Canon EOS R Series Cameras

It's seems odd that some people do not suffer at all from the pulsing issue.
It's a shame I couldn't order one on the condition that if it did have the pulsing issues I could return it.
Could try to get a used one from the likes of MPB, test and return if any issue. MPB would check condition of lens if returned and you would pay for cost of return postage

The pulsing issue is presumably related to the firmware version on the lens... But you need the separate USB dock to do that.

A question about extension tubes for the R7. Do I need to buy Canon OEM or will third party work equally as well. I know there's no glass but wondering if the R7 has issues with the non Canon connections
Canon are not sharing any data with 3rd parties lens manufactures, and that will extend to manufactures of accessories for RF mount.
So I suspect any 3rd party lens extension tubes will not work properly, only canon product may work 100%, and even then I suspect any old products may struggle with data communication via EF-RF adaptor to R7 !

Since an extension tube is exactly that: a tube, the only thing that needs to happen in terms of maintaining equality with the Canon part is to have straight through conductors from one aperture to the other.

Other thing I'd be much more concerned about (for an extension tube) is the mechanical quality of the part (as in will the bayonet part company with the tube and my lens drop 1.5m to the floor)

Has anybody got any recommendations for a rain cover for my Canon R7.I won't be going out in lashing rain but need need to be cautious .

Been a fair while since I've posted on here, but I'm always lurking around.

Recently bought an R7 moving on my 7d2. I still have a 1dx2 which I don't think I'll ever sell. Famous last words.

Gradually getting to grips with the settings I need / like. All my glass is a few year old L glass, so I have the control adaptor ring on the body.

I shoot a reasonable amount of bird of prey photography as well as kids football, Motorsport etc.

I'm trying to find a way to shoot in manual and control aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation quickly in auto ISO for when birds move between blue sky to greenery background scenarios.
The best I can find that suits is to use the two rings for aperture and shutter speed and the control adaptor ring for exposure compensation. The only problem is with big glass the control adaptor is in the wrong place ergonomically. Maybe I will swap aperture and Ex Comp if that's possible.

The question is have any of you figured out better ways of achieving what I'm looking for please?

Ta muchly

Been a fair while since I've posted on here, but I'm always lurking around.

Recently bought an R7 moving on my 7d2. I still have a 1dx2 which I don't think I'll ever sell. Famous last words.

Gradually getting to grips with the settings I need / like. All my glass is a few year old L glass, so I have the control adaptor ring on the body.

I shoot a reasonable amount of bird of prey photography as well as kids football, Motorsport etc.

I'm trying to find a way to shoot in manual and control aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation quickly in auto ISO for when birds move between blue sky to greenery background scenarios.
The best I can find that suits is to use the two rings for aperture and shutter speed and the control adaptor ring for exposure compensation. The only problem is with big glass the control adaptor is in the wrong place ergonomically. Maybe I will swap aperture and Ex Comp if that's possible.

The question is have any of you figured out better ways of achieving what I'm looking for please?

Ta muchly

Could you use Fv mode on the R7?

Last edited:
Bit of a lazy one this…. I could research it all!

I’m thinking of getting a second mirrorless body to complement my R5 as a remote camera. I’ve been using my 7D (mk1 for this) for about 4 months and it’s gone so well I want something with better image quality and better auto focus. I have to set the 7D up to do rather simple tasks/shots and point the centre clustered focus points where the car will be so often not optimal framing.

It’s going to be used to shoot rallying, often placed closer to the road than I could humanly possibly get and in the firing line of dirt, mud, stones and rally cars! I.e I’m not looking to put an R3 down rhere at that risk…! So the cost/benefit must work!

Although I don’t use the ‘auto’ subject select option - what I’ve seen of it and when I have used it, it’s really quite good at picking out the subject hence thinking of going with a newer body for this purpose despite the risk.

So which canon bodies have the same autofocus system/vehicle tracking as the R5? If it’s possible with one of the more entry level cameras I could go down that route and negate the weather sealing with a protective cover?
I would use a low cost dslr with fixed focus for this application. For me the cost benefit of AF from an R or so wouldn’t be worth the risk.

I would use a low cost dslr with fixed focus for this application. For me the cost benefit of AF from an R or so wouldn’t be worth the risk.

