Canon EOS R Series Cameras

New firmware for R5 1.8.1 has a fancy pixel shift feature that you can make 400Mp jpegs, camera and subject has to be completely motionless apparently it stacks 6 images together not something I can see myself using though

Hi,
what is the best way to convert R7 RAW files to DNG in order to import them into LightRoom Classic Vr 8.1.
I have tried Canons DPP and there is no option to convert to DNG only tiff &j JPG !
I have also tried Adobe DNG and it can not even see the R7 RAW files !

Many thanks

T
I'm presuming you are using an older version of Windows ? I suffered with this until recently. I was using 8.1 and needed to have the camera connected to even download into DPP !

I think you may need to consider upgrading your OS - I note Adobe DNG converter requires Windows 10 to operate. There may be some shareware out there but you may need to be quite techie to get it to work.

New firmware for R5 1.8.1 has a fancy pixel shift feature that you can make 400Mp jpegs, camera and subject has to be completely motionless apparently it stacks 6 images together not something I can see myself using though
Interesting. It's good to see new features coming with firmware updates.
I wonder if the files will be huge?

Interesting. It's good to see new features coming with firmware updates.
I wonder if the files will be huge?
They are big files I can’t remember exactly
Yes it’s good they are still bringing out new features for the R5 as it’s been out a while

Hi,
what is the best way to convert R7 RAW files to DNG in order to import them into LightRoom Classic Vr 8.1.
I have tried Canons DPP and there is no option to convert to DNG only tiff &j JPG !
I have also tried Adobe DNG and it can not even see the R7 RAW files !

Many thanks

T
Have a look at DxO pure raw, that converts to dng and does a lovely job of noise reduction at the same time.

Accidentally on purpose...

This body will retire my 7D Mk. 2, which itself will probably retire my wife's 40D.
I still own my 7Dii after buying the R7 and I will not sell it, as the resale value is low, and it is still a very good back up camera...

I still own my 7Dii after buying the R7 and I will not sell it, as the resale value is low, and it is still a very good back up camera...

yep me too , shutter count is high on mine too so just not worth selling

yep me too , shutter count is high on mine too so just not worth selling
I am lucky I purchased my 7Dii with apx 16k shutter count, and I think I am still around 30k....
Even with this owner shutter count it is not worth much more on the price !

You didn’t used to but now they seem to insist on you getting insurance cover and providing cover details.

Yes, ive asked them who to use for a few days hire, you would think they would add it on at the end, make it a lot easier.

Doesnt say anywhere about you needing your own insurance, least i couldn't see it, till they asked me and it was in the small print, tems and conditions, nothing during the checkout process.

I see the Canon R5 can be bought brand new for as little as £2600 now which seems like such a bargain considering how good of a camera it is.

That may be the reason I come back to Canon rather than sticking with Sony.

I see the Canon R5 can be bought brand new for as little as £2600 now which seems like such a bargain considering how good of a camera it is.

That may be the reason I come back to Canon rather than sticking with Sony.

The R5 is a great camera but I went Sony purely for the lens selection. I do have an R7 for wildlife but there is nothing like the 200-600mm for Canon unlike Sony which has quite a choice. Same goes for third party lenses. The used lens market is also much bigger for Sony mount.

Last edited:
The R5 is a great camera but I went Sony purely for the lens selection. I do have an R7 for wildlife but there is nothing like the 200-600mm for Canon unlike Sony which has quite a choice. Same goes for third party lenses. The used lens market is also much bigger for Sony mount.

yes it’s a shame that Canon don’t make anything like that 200-600 , even if it was an F6.3 lens it would be really useful, but I believe that Canon is still a solid choice especially as the EF lenses work perfectly on the R5 , I’m still using all my EF lenses didn’t see any need to change them :)

I just wish Sony would adapt their internals into a Canon body, My Sony A7Riv is just too small for my hands but the R5 is perfect.

Hoping 2024 Canon finally allow 3rd party options for their RF mount.

yes it’s a shame that Canon don’t make anything like that 200-600 , even if it was an F6.3 lens it would be really useful, but I believe that Canon is still a solid choice especially as the EF lenses work perfectly on the R5 , I’m still using all my EF lenses didn’t see any need to change them :)
I'm in the same situation - getting great results from the R5 with all the EF lenses, yet to buy an RF one.

I'm in the same situation - getting great results from the R5 with all the EF lenses, yet to buy an RF one.

yes me too I’ve not yet bought an RF lens
I did consider the RF 100 macro but decided against it as it has some issues from focus shift and anyway my EF 100 L macro is so good that I’ll just carry on using it

I just wish Sony would adapt their internals into a Canon body, My Sony A7Riv is just too small for my hands but the R5 is perfect.

Hoping 2024 Canon finally allow 3rd party options for their RF mount.

