Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Hi,
DxO work a treat and I have converted my files. I have only got the 30 day free trial and will give it some consideration about the £115 Purchase fee !
DXO is excellent I use it in conjunction with affinity photo

I used canons software for years.

It worked brilliantly and in many ways it understands Canon files better than LR. However it was much slower to use for large numbers of files.

I’d definitely try it for a while before spending on anything else.

Adobe is all about subscription as they can tie you in for very long time, I have not looked at Affinity so I will look in to it !
It took me a while to move to the subscription as I felt like you that I didn’t want to be locked into the subscription model. It was only once I looked into the other aspects of the plan other than Lightroom that I worked out it would work out ok for me. The thing that settled it for me was that Adobe portfolio gave me a good photography website so I could drop zenfolio. You can have more than one website (up to 5 I think) so I’ve recently started to build another (non photography) website.

The monthly price of £10.48 is quite off putting, but I’ve yet to pay that monthly price as I’ve always bought a years subscription on Amazon when it’s on sale. I’ve paid between £60-75 each year (£5-6.25 a month) so quite a saving on the Adobe monthly cost of £10.42. Factoring in my previous annual cost for zenfolio in makes Lightroom about £10-25 a year for me.

Having new camera and lens profiles can be useful but they do add some useful features too. The recent subject and sky masking options have been fantastic and one feature that saves me so much time. That alone would have been a reason I bought a new standalone version.

It took me a while to move to the subscription as I felt like you that I didn’t want to be locked into the subscription model. It was only once I looked into the other aspects of the plan other than Lightroom that I worked out it would work out ok for me. The thing that settled it for me was that Adobe portfolio gave me a good photography website so I could drop zenfolio. You can have more than one website (up to 5 I think) so I’ve recently started to build another (non photography) website.

The monthly price of £10.48 is quite off putting, but I’ve yet to pay that monthly price as I’ve always bought a years subscription on Amazon when it’s on sale. I’ve paid between £60-75 each year (£5-6.25 a month) so quite a saving on the Adobe monthly cost of £10.42. Factoring in my previous annual cost for zenfolio in makes Lightroom about £10-25 a year for me.

Having new camera and lens profiles can be useful but they do add some useful features too. The recent subject and sky masking options have been fantastic and one feature that saves me so much time. That alone would have been a reason I bought a new standalone version.
I have wondered about doing the Amazon deal for subscription, and the only thing that put e off is trying to a Amazon deal every year for the for eternity ! ! !

I have wondered about doing the Amazon deal for subscription, and the only thing that put e off is trying to an Amazon deal every year for the for eternity ! ! !
You’re not tied in.
It’s a one off purchase of a years subscription

I have wondered about doing the Amazon deal for subscription, and the only thing that put e off is trying to a Amazon deal every year for the for eternity ! ! !
their deal prices come up a few times a year (Black Friday, Christmas, prime day etc) and you can stack more than. I try to keep a couple of years stacked so I don't have worry about missing a deal.

Last edited:
I used canons software for years.

It worked brilliantly and in many ways it understands Canon files better than LR. However it was much slower to use for large numbers of files.

I’d definitely try it for a while before spending on anything else.
I resisted moving to Lightroom for ages as nothing seemed to render the Canon raw files like the Canon software - no surprise.
I do hate the subscription model though, and after 7 years moved to Photolab - which I've found much slower than Lightroom, but otherwise I prefer it.

It is the database function of LR that originally that drew me to the software. The editing has just continued to improve over the years. If anything has a better database function I may be tempted to change.

It is the database function of LR that originally that drew me to the software. The editing has just continued to improve over the years. If anything has a better database function I may be tempted to change.
Yes it is hard to beat. I went on an expensive journey and now use Photo Mechanic Plus - partly because I was doing some paid work and needed to rate and cull fast. I started with the basic version (Photo Mechanic) which doesn’t include a database.

PM+ is an expensive option and there is a learning curve, but I think it is brilliant. I use a catalog per year, and unlike Lightroom, I can browse and search all catalogs at once just by ticking a box, no opening of catalogs, and it will tell me on which hard drive my photos reside. Just yesterday it took me seconds to locate a photo from Paris which it turns out I took in 2014.

edit: just to add, Photo Mechanic Plus is not a software for editing photos.

