Canon FF mirrorless...

And with a larger mount. We will see larger lenses that are f1 etc. Look at the size of the 24-70 F2... Gigantic lol.

.... Gigantic, heavy and expensive, yes, but have you read about what F/2 can deliver on this RF lens? Very much worth it to a photographer who does the sort of work to take advantage of it.

Robin if the R follows the general trend with mirrorless , you should have a review image section in menu ,set that to zero that will stop the last image being displayed , that’s how it works on MFT anyway

.... Cheers Jeff. I have found the setting and changed it to Off (zero time). I'll try shooting tracking seagulls tomorrow.

Meanwhile, at midnight I'm going to load a 100% full battery and see what the remaining percentage is in the morning after the camera has been switched off but left with a battery in its chamber.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I moved to MFT earlier this year was the sheer weight of the lenses ,it’s gotten worse as I have got older and my gut feeling was it was taking the fun out of things for me . Since changing I now know that I was correct I am really enjoying photography again , and while I can see that this FF mirrorless is a huge step forward while it’s still tethered to heavy expensive lenses I can’t really see me changing back

.... Fair enough but if you still have a collection of Canon EF lenses which aren't the big telephoto guns, then the EOS R mirrorless body is an option. But so is the M50 an option I think you have recently bought if you stick an EF adapter on it.

.... Fair enough but if you still have a collection of Canon EF lenses which aren't the big telephoto guns, then the EOS R mirrorless body is an option. But so is the M50 an option I think you have recently bought if you stick an EF adapter on it.

No robin ALL my canon gear is now gone I love my MFT gear , at the end of the day we use what we are comfortable with and get the results from . If I hadn’t published the changes I made would you or anyone else have known . Don’t knock it till you try it goes the saying . and according to your question a few pages back you had to enquire what MFT was so you obviously haven’t .

.... Gigantic, heavy and expensive, yes, but have you read about what F/2 can deliver on this RF lens? Very much worth it to a photographer who does the sort of work to take advantage of it.
What benefit is that? I'd rather use a set of primes tbh then a massive f2 zoom.

No robin ALL my canon gear is now gone I love my MFT gear , at the end of the day we use what we are comfortable with and get the results from . If I hadn’t published the changes I made would you or anyone else have known . Don’t knock it till you try it goes the saying . and according to your question a few pages back you had to enquire what MFT was so you obviously haven’t .
I'd stick with that if your happy with it or just get a smaller ff mirrorless with some manual prime lenses to keep the weight down if you want ffm

Or what about apc such as the fuji or canon mirrorless m5?

What benefit is that? I'd rather use a set of primes tbh then a massive f2 zoom.

I wouldn't, what's not to like from using a single lens rather than 3 or 4 primes? If f2 is fast enough for you that is...

I'd probably still have a compact prime for when I wanted to travel light, but otherwise if this lens delivers on quality I'm seriously tempted.

No robin ALL my canon gear is now gone I love my MFT gear , at the end of the day we use what we are comfortable with and get the results from .

.... Exactly that! And the same applies to any tool or machine. They have character you can bond with, dontcha know! :D

If I hadn’t published the changes I made would you or anyone else have known . Don’t knock it till you try it goes the saying . and according to your question a few pages back you had to enquire what MFT was so you obviously haven’t .

.... Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking MFT and would not be justified in doing so because I have never even handled MFT gear, or have I? What did you say MFT gear is? :D :LOL:

Personally, until I get as old as you (I'm a young 71 dyslexic and so act like I'm 17) and then can't lug around my Canon 500mm etc, I am happy and most comfortable staying with the Canon EOS system. I don't feel as comfortable with smaller size cameras.

