=Capture a stranger street style=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah still don't like these. You're either too far away, photographing dull moments like the guy picking his nose (????), cropping heavily because you know your too far away or just photographing scenes where people are completely incidental. You say you know what street is all about yet you're not showing it here. Keep trying.

Here are a few taken with the K10D and Sigma 135-400 and Tamron 1.4TC-mc4 ...

Exif data should be intact.
All images are resized only. No cropping, no PP, at all..This is how they came out of the box.

Here is my story :)

I spotted this beauty from a distance.
imgp4865eg6.jpg

So I started to walk in her direction...
imgp4873gm6.jpg

Then she turned around and I took another quick grab shot...
imgp4866oe9.jpg

After getting chased away by the ''PRO'' shutterbugs, I made my way around to a distant pier AND the hunt was on and so I shot her again...
imgp4880ok3.jpg

Busted, but she approved and kept smiling for me as I kept shooting....
imgp4884zl5.jpg

One more with a tight crop.
imgp4883do3.jpg

Here is another one. This one was a tough shot. Shooting at very long range and shooting from the sunlight into to the shadows...
imgp4915nu9.jpg

A 135-400mm lens with a 1.4tc isn't street photography. I keep saying it but get in close. Find moments not just people milling around. Clearly this was a staged photoshoot of some kind which to me doesn't say street. I also wouldn't crop that heavily, I'd get closer if I were too far away.

A 135-400mm lens with a 1.4tc isn't street photography. I keep saying it but get in close. Find moments not just people milling around. Clearly this was a staged photoshoot of some kind which to me doesn't say street. I also wouldn't crop that heavily, I'd get closer if I were too far away.

I agree with you on that one. I posted this one more for fun. That is more paparazzi style.

For the record I usually use my 10-20mm lens on DSLR or my G9 or G10 for those close up moments. I have some newer recent stuff, I have not looked through yet.

You're getting closer but I'm just not seeing anything hugely interesting. Its a woman sitting in a chair with the light on the other side of her. Move around to the other side to get better light. Find better moments.

Ok, here are a few more.
The first I shot with film, Tri-x 400 with Canon AE-1 and FD28MM lens. I mention this because I was only a few feet away, maybe 10-15. This is in Ritzy Pasadena with a couple of well do do folks carrying on a conversation with this fellow who is down on his luck and not even a place to lay his head. Normally I do not shoot these types of scenes and this is one of the few I have like this. Just trying to get a feeling for what is considered street this side of the pond. :)

700strangers40.jpg

This next fellow was dancing up a storm. He too was not all there, but I did end up taking him for a nice chicken lunch.
700strangers13-1.jpg

700strangers10-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried street, and it's not as easy as it looks. Here's a couple for Sunny Manchester with strange people !

2986596121_56ec1b90e7_o.jpg

2951776479_684cc65782_o.jpg

I have a couple of different lenses I use in the street. Both I shoot from the hip.
Sigma 12-24 and nikon 17-35. I use them on a D3 with a full size sensor so I get a true super wide angle. I only wish the D3 shutter was a little quieter !!

Better in the first two but then again you've got people who look incidental. Its almost like you know that you should be closer but you can't take the steps. You photograph the buildings in the hope of getting someone in the frame, or you're photographing the buildings as an excuse to photograph the people. But they're mostly just people standing around.

I got introduced to street photography during my travels, a mate I was staying with was into it and got me hooked. I spent 3 days just walking around town taking pics!

Ottawa has some interesting people :)

Got super lucky with the timing and position of the first.

2703728393_d877d9d821_o.jpg

2704560822_44d1d42577_o.jpg

2847157920_cf0ccc3e60_o.jpg

2703727981_77311e84b6_o.jpg

Last edited:
Better in the first two but then again you've got people who look incidental. Its almost like you know that you should be closer but you can't take the steps. You photograph the buildings in the hope of getting someone in the frame, or you're photographing the buildings as an excuse to photograph the people. But they're mostly just people standing around.

Actually, I got exactly what I wanted. Obviously my likes and definitions are different than yours. I have accepted that this is ok for me. Sticking a camera in someones face is not my idea of photography, although I will admit when I did do it, I was thinking of you. none the less, my street images are what I like in them.

Actually, I got exactly what I wanted. Obviously my likes and definitions are different than yours. I have accepted that this is ok for me. Sticking a camera in someones face is not my idea of photography, although I will admit when I did do it, I was thinking of you. none the less, my street images are what I like in them.

Your definition isn't different from mine.

''My definition'' of Street photography is not simply a ''snap shot'' but it is photograph. It is well framed, well composed and tells a story. It will contain a stranger or a candid image of a person.