Thanks - I’ve been mulling this over for a few weeks. The original 7D seems to work quite well for this application as I can use it without worrying about the risk too much….. when I say too much….
F03A06F7-57E2-4734-BAEA-483D2A2CA09A.jpeg
A few people have said to use manual but I am not sure I trust

A.) myself to see to focus up correctly where the car will turn up without knowing bedorehand and not being able to return to check the camera after the stage does live
B.) the car to turn up where it needs to be to get a focused shot on the correct part of the car
C.) the burst to be fast enough to catch that exact moment when it does

The auto focus has worked well as it allows me to shoot the car in several positions - at apex or on exit, and get a good shot, but it’s still not perfect which is where I see some of these new models with vehicle tracking having a big advantage…

I could still use the 7D for shots like the above, where there is a real risk, but have the newer camera set further back for a less risky wide angle shot

Last edited:
Has anyone found the best autofocus settings to track with frequent water splashes?

I was photographing wakeboards on Sunday and tried several combinations but nothing worked reliably so my hit rate was back to dslr days.

Nikon had an advertising stand at the same event offering people the chance to try their cameras. I doubt they worked any better as my friend sitting next to me had Z9 and the same problem. An odd choice of event to showcase mirrorless tech… or maybe we both missed something obvious!

Bought one of these last week for £39.90 from Amazon, smallrig LP-E6NH 2400mah battery.

What a good idea putting a usb-c charging port on it.
0K6A3216-2.jpg
0K6A3220.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice Prime Day deals on RF lenses. 35mm f/1.8 (which is an amazing lens) for £350, with smaller discounts on the 50 & 16.

Ive had a R6 for over 2 years, bought the mk2 2 weeks ago, went to Wales for the weekend as i was running the Snowdon Half Marathon.

0K6A3133 is a good example of the topic I mentioned earlier. It's a lovely shot, however the focus is on the water splash and sometimes I'd prefer the focus to be on the face.

Here is an example of the situation I mean - what's the best AF setting to track the face surrounded by water?

full

Here is an example of the situation I mean - what's the best AF setting to track the face surrounded by water?

full

Haven’t actually tried anything along the lines of what you’re referring to Tim.
But would the AF case (can’t recall which one now) that ignores obstacles entering the scene work with this?

Haven’t actually tried anything along the lines of what you’re referring to Tim.
But would the AF case (can’t recall which one now) that ignores obstacles entering the scene work with this?
There was a long training session before the event so I had time to try lots of combinations of AF case (including the one the ignores obstacles), AF method and AF subject tracking options. In the end case one, the generic one, with face tracking people subject was as good as it got. AF range with face tracking seemed to be better but was in fact focusing on the water drops most of the time. At last, the current AF tech has met its match!

To be honest that would be a pretty tough ask for any camera, still a great shot though :)

To be honest that would be a pretty tough ask for any camera, still a great shot though :)
Something for the developers to work on, I’ll write to Canon . I was also being greedy shooting wide open with primes. The shots where I did achieve focus were great.

Some nice Prime Day deals on RF lenses. 35mm f/1.8 (which is an amazing lens) for £350, with smaller discounts on the 50 & 16.
Damnit - I set myself a max budget for buying that. Together with Prime Day & the 3% cashback I have it's well within even accounting for buying the pouch on top

I had a look and Amazon have the RF 14-35 f4 at £1216 plus my account shows an Amazon voucher of £200 after 30 days. Don't know if the voucher is account specific plus be aware Amazon is excluded from the Canon cashback offer

Is the R7 considered to be a noisy camera? Early days for my R7 but some of the images I took at the weekend at iso 1600 were noisy. I was photographing birds at a RSPB reserve. They were not that close particularly the in fight ones and due to the background, the histogram only only showed a few spikes, most of the range showed nothing. From past experience I have found that a good spread across the histogram reduces noise considerable.

I was initially a bit disappointed with the noise performance of my R7 but the more I've used it the less of an issue it seems.

Don't forget its a 32MP crop sensor which is a LOT of pixels.

D

Last edited:
There was a long training session before the event so I had time to try lots of combinations of AF case (including the one the ignores obstacles), AF method and AF subject tracking options. In the end case one, the generic one, with face tracking people subject was as good as it got. AF range with face tracking seemed to be better but was in fact focusing on the water drops most of the time. At last, the current AF tech has met its match!
I agree with Pete that it does look like quite a test for the autofocus, especially with a wide aperture.