.... Exactly that! And the same applies to any tool or machine. They have character you can bond with, dontcha know! :D

.... Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking MFT and would not be justified in doing so because I have never even handled MFT gear, or have I? What did you say MFT gear is? :D :LOL:

Personally, until I get as old as you (I'm a young 71 dyslexic and so act like I'm 17) and then can't lug around my Canon 500mm etc, I am happy and most comfortable staying with the Canon EOS system. I don't feel as comfortable with smaller size cameras.
I’m only a year or so in front of you robin , but a bad back made the heavy gear a chore , MFT is Panasonic and Olympus btw . I can still lug the heavy gear around if needed but as I said before the fun element had gone out of it , I don’t look to sell any images , nor get them printed to poster size , virtually everything I do is posted online .and a Leica 100-400 with a 2x crop factor body weighing in at less than 1.5 kg body and lens is super for me

Anyway keep up the good work on this R stuff as it’s still interesting

.... Cheers Jeff. I have found the setting and changed it to Off (zero time). I'll try shooting tracking seagulls tomorrow.

Meanwhile, at midnight I'm going to load a 100% full battery and see what the remaining percentage is in the morning after the camera has been switched off but left with a battery in its chamber.

.... So, 8 hours later after loading a full (reading 99%) battery and leaving the camera switched off, the battery info reads 98%. So, not the mirrorless battery juice drain that I expected due to my experiences with the M5.

This of course is of rather limited interest to anyone but might have been if the loss was say 20% per day and we would then probably choose to remove the battery when leaving the camera at home.

While talking about subjects of limited interest, this is a mobile phone snap under electric light of what I'm hoping will be my first keeper image from the EOS R. It was one of a SERVO burst of 13 covering the Goldfinch turning his head and also body movement and shot in poor light on my Canon EF 500mm F/4L II + 2x III on gimbal head. It's a pity that EXIF data doesn't give the fps rate (as far as I know). The colours look slightly richer than this snap shows and especially the yellow plumage but it looks sharp when enlarged on the LCD.

The real point is that even when set to Dual Pixel RAW and SERVO which lowers the fps burst rate, the EOS R can still deliver shot choices from a burst. Birds in flight might be more challenging but I can't explore that until the light improves (and the seagulls bother to appear around my house).

IMG_1123.jpg

The light is grim today and even worse than yesterday! No sign of any seagulls yet anyway so my further tests will have to wait.

I wasn't going to load this into DPP, which I have never used before, until I had more shots but I might do so later today if I can't capture any more images. If a keeper, it will then go on Flickr and I'll start an 'EOS R' album there.

Last edited:
I’m only a year or so in front of you robin , but a bad back made the heavy gear a chore , MFT is Panasonic and Olympus btw . I can still lug the heavy gear around if needed but as I said before the fun element had gone out of it , I don’t look to sell any images , nor get them printed to poster size , virtually everything I do is posted online .and a Leica 100-400 with a 2x crop factor body weighing in at less than 1.5 kg body and lens is super for me

Anyway keep up the good work on this R stuff as it’s still interesting

.... If I ever have to downsize the weight etc of my camera gear, I may follow your lead (yet again!) as that Leica glass sounds the dog's danglies.

A few months ago after I just bought my 1DX-2, I spent a 1-1 day with professional Tesni Ward who used to shoot Canon D-SLR and now primarily shoots Olympus and is an Oly Ambassador. She still has her Canon gear and was using it on our day together. She is still in her 20s and very fit as she used to be a Team GB javelin thrower until injury plagued her and she turned to wildlife photography. Her work is superb and she is extremely dedicated (and somewhat over competitive!).

Like you, I don't print or sell my work < I'm retired and it's too much hassle and there's hardly enough time to catch up with all the post-processing when not actually shooting photos. I occasionally give my work away and it's quite amazing what favours come back to me in return - Karma?

I'm booked to photograph Bears in Finland next year and am going with friend Guy Edwardes (wildlife pro) to northern Greece in 2020 < I hope I will still be fit enough and not caught up with you, Jeff!

Take Care buddy and one day perhaps we'll meet on the cliff tops of West Bay!

Robin

Horses for courses, plenty of people bought the Sigma fast zooms, and historically Leica have supplied similar.

I’d rather have the primes too, but this zoom is lighter than a 28,35,50 and 85 f2ish lens collection, and obviously no changing lenses either.

