canon R7 is readily available with our suppliers, as we do operate on a rolling stock system - our delivery estimate is currently between 3-7 working days.

However, the majority of our orders are fulfilled well within this time, therefore you can expect delivery potentially before the end of next week.

How can this be when those who have bought through non grey channels have had to wait for months and several are still waiting.
I would have a wild guess that this could be related https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=CNY&view=1Y

The way I understand the grey market is the companies bring the gear in themselves, obviously under the radar of customs.
Canon are having issues shipping to the rest of the world rather than manufacturing, so the cameras are readily available, just not through the legit channels.

I would imagine the grey market stock originates in the far east and they have a bigger allocation than the UK. Out of curiosity are you being quoted the same price for grey as official suppliers or is an extra margin being added ?

Would be interesting to know if consumers in the far east are suffering long delays for the R7 and potentially moaning about stock being sold abroad.....

The main reason I bought my R5 grey was that it was in stock and it was many more months before the UK dealers got stock. I got it within days.

I wonder if UK dealers are hamstrung by Canon? My local camera shop stopped supplying Canon. I cannot now remember the exact reason, but it was along the lines of they had to agree to hold a certain amount of stock if they wanted to supply the higher range items, or possibly any items. Anyway, I can’t get Canon locally now.

Female Coelichneumon desinatorius.

This is a mainly black species. The female however (as this is) has a broad pale band across the otherwise dark antennae.

I have (as far as I know) never seen one before in the garden - so always nice to see a new ichneumonid wasp!

ich_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ich_d_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ich_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ich_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ich_e_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Out of curiosity are you being quoted the same price for grey as official suppliers or is an extra margin being added ?
This supplier is very marginally higher than UK retail suppliers so you are paying a premium for the camera being in stock. I would like to see more reviews before I commit to mirrorless.

Female Coelichneumon desinatorius.

This is a mainly black species. The female however (as this is) has a broad pale band across the otherwise dark antennae.

I have (as far as I know) never seen one before in the garden - so always nice to see a new ichneumonid wasp!

Paul.

Some great detail there.

I have been in the process of moving house this week so not had any chance for photography but have noticed the new place seems to really attract all sorts of spiders which is great for me but I don't think my wife is overkeen :LOL:

This quick grab was taken the other day, they weren't there in the morning but but by the time we went to bed they had taken up residence in the corner of the bedroom.

Spider parent by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Some great detail there.

I have been in the process of moving house this week so not had any chance for photography but have noticed the new place seems to really attract all sorts of spiders which is great for me but I don't think my wife is overkeen :LOL:

This quick grab was taken the other day, they weren't there in the morning but but by the time we went to bed they had taken up residence in the corner of the bedroom.

Spider parent by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Cellar spiders. Brilliant to have. There's plenty in my shed but are usually upside down the the roof!

Paul.

The main reason I bought my R5 grey was that it was in stock and it was many more months before the UK dealers got stock. I got it within days.

I wonder if UK dealers are hamstrung by Canon? My local camera shop stopped supplying Canon. I cannot now remember the exact reason, but it was along the lines of they had to agree to hold a certain amount of stock if they wanted to supply the higher range items, or possibly any items. Anyway, I can’t get Canon locally now.
Just bought the wife an R5 from Panamoz, in stock and delivered within a week but what REALLY sold it, UK is around £4300 for just the body with 12 month warranty, this one was £3715 delivered including . . . . . ef-rf adaptor / spare original battery / 256gb sd card / 256 cf express type b card AND a three year warranty. Registered with CPS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting UK businesses but a saving of well over a grand is too good to miss, 'we' are all being shafted each and every day so why shouldn't we get a little back once in a while?

First day out with the R7 yesterday. A pretty drab day so not much to shoot (that I haven’t 100’s of times before).
First impressions are good, but no excitement. I sold my 5D4 and have been using my M50 a lot, and IQ seems comparable to that), so no ‘wow’ factor as far as end results go. Happy with the controls and layout, again, very familiar and it’s nice to have a few more buttons etc.
AF seems good. Can’t say I’ve quite got my head around all the new tracking stuff. Seems to be a 3 stage thing if I understand it correctly. Got a few buttons set up for this so I’m sure I’ll get that hang of it.
Bottom line for me is this is the camera I’ve been waiting for since I realised how much I love the M50, and happy with the IQ from a crop sensor.
I’ve got back a lot of the features I had on my 5D4, still got all the mirrorless feature I have on the M50, and then more of both added on top.
Also very happy I can use my EF 24-70 f/2.8 II hand held at 1 second in low light.

Only downside now is I sold a lot of my EF lenses off last year when I was made redundant. Still got a few but I need something like my EF-M 32mm f/1.4. (Which is on my M50 most of the time). I guess the 35 f/1.8 is the idea lens to do this.

Just a couple of lower res (not sure what the rules are about posting original size) mundane shots taken with my 70-300L yesterday. Hope to be able to contribute more now I have the camera.

Attachments

• FE469D85-E01F-4398-BEE6-22931E94456C.jpeg
    FE469D85-E01F-4398-BEE6-22931E94456C.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 5
  • B6533F35-88E8-44E6-AB53-8755D7B92B07.jpeg
    B6533F35-88E8-44E6-AB53-8755D7B92B07.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5
Just bought the wife an R5 from Panamoz, in stock and delivered within a week but what REALLY sold it, UK is around £4300 for just the body with 12 month warranty, this one was £3715 delivered including . . . . . ef-rf adaptor / spare original battery / 256gb sd card / 256 cf express type b card AND a three year warranty. Registered with CPS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting UK businesses but a saving of well over a grand is too good to miss, 'we' are all being shafted each and every day so why shouldn't we get a little back once in a while?
One of the plus points for me buying grey is the extra warranties that come with the products. Obviously we don’t know how it will pan out if we need to claim on it, but I have first hand experience with Panamoz’s warranty and it was excellent.

First day out with the R7 yesterday. A pretty drab day so not much to shoot (that I haven’t 100’s of times before).
First impressions are good, but no excitement.

Only downside now is I sold a lot of my EF lenses off last year when I was made redundant. Still got a few but I need something like my EF-M 32mm f/1.4. (Which is on my M50 most of the time). I guess the 35 f/1.8 is the idea lens to do this.

My first impressions have been much the same, after the 7D MKII and M5 I think I was expecting more for some reason and I still find the body much too small.

If you don't mind a slightly bulkier zoom I can recommend the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART in EF mount for the R7 ... chunky but the quality is excellent (and if you are into video I believe it's great for that as well)

Back