Last edited:
They are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market other than for pros and wealthy enthusiasts. Perhaps this is their business plan. I have been a Canon user for over 40 years but given their current prices and their refusal to allow 3 party lenses, I am tempted to move brands.

They are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market other than for pros and wealthy enthusiasts. Perhaps this is their business plan. I have been a Canon user for over 40 years but given their current prices and their refusal to allow 3 party lenses, I am tempted to move brands.
I’m in the process of researching Olympus kit and I’ve used Canon since I took up photography 22 years ago. Never been tempted before but I shoot with a 500mm f4 IS and 1DXII and now the lens is not supported I’m concerned that if something goes wrong I can’t afford to replace it. I love my RP but the issue for me is the lens.

Thinking of getting out whilst it still has some value. I’m also not using it as much and the Olympus 300mm is a fraction of the size so I’m more likely to use it when out and about doing other things. Yes it has limitations but the temptation is getting stronger.

Neil

I’m in the process of researching Olympus kit and I’ve used Canon since I took up photography 22 years ago. Never been tempted before but I shoot with a 500mm f4 IS and 1DXII and now the lens is not supported I’m concerned that if something goes wrong I can’t afford to replace it. I love my RP but the issue for me is the lens.

Thinking of getting out whilst it still has some value. I’m also not using it as much and the Olympus 300mm is a fraction of the size so I’m more likely to use it when out and about doing other things. Yes it has limitations but the temptation is getting stronger.

Neil
I have a foot in both camps and my 300mm f/4 is my most used lens. I love it. It will take the 1.4 extender well.

If you’re interested I can give a more detailed view of the practicalities of using the R5 versus the OM1… in my hands. Neither is perfect… for me. I have the RF100-500 lens - the cost of the long prime Canon lenses was what tipped me further into Olympus/OM. The flexibility of a zoom is great, but I’m nearly always at the long end.

I took the plunge and bought the Camvate half cage for my R7 - got if from AliExpress for £21 inc VAT and delivery. Have to say it's quite a sturdy bit of kit and not especially heavy. I added an Arca plate to enable it to go to portrait format

Here are my initial thoughts compared with the L bracket

1) It pretty much enables full flexible use of the screen without worrying about catching it in the slot of the L bracket
2) If you need to use a wired remote this may be problematic as the Arca plate covers the slot - there is access to the HDMI cover - I would imagine this is because cages are aimed at the video market rather than stills. Not an issue for me as I use a cordless remote
3) I'm currently using EF lenses with the adapter so this pushes the lens release forward. It is a little tight to access and definitely not with gloves - might be a little fiddlier for RF lens users who need to access the release on the body
4) The top section of the cage does limit access to the mode dial from the top - you just need to adjust it from the side - again I would imagine this might be trickier wearing gloves. If this top section was removed this would be great from my perspective - there may be further versions - who knows
5) I can now attach my Peak Capture plate - this is a specific issue if you have a 3LT bracket as you need to buy the Capture version. There is no problem accessing battery or card slots

In summary I think it comes down to what is more important to you; the L bracket is a more elegant solution but restricts screen movement. The half cage is clunkier but gives full screen movement. Hope this helps anyone going through the process of getting a bracket for their R7

their deal prices come up a few times a year (Black Friday, Christmas, prime day etc) and you can stack more than. I try to keep a couple of years stacked so I don't have worry about missing a deal.
Thanks for the insight, I did not know that ! ! :)

Despite me starting this thread in 2018 I have only just become an owner of a R-series body, the R6 Mk2. After struggling with the consistency of my 90D’s AF when using the OVF (Liveview was great though, as it used Dual-pixel AF), I bit the bullet.

I’m sure there’s a wealth of information on here which I’ll find useful, and I’m looking forward to experiencing the fantastic AF & tracking of my new body.

I have a foot in both camps and my 300mm f/4 is my most used lens. I love it. It will take the 1.4 extender well.