Can you read the ‘attitude’ in your post? Just because it’s not what you (or I) want, doesn’t mean no one should. :)

I find that very interesting that an Oly ambassador - whose workshops I have read about with Olympus; there's a red deer one today I saw in my FB feed - still keeps her Canon kit and uses it for her private tutoring work. How long ago was this? I have both systems but imagined that she had completely bailed like the other Ambassadors. I am guessing your Guy E trip is to find those pelicans? They are mad and cool at the same time... Where are you in the country, Robin, it might be fun to meet up at Slimbridge when the bewick's come back?

Last edited:
I find that very interesting that an Oly ambassador - whose workshops I have read about with Olympus; there's a red deer one today I saw in my FB feed - still keeps her Canon kit and uses it for her private tutoring work. How long ago was this? I have both systems but imagined that she had completely bailed like the other Ambassadors. I am guessing your Guy E trip is to find those pelicans? They are mad and cool at the same time... Where are you in the country, Robin, it might be fun to meet up at Slimbridge when the bewick's come back?

.... Hi Chipper!

My day with Tesni was in April this year and she took me to Bempton Cliffs which in retrospect I could have easily done without her help and I revisited on my own in June. She didn't really deliver what her website said she would. I put it down to experience but doubt if I'll go on another of workshops, whereas Guy E is extremely good value and I knew him before going on any of his workshops. I think Tesni might have brought her Canon gear along because she had asked and knew that I was shooting Canon. Grrrr.... The more I think about it, the more I think that for me it was a waste of money.

Yes, Pelicans with Guy and am very much looking forward to it. Tesni has taken some awesome photos of the Pelicans there too.

I'm based on coastal West Dorset but my daughter Sky has a home in Bristol and I stay overnight with her when up that way. I'll PM you soon today about a possible meet up (but I'm hungry for breakfast!!).

https://skysiouki.com

Proud daddy is always promoting his daughter! :)

Last edited:
I love Bempton - although not the smell! Yes, I paid for a Light and Land 'tour' of London expecting, from the kit list, to be given some insight and advice re urban long exposure. It was more a photo walk; enjoyable but compared with the RPS prices for similar, quite expensive. The Bewick's are usually there by December. Sadly numbers are declining and have been over time. Will chime in with a PM. Have fun with your new toy... although the weather is rubbish here. again.

I’d rather have the primes too, but this zoom is lighter than a 28,35,50 and 85 f2ish lens collection, and obviously no changing lenses either.

.... That's exactly why I went for the RF 24-105mm F/4L IS zoom and am replacing my EF 24-70mm F/4L IS with it - It extends my focal length choices (and £200 is saved when bought with the EOS R as a kit).

Zoom lenses might never quite match the image quality of a prime (although it depends at which end of the focal range) but they are very much better than they used to be as technology marches onwards and upwards and Canon's RF lenses are very promising indeed < The reports so far suggest excellence.

Depending on the subjects you are shooting, time and movement spotted while changing lenses can sometimes be guaranteed to lose you the shot you wanted. That why I have and use two bodies and my EOS R has been bought primarily to switch to the close-ups and macro shots on my EF 100mm macro. And also if I want more habitat showing on a minibeast I can use my RF 24-105mm zoom but that would mean changing lenses. This RF lens focusses as close as 1.5ft and so that's pretty interesting to me. My EF 100-400mm II focusses as close as just over 3.5ft @ 100mm.

One really nice feature when you have an RF lens mounted on an EOS R is the distance your lens is achieving focus on displayed (optionally) in the viewfinder. That's extremely useful for pre-focussing onto a spot too, say in anticipation of capturing a bird or dragonfly flying over water.

I try to keep my lenses carried in the field if out all day to a maximum of 2 bodies and 3 lenses but all depending on target species and location. Zooms are invaluable.

As both you and I often say, Phil : It's Horses-for-Courses and each photographer has their own practical needs and preferences which they feel most comfortable with.