I just checked some of my kite and windsurfers from the R5 - mostly the splashes are not in front of their face - and likely deleted if they are, but I found this one. I note the subject switching is disabled. I used Case 2 with it detecting people. It's hard to show how sharp as it appears much worse on here, but I think it is acceptable. This is one blown up to 100%, then screenshot and then downsized with Affinity! Otherwise not processed at all. It is however f/10 - the 100-500 with extender, so hardly as challenging.

I would normally have deleted this shot, don't know why I still have it. Also will attach a better one from the same day :)

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 12.35.32.png Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 12.46.06.jpg 20230114-BCR_0380hq.jpg

I agree with Pete that it does look like quite a test for the autofocus, especially with a wide aperture.

I just checked some of my kite and windsurfers from the R5 - mostly the splashes are not in front of their face - and likely deleted if they are, but I found this one. I note the subject switching is disabled. I used Case 2 with it detecting people. It's hard to show how sharp as it appears much worse on here, but I think it is acceptable. This is one blown up to 100%, then screenshot and then downsized with Affinity! Otherwise not processed at all. It is however f/10 - the 100-500 with extender, so hardly as challenging.

I would normally have deleted this shot, don't know why I still have it. Also will attach a better one from the same day :)

View attachment 395296 View attachment 395301 View attachment 395303
Thank you! It’s a very tricky situation that’s for sure. I’m reassured that I didn’t miss anything obvious. Looking at other images coming from the same event it looks like everyone had the same challenge. I may post on the sports thread too to see if anyone there has other ideas. Thanks again.

Ive had that lens in and out of my basket since Jan. I keep putting it off as i really couldn’t afford it, but also wanted to get it with the 5 month interest free option. Couldn’t believe when i saw it for £349 and the monthly option.
Now a very happy owner.

I need a big favour please. Could I see some RAW files taken with R5 + EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II at 2.8 to 5.6ish range, all landscape style, sharp and in good focus. I want to see if there is improvement over 5Ds and if it specifically handles this lens better. R6 works wonderfully but that's only 20MP. Many thanks.

I can give it a go in the next week or two.
Thanks. I don't need anything special just enough distant detail to tell it at least matches EF f/4 L IS across the frame. I know its not as good at 70mm but the rest hopefully is.

Has anybody got any recommendations for a rain cover for my Canon R7.I won't be going out in lashing rain but need need to be cautious .
Only just seen your post. Have you since bought a cover; or are you still on the lookout?

I use the lenscoat rain cover on my primes when I’m out and about in frequent downpours.
If you’re after something a bit lighter / simple for just light showers and such; the Thinktank emergency rain covers are (relatively) cheap.

Just wondering, anybody used the R6mkii for wildlife? I'm thinking about it, the camera appeals to me, except the MP. Just for disclosure, I'm not caught up in any megapixel races but my concern is that I already have 2 cameras that are 30mp (5Div) and 33mp (R7) and I'm just trying to figure out if it's that much of a step back (for want of a better term) in a wildlife scenario?

There's lots of other caveats and considerations with wildlife of course, so this is a very generally speaking based question.

My 5Div isn't going anywhere soon but the R6mkii seems to offer other things, particularly the AF.

Just wondering, anybody used the R6mkii for wildlife? I'm thinking about it, the camera appeals to me, except the MP. Just for disclosure, I'm not caught up in any megapixel races but my concern is that I already have 2 cameras that are 30mp (5Div) and 33mp (R7) and I'm just trying to figure out if it's that much of a step back (for want of a better term) in a wildlife scenario?

There's lots of other caveats and considerations with wildlife of course, so this is a very generally speaking based question.

My 5Div isn't going anywhere soon but the R6mkii seems to offer other things, particularly the AF.

to be honest for wildlife I find that sometimes it just not always possible to fill the frame, if it’s it’s a one off or rare sighting you may want to crop a bit
I went for the R5 not the R6 and glad I did , I know that you’re talking about the R6 mk 2 but still think the R5 is a good choice just for that odd occasion when you need to crop :)

I’m a massive fan of the R6 (and 6d before it) and never felt the need for more mpix.

But I don’t shoot wildlife, and if I did, I think I’d want the ability to crop.

I tried the R6 mark I, borrowed from a relation and had a R7 on a one weeks trial. I thought the R6 was better in terms of image quality and noise performance but for bird photography I preferred the R7 for AF ability. I bought the R7.

I would buy the R6 for landscape etc but my DSLRs are more than good enough

If I bought another R series it would be the R5 but is too expensive to justify.

Back