Canon Pro 1/10/100 - Owners Thread

I've had my Canon Pixma Pro 1 for several months now, fully calibrated profiles thanks to Fotospeed and their excellent service in giving out free bespoke paper profiles for all their papers. Couldn't recommend them enough!

Does anyone know the most ethical way to discard of your cartridges? Thanks :)

how did you turn off colour management to get print for colour profile ????

how did you turn off colour management to get print for colour profile ????
I always use LR6 with the paper manufacturer's profile for my printer and turn off printer management. The dialog for turning off printer management for my Canon Pro 100S is below
upload_2016-7-15_20-57-15.png

I always use LR6 with the paper manufacturer's profile for my printer and turn off printer management. The dialog for turning off printer management for my Canon Pro 100S is below
View attachment 69239

Do u use a mac or a pc ?

I use a pc and when I get to them settings it ghosted, so can select any options

Do u use a mac or a pc ?

I use a pc and when I get to them settings it ghosted, so can select any options

The only way I can get it to ghost is to check Black and white Photo Print (either quick setup or Main) - on a PC here.

connersz I did a quick search using "ciss canon pro 100" and quite a few came up even a Utube video showing it in action.
There were a few refill systems pretending to be ciss but defo a few out there.

connersz I did a quick search using "ciss canon pro 100" and quite a few came up even a Utube video showing it in action.
There were a few refill systems pretending to be ciss but defo a few out there.
You gonna have to help me out with a link. There's a lot of results; I agree but none of them seem to be actual CISS that I can buy right now.

so what resolution do people set their images at with regards to dpi? Ive a pixma pro 100 and its input res can go to 1200dpi apparently which ive just found out. Is it worth going that high, do you use more ink in doing so? normally i stick to around 300 and am happy with it, but with a view in the future to trying to sell some prints i want to squeeze what i can out of the printer.

The only real reason to use such high dpi is when printing text that is hollow.
ie outlined text
Or possibly an architects drawing maybe might need such precision due to the lines being very thin.
So going on that if a photo had a lot of hard edges and fine detail then maybe it would be worth using the higher dpi
Do a test on small 6x4 to save ink and paper at various settings.

Guys finally thinking of moving on from my Pro 9000 mki which has been great but I cannot get a Canon Pro Luster paper (which is what i use 80% of the time) profile for it and the pro photo glossy is not the same. So it is the Pro 100s or Pro 10s. I am aware of the dye /pigment fading difference but do not sell my prints so this is not a deal breaker. But i do fancy trying more B&W and some fine art printing. Pro 1 is too big but the price differential with the Pro 10 makes the 10 seem relatively expensive and i understand it is not cheap re ink use compared to the 100s.

Any thoughts/advice/pointers welcome - most of my photography is natural history/wildlife/landscapes and the dogs. I have done a lot of research but there is little from first-hand users.

Thanks

Have searched the thread and had a bit of a browse through and don't think I'm duplicating here, but apologies if I've missed a relevant post or 2.

I'm in the process of testing Fine Art papers on my 10s. What I've done is put 4 shots of different typical types on an A4 file. There is a high and a low key portrait, a colour landscape (well harbour/boats scene really) and a mono landscape/structure shot.

So far I've printed the file on 6 paper types from a Hahnemuhle sample pack, (very impressive) plus a standard lustre and standard matt paper. I also have a Innova sample pack. (I have used Innova paper before and liked it a lot.) Problem is there are 11 different samples in this pack and I'm not sure I want to invest that much ink in this process!

The Hahnemuhle papers are all textured so the smooth papers in the Innova pack will probably be first choice, but at the same time don't want to be missing something spectacular form the textured Innova papers. So my question is, does anyone have any experience of these Innova papers and have any particular recommendations?

To save me typing all the paper types in the pack here's a link to it. https://www.fineartfoto.co.uk/fine-art-paper/innova-fine-art-paper-sample-pack.html

I have a Canon pro-10, I use Canon PT101 for glossy prints.

Permajet titanium lustre 280 is awesome for black and white prints, it has a silver/metallic colour that catches the light well.

Canson - icc profiles , the lot ,,, every type of paper you will ever need.

I cheat! I do it myself! Luckily i have an X-rite colour munki so do my own profiles, it works, time consuming but i like it!

I borrowed one from the designers at work, when i first bought the printer as i was having snags with colour calibration, it was that good i bought one!

anyone with a canon had any experience of printing larger than A3+? (19 inches or more?) Ive a pixma pro 100 and want to print larger landscape prints. The manual tray goes to 14 inches wide, could i put paper of around 30inches long through it, if i could source the stuff that is?

*edit* actually i see Permajet do a "panoramic" version of their Oyster paper which is 13" wide on a 10meter roll. Would you just feed it into the printer, print it through photoshop as usual and then just trim it off?

Last edited:
The pro 100 has a native panorama setting of 25.5 x 13 inches I use Marutt 13 meter rolls cut to size.

So guys, I need to work out what to do about ink.

Soo I don't print much but damn I am eating these ink cartridges. I just re-filled Magenta, done 3 A5 landscapes and it already shows as being half used! Yellow, Black and Photo Cyan now are wanting re-filling but rather than warn me, it just stopped half way though an a3 print that I have to post out tomorrow...

I'm wondering how good refills are. Octopus are the guys who make the Redsetter. They have the refills and Resetter for 176 euro for 100ml bottles. I'm thinking I might just order that as it will give me better value for money, but I'm wondering how good that ink is... Has anoyne used them?
http://www.octopus-office.de/shop/e...Chip-Resetter-fuer-Canon-CLI-42-mit-8-x-Tinte

I normally bite the bullet and get original inks. I have enough issues calibrating screen and print displays as it is without worrying if the ink is accurate. It would be nice to find a really good, spot on, cheap replacement though. A set for the pro 100 has gone from £60 to £80 since I last got some.