Last edited:
.... That's exactly why I went for the RF 24-105mm F/4L IS zoom and am replacing my EF 24-70mm F/4L IS with it - It extends my focal length choices (and £200 is saved when bought with the EOS R as a kit).

Zoom lenses might never quite match the image quality of a prime (although it depends at which end of the focal range) but they are very much better than they used to be as technology marches onwards and upwards and Canon's RF lenses are very promising indeed < The reports so far suggest excellence.

Depending on the subjects you are shooting, time and movement spotted while changing lenses can sometimes be guaranteed to lose you the shot you wanted. That why I have and use two bodies and my EOS R has been bought primarily to switch to the close-ups and macro shots on my EF 100mm macro. And also if I want more habitat showing on a minibeast I can use my RF 24-105mm zoom but that would mean changing lenses. This RF lens focusses as close as 1.5ft @ 24mm and just under 4ft @ 105mm and so that's pretty interesting to me. My EF 100-400mm II focusses as close as just over 3.5ft @ 100mm and so very similar lens performance.

I try to keep my lenses carried in the field if out all day to a maximum of 2 bodies and 3 lenses but all depending on target species and location. Zooms are invaluable.

As both you and I often say, Phil : It's Horses-for-Courses and each photographer has their own practical needs and preferences which they feel most comfortable with.
Yea i guess so but I was replying to the bloke saying ff mirrorless is too big. I stated that the F2 zooms are gigantic which it is and very pricey.

Horses for courses for sure but F2 is half a stop of light more then the F2.8 zoom.

Also I reckon a 24 35 85 F2 primes would weigh less!

Good to have choices but a F2 zoom won't entice users who want to reduce weight from there current dslr offerings

Yea i guess so but I was replying to the bloke saying ff mirrorless is too big. I stated that the F2 zooms are gigantic which it is and very pricey.

.... The "bloke" you are referring to is Jeff and he is a pretty big bloke whom you would be wise not to anger if standing in front of him! I think he is more concerned about weight rather than size but he can answer for himself if he wants to.

As to whether they are too big or pricey depends entirely on the photographer and his needs and ability to pay the price. You don't seem to understand that there are other photographers shooting in places and ways which you don't.

Horses for courses for sure but F2 is half a stop of light more then the F2.8 zoom.

.... Sorry but you are mistaken about this.

Also I reckon a 24 35 85 F2 primes would weigh less!

.... Are you claiming that the weight of a 24mm + 35mm + 85mm F/2 prime totals less than the Canon RF F/2 zoom? Primes manufactured by who?

Good to have choices but a F2 zoom won't entice users who want to reduce weight from there current dslr offerings

.... Again, it depends on the individual photographer and the subjects he shoots and where. Not every D-SLR photographer either needs or wants to reduce weight if their existing lenses perform very well for what they want to achieve.

Someone buying the RF F/2 zoom will buy it for the image results it can offer and not necessarily be bothered by the weight. I think I have seen some of your studio portrait shots and quite liked some so you should know better than this about the qualities of F/2 and benefits of sometimes using zooms.

Last edited:
<snip>

...I can use my RF 24-105mm zoom but that would mean changing lenses. This RF lens focusses as close as 1.5ft @ 24mm and just under 4ft @ 105mm...

<snip>

You sure about this Rob? Canon quotes 0.45m from the sensor, presumably at all focal lengths, same as my EF 24-105 Mk1. That's about 18in, or around one foot from the front of the lens :)

You sure about this Rob? Canon quotes 0.45m from the sensor, presumably at all focal lengths, same as my EF 24-105 Mk1. That's about 18in, or around one foot from the front of the lens :)

.... Ah, I think I may be wrong about the "just under 4ft @ 105mm" then. Not being used to it, doing it too quickly and it also being my first ever time [said the bishop to the actress], I had looked through my EVF and zoomed to 105mm and without thinking I automatically focussed on the furthest point across my desk which happened to then read at just under 4ft.