Have you put a grip on the A7Riv ( or even one of the hand grips such as this ). I found my A9 too small (don't get me started on the R7) but put a grip on it and it's so much better now.

As for adapting lenses, I use my EF lenses on both Canon R7 and Sony A9 and they do work well but for me the 200-600mm is unbeatable for both the price and what I like to shoot.

yes me too I’ve not yet bought an RF lens
I did consider the RF 100 macro but decided against it as it has some issues from focus shift and anyway my EF 100 L macro is so good that I’ll just carry on using it

The EF 100mm L is a stellar lens adapted to the Sony as well, I haven't bothered buying a macro lens for the a9 (or a 70-200mm as I have the EF MKII Canon)

Have you put a grip on the A7Riv ( or even one of the hand grips such as this ). I found my A9 too small (don't get me started on the R7) but put a grip on it and it's so much better now.

As for adapting lenses, I use my EF lenses on both Canon R7 and Sony A9 and they do work well but for me the 200-600mm is unbeatable for both the price and what I like to shoot.
I’ve tried a battery grip on it and it wasn’t for me, it was better with the small rig cage around it but still not great.

Cursed with big hands :p

EF lenses yeah but the likes of Sigma and Tamron aren’t making new EF lenses anymore, they’re fully committed to Sony FE and now Nikon Z.

I am not sure of the technical details but if I understand correctly with Canon at least the lenses made by companies like Sigma and Tamron were reverse engineered to allow their lenses to function on a Canon body, Sigma etc have probably decided that it’s not worth their while especially as the market for high end camera gear is shrinking

I am not sure of the technical details but if I understand correctly with Canon at least the lenses made by companies like Sigma and Tamron were reverse engineered to allow their lenses to function on a Canon body, Sigma etc have probably decided that it’s not worth their while especially as the market for high end camera gear is shrinking

Viltrox recently bought out a few RF lenses and Canon Immidiately hit them with a cease production demand. I imagine no lens manufacturer is going to go against them by reverse engineering the mount whereas Sony gave them the information to do exactly the opposite and is a lot of the reason Sony has become so popular.

Viltrox recently bought out a few RF lenses and Canon Immidiately hit them with a cease production demand. I imagine no lens manufacturer is going to go against them by reverse engineering the mount whereas Sony gave them the information to do exactly the opposite and is a lot of the reason Sony has become so popular.

ahh I see I didn’t know about that, it sounds like Canon are being a bit shortsighted as they would sell more bodies if the mount became available to third party lens makers

Have a look at DxO pure raw, that converts to dng and does a lovely job of noise reduction at the same time.

Hi,
DxO work a treat and I have converted my files. I have only got the 30 day free trial and will give it some consideration about the £115 Purchase fee !

I'm presuming you are using an older version of Windows ? I suffered with this until recently. I was using 8.1 and needed to have the camera connected to even download into DPP !

I think you may need to consider upgrading your OS - I note Adobe DNG converter requires Windows 10 to operate. There may be some shareware out there but you may need to be quite techie to get it to work.
Hi,
I am running Windows 10 and I have Adobe DNG convertor which does not recognise the R7 RAW files, however windows 10 can display them !
Adobe DNG can convert my Sony A6600 RAW files so I can import them in my Lightroom Classis 8.1 and because of this I often take my A6600 out and mate my canon EF L lenses via sigma MC-11 EF to E mount adapter.
I would pay for lenses & specific camera updates for my 8.1 as I do not want to upgrade to current Lightroom and pay subscription charge for the rest of my life ! lol

Hi,
I am running windows 10, Lightroom vr 8.1, and I have Adobe DNG which can not read my R7 RAW files, however it can read and convert my Sony A6600 RAW files.
If Adobe would offer deals were I could buy data files for new lenses and specific cameras as I do not want to have subscription to Abode for life !

BTW are you a Tax consultant ! ? lol

Hi,
I am running windows 10, Lightroom vr 8.1, and I have Adobe DNG which can not read my R7 RAW files, however it can read and convert my Sony A6600 RAW files.
If Adobe would offer deals were I could buy data files for new lenses and specific cameras as I do not want to have subscription to Abode for life !

BTW are you a Tax consultant ! ? lol
Sounds like Adobe are backing you into the subscription route. I note you have tried DXO as an alternative, will Affinity work as it's a little less expensive?

I used to be a Chartered Tax Adviser before retirement..... exciting stuff

Sounds like Adobe are backing you into the subscription route. I note you have tried DXO as an alternative, will Affinity work as it's a little less expensive?

I used to be a Chartered Tax Adviser before retirement..... exciting stuff
Adobe is all about subscription as they can tie you in for very long time, I have not looked at Affinity so I will look in to it !

As for Tax, well I may have a question about Capital Gains on a Rented Property ! ! ! lol

Back