If you’re interested I can give a more detailed view of the practicalities of using the R5 versus the OM1… in my hands. Neither is perfect… for me. I have the RF100-500 lens - the cost of the long prime Canon lenses was what tipped me further into Olympus/OM. The flexibility of a zoom is great, but I’m nearly always at the long end.
I have the 100-500 too - but hanker after the f4 thing at 300mm (and having a 420 5.6 available from my pocket)- which lens do you find gets the best images at 300mm? - you seem to indicate that you use the 300 more than the zoom

Thanks

Dave

I have the 100-500 too - but hanker after the f4 thing at 300mm (and having a 420 5.6 available from my pocket)- which lens do you find gets the best images at 300mm? - you seem to indicate that you use the 300 more than the zoom

Thanks

Dave

If you want 300mm F4, I'D recomend the EF 300 F4 IS - I used it until upgrading to the 100-500 and I think its probably my favorite lens up until that point!

Random question - does anyone know a good lens dust cover for a 100-500.

I am ideally looking for one with a flexible cover for the zoom extention - a lot of the ones I've found have a tight fitting cover that looks like it won't keep dust out and won't allow you too zoom. I am looking for one like this, but

A.) Cheeper - thats a horendously expensive price for what it is.
B.) not such a garish colour. Something black ideally

If you want 300mm F4, I'D recomend the EF 300 F4 IS - I used it until upgrading to the 100-500 and I think its probably my favorite lens up until that point!
The 300mm on Olympus is equivalent to 600mm focal length on the Canon (FF), at a fraction of the price, size and weight.

Thanks

Dave
I do use the Oly more, but sometimes I struggle choosing which to take :ROFLMAO: Lately I’ve been taking the zoom more because there are hares about and it’s more flexible if they get close. Usually I’m using the zoom fully extended in any case. I tend to take the Oly if I've more walking to do or when travelling, or I’ve just got the camera with me ‘in case’ a photo opportunity arises.

It’s a tough comparison because it’s effective 600mm and little scope to crop, or 500mm and much more crop-ability. I’ll see if I can find some examples to compare. I never have both with me.

I am ideally looking for one with a flexible cover for the zoom extention - a lot of the ones I've found have a tight fitting cover that looks like it won't keep dust out and won't allow you too zoom. I am looking for one like this, but

I have their lens covers Try these their gear is fantastic well bade and would recommend them https://www.outdoorphotographygear.co.uk

Reactions: A_S
Thanks for replying - under advisement I think I'll stick to the 100-500 - I'm off to Mull next week and believe that I'll need to stop down anyway to get a whole eagle in focus - the 100-500 maxes at 5.6 at 300 anyway

and the zoom may well come in handy too

Dave

Reactions: A_S
I've just bought this for my lens

TBH I don't think all of it will stay on

the cover for the extending part is good as long as you want to shot at 500mm and not zoom - it does stop the barrel retracting (as you would expect)

but all of the rings make using the lens a bit of a bu88er

I reckon I'lll leave bits 1, 3 and 5 on

IMG_2038 (1).jpeg

I did pick a roll of this up (on eBay IIRC)

and had it stuck to the lens - worked like a charm - protecting the lens well and making me invisible to critters

However I'd left a few wrinkles in the wrap around the curvy parts of the hood and removed it (no problem there as advertised) thinking I would get another roll

and now I can't find any UK stockists

:-(

Thanks for the suggestions @isobarik thats exactly a reason I don't want a cover like the no2 bit on the zoom area, most of the ones I've seen are like that which just makes them not fit for purpose

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the rubber gromit in place that protects the accessory shoe on the R3? Mine keeps on getting pulled off when I take the camera out of my bag, leaving me scrabbling around the dark recesses of the bag to locate it. I've taken to leaving it off rather than lose it!

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the rubber gromit in place that protects the accessory shoe on the R3? Mine keeps on getting pulled off when I take the camera out of my bag, leaving me scrabbling around the dark recesses of the bag to locate it. I've taken to leaving it off rather than lose it!
was talking to some pro football snappers, they have had to buy cheep copies and keep them on with electrical tape.

was talking to some pro football snappers, they have had to buy cheep copies and keep them on with electrical tape.
My hot shoe is covered with gaffer tape to prevent any rain getting in. I've noticed a few guys hold on the cover with gaffer tape too.

Last edited:
Damn that hot shoe cover - covered a whole season racing, rain cover on and off and never had an issue - went to Iceland feb/mar one rainy day the rain cover must have dragged over the shoe at just the right angle and. . . . gone :-( found a couple of replacements on line - hopefully will stay on - can't bring myself to stick tape on the camera lol

Back