To me your photos are more like snapshots. They don't really tell a story and its not about sticking a camera in someones face. Its about, as you say, telling a story. People standing around in doorways, walking down the street, milling around in the corner of the frame don't tell stories.

I think you are getting hung up on definitions. Just check out some Henri Cartier-Bresson images for guidance. He was one of the original great street photographers.

Street photography is just taking un-posed and usually anonymous images of people on the street. No other definition required !!

If you manage to capture some emotion/action/story then you have generally been lucky. There is generally no time to compose or create ! just point and shoot !

I'm a huge fan of HCB and I'm ok on my definitions of street photography. I just don't feel that these photos work. There's a big street photo thread on TP full of images that do work.

Hello & Welcome to the forum,

I've had a look through all of the images you've posted and on a positive side I can see that you have a real passion for taking street images, you certainly have the drive for it and I respect the fact that your getting up off your behind and going shooting.
But I strongly agree with the constructive critique you have received. I also agree that you will benefit greatly if you accepted the advice offered.
Petemc, although quite the blunt and direct gentleman he is, is trying to help you to take better images. You clearly get enjoyment from photography so it's natural for someone who understands the genre to want to guide and assist.

The first issue that strikes me when looking at your images is that you lack confidence, the 'sticking the camera in folk's faces' part of your above reply illustrates that you have a confidence issue. It's not quite as bad as that but I think most people do feel a little uncomfortable taking a shot of someone on the streets, the only problem is it really shows in your images.
Most of the subject matter in your photo's is very far away, occupying very little of the frame and leaving a very disconnected image. I really like the image of the couple kissing in the water with the waves, my only gripe is that the strongest part of the frame occupies a only small percent.

My advice would be to ditch your tele lenses and go out and about armed with only a 24mm and 50mm prime lenses.
Scary I know, but you will get much more exciting results that will make you much happier.

Also cropping the hell out of an image to compensate for the proximity degrades the quality of the image significantly. Getting closer will give you a much higher IQ. Try to eliminate the need or desire to crop for a while.

I remember a quote from someone, can't quite remember who but it went something a little like this:
"If you think you have the shot perfectly framed, then take two more steps toward your subject!"
Try it!

The next issue is the context, there is a lot of incidental or 'plain' context, not many 'moments' that engage and captivate the viewer.

Focus more on moments, expressions, actions and spirit.

Have a good read through the links the Pete initially posted, Edinburgh Gary has inspired some very valuable discussions that take place within those threads.
Gary is very inquisitive and passionate with his images, he's not afraid to ask, he's not afraid to experiment or challenge himself and most importatnly, he's not afraid to fail. All of us can learn from this.
IMO, it's a priceless discussion to read and absorb if street photography is of interest to you (which it clearly is).

All the best

T.

Last edited:
Gary is very inquisitive and passionate with his images, he's not afraid to ask, he's not afraid to experiment or challenge himself and most importatnly, he's not afraid to fail. All of us can learn from this.
IMO, it's a priceless discussion to read and absorb if street photography is of interest to you (which it clearly is).

All the best

T.

Thats a lovely thing to say mate, I mean it. And with regards to failing? I love it :D means I get to spend more time trying harder on the next shoot! :)

Take the advice on board and keep posting!!!

Gary.

Thats a lovely thing to say mate, I mean it. And with regards to failing? I love it :D means I get to spend more time trying harder on the next shoot! :)

Take the advice on board and keep posting!!!

Gary.

Will do and if anyone can provide me a link to the other street threads, I would appreciate it.

Thanks Gary, I will check them out and dive in. :)

I think I learned a lot during the street challenge. Still a lot to learn, but I feel I have a better grasp of it, and much more confidence.

Gary.

I like the way he hand holds the flash in that Vid, good idea, I like his results also.
It's the sort of close in street photography that you can get away with in such a busy location.

Thanks for the advice guys. :)
resized.jpg

That's better subject matter, odd is good! The only things is the angle, it's a little on the flat/safe side, try to get some interesting angles and different perspectives. You can practice this with the most boring object you can find around the home, then make it as interesting as you possibly can with angles, perspectives and depth of field.

Ok, Check out this video a friend of mine just sent me.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/12/whaddaya-mean-n.html
I am curious on your thoughts.

Man, that dude has some serious ball.

Gary.

No worries, just an observation TBH mate, as I've said before, your methods and progressions are very inspirational. :clap:
One of my biggest weaknesses is the fear of failing, sometimes I return home from a job to review the days frames and all I see is 'safe' shots. I didn't push any perspective/angles, wasn't close enough or I didn't try anything out of the box, it's a very disappointing issue that I am going to eliminate this year. :bonk:

T.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back