My reading of "about 1.5ft" was actually 1.48ft which matches what Canon state and that's even better news as far as I am concerned because it extends the potential of this lens. I haven't shot anything on it yet - The weather is very grim indeed still.

Thanks for putting me right on this and avoiding me misinforming others - I'll edit my earlier post accordingly.

Cheers

The one thing that bothers me slightly in all this is centre of gravity , as you probably know I used to shoot with a sigma 150-600 sport ,and used various canon bodies with it . Now I tend to like to go walkabouts with my gear and hand hold . This becomes somewhat of a problem when using lightweight bodies . As the front lens element tends to push down , one of the reasons I preferred 1D bodies as the c of g was about right .
So would you attempt to use the R with a long lens or would something like the old 400 f 5.6 come back into fashion

The one thing that bothers me slightly in all this is centre of gravity , as you probably know I used to shoot with a sigma 150-600 sport ,and used various canon bodies with it . Now I tend to like to go walkabouts with my gear and hand hold . This becomes somewhat of a problem when using lightweight bodies . As the front lens element tends to push down , one of the reasons I preferred 1D bodies as the c of g was about right .
So would you attempt to use the R with a long lens or would something like the old 400 f 5.6 come back into fashion

I'll let you know after the weekend how the Canon 400mm f5.6L does on the R Jeff. I'm off on a bird of prey photography workshop on Sunday and have hired one. I used to own one before many moons ago, and always found it an absolutely superb bit of kit.

Simon.

.... I have literally just walked in the door after being out with my 100-400mm L II on my R, trying it with the 1.4x III and even 2x III Extenders mounted too. Balance was ok but obviously better without the Extenders when full out at 400mm. AF works well at F/11 and in fact ONE SHOT AF speed lock on target doesn't seem to slow whichever is mounted.... So far. But I need to test further in better light.

I used to have the 400mm F/5.6L and I think it was you Jeff who advised me to buy it! You were right - It's a very practical walkabout lens but I never liked the 1.4x on it. Simon @srhmoto will report in due course but I reckon he'll say it balanced well even with the EF-RF adapter mounted.

I sold my 400mm F/5.6L to get the 100-400mm and mostly because its MFD is about 12ft which doesn't suit me. It's famous for its sharpness and I think Canon still manufacture it.

Canon quotes 0.45m from the sensor, presumably at all focal lengths, same as my EF 24-105 Mk1. That's about 18in, or around one foot from the front of the lens :)

.... Re the RF 24-105mm F/4L IS Minimum Focal Distance (MFD), I hadn't realised that you can shoot as close as about 18in when zoomed @105mm. This means that, although not a macro lens, it is a very versatile lens indeed - As users of the EF version will already know.

The EOS R feature whereby the Focal Distance of a mounted RF lens may be optionally displayed in the viewfinder is much more valuable than one would initially think. Having it displayed when in MF (Manual Focus) avoids time wasted when hunting for focus - Personally I often find myself twisting the MF lens ring the wrong way and this can be frustrating when doing macro work and supertelephoto work. Of course EF lenses have this FD info on the lens barrel but that means looking outside the viewfinder. Canon have really thought about and exploited the EVF display potential. I'm going to miss some of these R features whenever I switch back to my 1DX-2.

The Focus Distance display options can be found in Yellow MENU Tab 4 and are :
- In MF mode
- When focusing
- Always
- Disable
- Unit ft / m

Btw, typical CR3 RAW files on the EOS R are about 36Mb each.

I am impatient for CaptureOne to release CR3 support so I can edit my shots - Unlike so many photographers here I don't use Lightroom.

Last edited:
I saw this video yesterday looking at the lesser talked about features of the EOS R, and found the manual focus assistance looks very clever. You can see it at about 4 mins. Maybe more useful than seeing the distance. ;) :whistle:

Skip to 4 minutes in of the 9 minute video...