Last edited:
Like @AshleyC I only use genuine Inks heard to many horror stories about colours being off.

I've found Ebuyer to be good on price before

Yeah I guess I should just get more Canon rather than risk money being thrown down the drain.

Ebuyer is £73.

Some sites like 999 inks are advertising for £63 but I believe these are not originals - http://www.999inks.co.uk/inkjet-car...-cli-42-replacement-cartridges/2914/3p-n-018/

edit:
£68 from cartirdge save and they do say they're the genuine ones. http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/CLI-42MULTI.html

I guess with some shoping around and using cashback sites, you could probably get it down closer to £60.

Last edited:
Canson - icc profiles , the lot ,,, every type of paper you will ever need.
Me too. I wouldn't't use anything else now, and I have received several compliments from competition judges on the quality of print and paper.

Yeah I guess I should just get more Canon rather than risk money being thrown down the drain.

edit:
£68 from cartirdge save and they do say they're the genuine ones. http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/CLI-42MULTI.html

I guess with some shoping around and using cashback sites, you could probably get it down closer to £60.

Err, the prices are not inclusive of VAT, they over £83 when Vat is added

My pro 100 was delivered Wednesday, so far only managed to print one picture, but pleased with the results..

Must admit I wasn't anticipating how big it was going to be, it's already referred to has the coffee table..

Ordered mine via Wex, as similar price to elsewhere, but had a 2tb external hard-drive and permajet sample pack free (the printer itself also came with a sample pack of Pro Platinum) oh, and Wex in the box had put a lovely large Chocolate money christmas thingy, with Merry Christmas on it, brought a smile

Found that wirelessly it wouldn't set up, had to use a cable, but once this was done it automatically connects wirelessly.... Now just got to work out where I'm going to put it so I can reclaim my proper coffee table back....

if you are going to use permajet papers its worth doing the test prints and sending them off to permajet. They will make up a custom paper profile for you. It is a bit of a beast :) ive got mine in the spare bedroom, thankfully the wireless is picked up in there otherwise i would be sitting on it!

if you are going to use permajet papers its worth doing the test prints and sending them off to permajet. They will make up a custom paper profile for you. It is a bit of a beast :) ive got mine in the spare bedroom, thankfully the wireless is picked up in there otherwise i would be sitting on it!

I agree I've recently done this as I use Permajet I posted them on a Saturday morning and by Monday afternoon I had my profiles by email!

I'm trying to convince myself not to buy a pro-10, but don't think it's going very well. To me, a photo isn't complete until it's printed and on the wall. I've been using DSCL and Loxley, but I'm impatient and don't like saving up my prints to get them done once a month or so which means the postage costs begin to rack up. Most of my prints get printed onto A3 papers although they may be somewhere between A4 and A3 in actual size. Like-for-like, I'm hoping that the printing cost with gem inks would work out even or better (once I include postage but ignoring the cost of the printer). But, I'm a little afraid that with the convenience of the printer sat on the desk that I might end up printing more than I otherwise would and so end up finding the running costs too painful. In the last six weeks I've spent about £50 on lab printing plus £16 or so on postage.

Those who are using non-oem inks, how are you finding them? What about the chromium optimiser?

Chris

Last edited:
Anyone tried the Permajet oyster 271 with this printer? Ive got my 100s from wex but can't open it until Christmas!:whistle: However looking at the sample paper I'm really looking forward to trying the Oyster 271. Just wondering about other peoples results with this printer?

Anyone tried the Permajet oyster 271 with this printer? Ive got my 100s from wex but can't open it until Christmas!:whistle: However looking at the sample paper I'm really looking forward to trying the Oyster 271. Just wondering about other peoples results with this printer?
One of my favourite papers with this printer. Does b&w especially well.

Have ordered my 100S for what I think is a good price at the moment £299 from Wilkinson Camera via their EBay page. Cheapest I've found the ink multipack is £72 online (which has reminded my why S9000 got retired in the loft a few years ago lol). It's not cheap printing yourself is it! I've been using proam imaging for my printing needs and I don't want to calculate how many prints I could buy over the life of this printer vs the proam lab route - that way lies misery:). Still I've convinced myself it will be handy as I'm thinking about doing my A RPS distinction next year.

Anyhoo - is £72 as good as it gets for an original multipack?

Last edited:
Put it this way about 10 months ago I got a multi pack for £63 and have kept a very close eye on 8 outlets I trust and bought a 2nd pack for £65 a few months later. £72 is pretty much on the money especially if postage is included.

I got the cartridges in the end from WHSmith. £72.79 which was the cheapest I could find online, and used Quidco for an additional £4 or so cashback. Have ordered some Permajet papers as well, so will hopefully be soon up and running, even if I'm a lot poorer :(

Snap, my pro 100s is a Christmas pressie (but I've been allowed it early) so I've done a test print with the Oyster Paper using the canon Luster profile... And I was impressed so will be ordering up some A3+ after Christmas though as just haven't got time at the moment to play with said printer...

Snap, my pro 100s is a Christmas pressie (but I've been allowed it early) so I've done a test print with the Oyster Paper using the canon Luster profile... And I was impressed so will be ordering up some A3+ after Christmas though as just haven't got time at the moment to play with said printer...
Ohh lucky! Have you just made the one print so far? I have just placed an order for the A3+ oyster & a spyder5 which should drive tomorrow just in time for Christmas!!

Back