catclick's 52 week challenge 2021 - Done & Dusted

I live in Cornwall and while I'm not Cornish I do agree with their sentiment in that jam always goes on before cream. It is just logical, you can easily spread cream over a layer of jam but if you try to spread jam over layer of cream it would just go everywhere.

My wife's from Devon and the rationale is that the cream is your dairy so it goes on first - like if you were making jam on toast - or jam on bread for that matter - you put the butter on first then spread the jam.

(That said, I tried it both ways last time I had a cream tea and preferred the jam first. Don't tell her!!)

Great idea for the shot. And nicely captured - there's a real richness to that jam.

Last edited:
A very tasty image, I have no preference which way round they are as long as it ends up in my belly!

I really like the light painting it looks great. Can I ask what you used to get the changing colours?

I really like the light painting it looks great. Can I ask what you used to get the changing colours?
It was a light saber type thing where the torch changed colour constantly. Unfortunately, not mine, can't remember the name but it is apparently has been discontinued for quite a few years. I thought I might see if I can find a colour changing torch and attach a clear tube to it.

Nice! Very effective use of the light there. It's not something I've ever tried but it looks really cool I must say.

That's neat! Looks really good. Nice and different.
Would look good framed on a wall.

That’s a really cool, it’s something I keep meaning to have a go at but somehow never get around to :)

I think this looks fab. The vibrant colour against the black background makes for a dramatic image.

I love the bold, abstract feel of it, and the smoothness of the shapes. The way it runs out of the frame jars a little, as If I want to see it resolve.

Some lovely lines in this photo and ticks the box for the theme.

Lovely lines in this picture, I remember that there was a strange shop there full of Harry Potter memorabilia (not something Edinburgh is short of!). It had a very wonky staircase inside it too.

Nicely done - face I didn't get until I read Bee's comment - now I can't unsee it! :LOL:

I get the face, but when I saw the image originally I was drawn by the simplicity and relevance to the theme. For me, the second one goes a step too far and so your original choice was a good decision IMO. Nice.

I do love a goldfinch (we have loads in out garden), but they're tricky blighters to shoot in focus as they move so fast. You've caught this one nicely.

Nicely captured. Perhaps could be a touch brighter for my taste.

Nice one - agree about needing a bit more light.

One of our prettiest birds, I think. I wouldn't have known it has had the sky replaced. Tricky when the light is difficult, but I agree, maybe a little brightening would work well.

Lovely profile you've captured. I agree that a little brightening might lift it.

I think the second attempt is better, the bird doesn't seem that superimposed unlike the first one where the bird looks a bit flat.

I like the pearls and again, I prefer the second one as I can't stop seeing the face in the first image.

Back