I saw this video yesterday looking at the lesser talked about features of the EOS R, and found the manual focus assistance looks very clever. You can see it at about 4 mins. Maybe more useful than seeing the distance. ;) :whistle:

.... You can set the viewfinder to display all 3 at the same time :

- MF peaking settings (the magic coloured in-focus dust)
- Focus guide (the clever little triangles)
- Focus distance display (a lens scale in ft or m)

They each serve a slightly different purpose according to the target you are shooting but together you can have it all covered.

I have set all 3 to display.

Had the chance to have a little play with an EOS R today. Thought the size was good, sits nicely in the hand with a good grip. AF seemed snappy. This version isn’t for me though, too many compromises in frame rate etc.hopefullt the next one will be competing with the 5D4 on overall spec.

Had the chance to have a little play with an EOS R today. Thought the size was good, sits nicely in the hand with a good grip. AF seemed snappy. This version isn’t for me though, too many compromises in frame rate etc.hopefully the next one will be competing with the 5D4 on overall spec.
I am wondering if the next one will be, as was suggested obliquely to me by a manager at an LCE, produced in time for the next Olympics so April 2020. Will the 1DX3 be mirrorless?? Will there even be a 5DV? I love my FF DSLR so find this all a bit.... unsettling..

Last edited:
I am wondering if the next one will be, as was suggested obliquely to me by a manager at an LCE, produced in time for the next Olympics so April 2020. Will the 1DX3 be mirrorless?? Will there even be a 5DV? I love my FF DSLR so find this all a bit.... unsettling..

.... In time for the next Olympics makes a great deal of marketing sense and what more prestigious arena for a high performing camera could there be?

Had the chance to have a little play with an EOS R today. Thought the size was good, sits nicely in the hand with a good grip. AF seemed snappy. This version isn’t for me though, too many compromises in frame rate etc. Hopefully the next one will be competing with the 5D4 on overall spec.

We can only speculate but I think that the next R version which Canon Rumors say will be announced in January, will be a version in-between this first R version and the mirrorless flagship.

I have been out this afternoon with both my mirrorless R and my 1DX-2 and I love the clarity of an optical viewfinder and ultra solid feel of the D-SLR but I am also loving the mirrorless R and prefer it to the 5D-4 I used to have.

I think that what's a bit unsettling is the financial cost of it all as I can see myself swopping the 1DX-2 for a mirrorless equivalent one day. At the moment I've got the best of both worlds.

My 2p's worth, for what it is worth. (btw less than 2p like everyone else ;)). I don't think Canon (or Nikon) have the technology to approach the 1DXII (or D5)performance in mirrorless form atm, nevermind the Sony a9, which is what they would really be up against when it comes to a fast/sport 'Pro' mirrorless. And by then I think Sony will have an a9II, which would be an even harder product to equal/better. Nikon are in the same position, so I think there will be a 1DXIII and a Nikon D6.

What they could do to improve on the 1DXII or D5 to make anyone upgrade is another thing. :thinking:

That said, Canon and Nikon may have high(er) fps mirrorless cameras before the Olympics, but I can't see many buying to replace what DSLR's they may already have (1DXII, D5, whatever) or the newer DSLR's Canon and Nikon may have brought out pre Olympics, because they will probably just work and can be relied upon where a cutting edge mirrorless, with possibly adapted telephoto lenses, may not be. They could sell to those users who want a fast Canon or Nikon mirrorless in addition, for the features they have over a DSLR, specifically silent shooting, but not instead of in such high pressure environments. No doubt there would be incentives to be seen using such mirrorless cameras though. ;)

My 2p's worth, for what it is worth. (btw less than 2p like everyone else ;)). I don't think Canon (or Nikon) have the technology to approach the 1DXII (or D5)performance in mirrorless form atm, nevermind the Sony a9, which is what they would really be up against when it comes to a fast/sport 'Pro' mirrorless. And by then I think Sony will have an a9II, which would be an even harder product to equal/better. Nikon are in the same position, so I think there will be a 1DXIII and a Nikon D6.

What they could do to improve on the 1DXII or D5 to make anyone upgrade is another thing. :thinking:

That said, Canon and Nikon may have high(er) fps mirrorless cameras before the Olympics, but I can't see many buying to replace what DSLR's they may already have (1DXII, D5, whatever) or the newer DSLR's Canon and Nikon may have brought out pre Olympics, because they will probably just work and can be relied upon where a cutting edge mirrorless, with possibly adapted telephoto lenses, may not be. They could sell to those users who want a fast Canon or Nikon mirrorless in addition, for the features they have over a DSLR, specifically silent shooting, but not instead of in such high pressure environments. No doubt there would be incentives to be seen using such mirrorless cameras though. ;)
I think they do have the tech to do it. they just dont want to anger the DSLR crowd!

.... In time for the next Olympics makes a great deal of marketing sense and what more prestigious arena for a high performing camera could there be?

We can only speculate but I think that the next R version which Canon Rumors say will be announced in January, will be a version in-between this first R version and the mirrorless flagship.

I have been out this afternoon with both my mirrorless R and my 1DX-2 and I love the clarity of an optical viewfinder and ultra solid feel of the D-SLR but I am also loving the mirrorless R and prefer it to the 5D-4 I used to have.

I think that what's a bit unsettling is the financial cost of it all as I can see myself swopping the 1DX-2 for a mirrorless equivalent one day. At the moment I've got the best of both worlds.
The olympics is in 2 years . They need the lenses as well as the glass released by then!

.... I think your "2p's worth" is spot on and worth much more than 2p!

The only part I'm not convinced about is the Sony A9 as a pro camera. Yes, a few professionals use them and its spec and features are leading, but which camera system would you want to take with you to the Antarctic one week and the South American rainforest jungle the next week? Or a Syrian war zone one week and a fashion show in Paris the next? < My money is on either a flagship Canon or Nikon. I'm really not trying to dis the Sony, in truth I have major respect for them, but I'm just suggesting that Sony are not going to mop up the professional market, or even the serious amateur unless they start producing a much tougher and slightly bigger more ergonomic body and a much more extensive range of Sony native lenses. I think it's easier and faster for Canon/Nikon to catch up Sony with the mirrorless technology than it is for Sony to catch up with their hardware.

Besides, although we here are in the dark about exactly what any of these camera manufacturers are doing behind closed doors, I think it's safe to say that product development never stops and is probably more advanced than we realise.

Last edited:
.... I think your "2p's worth" is spot on and worth much more than 2p!

The only part I'm not convinced about is the Sony A9 as a pro camera. Yes, a few professionals use them and its spec and features are leading, but which camera system would you want to take with you to the Antarctic one week and the South American rainforest jungle the next week? Or a Syrian war zone one week and a fashion show in Paris the next? < My money is on either a flagship Canon or Nikon. I'm really not trying to dis the Sony, in truth I have major respect for them, but I'm just suggesting that Sony are not going to mop up the professional market, or even the serious amateur unless they start producing a much tougher and slightly bigger body and a much more extensive range of Sony native lenses. I think it's easier and faster for Canon/Nikon to catch up Sony with the mirrorless technology than it is for Sony to catch up with their hardware.

Besides, although we here are in the dark about exactly what any of these camera manufacturers are doing behind closed doors, I think it's safe to say that product development never stops and is probably more advanced than we realise.

That’s probably a fair point, certainly for professional sports/wildlife shooters - if the mirrorless body tech can match Sony then a lot of Pro’s will be more than happy to adapt their existing high end Nikon/Canon glass if its giving them as good AF performance on mirrorless (which seems a mixed bag currently, certainly on Nikon based on some of the YouTube Videos).

Agree though Nikon/Canon will still want to be careful not to do too much to cannibalise DSLR sales although in some respects Nikon have already gone further than I’d expected for a first step with the Z7 - aside from the AF and dual slots, its basically a compact D850.

Canon have a history of using events like the Olympics and World Cup to either launch new gear or test soon to be launched gear.

That said; their marketing is risk averse and they often use these events showing all the pro users with high end gear to then pan to the crowd where they show Joe public using more modest kit.

I have no idea about Nikon strategy though.

Back