Cemeteries - An Open Thread

Hi, a grave with a male mourner, which is rare. Typically, they are female here ... :

L1020122_DxO-L24a-c.jpg

carved out of the rock - all the (Monks) bodies were removed some time ago and buried elsewhere, so I suppose it's a "dead" cemetery

Monastery in Southern France

TP_cemetery.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, about to be demolished ... (Typically a lease of a site is for 25 years, and can be renewed by relatives, if any ... . If there is no interest, beautiful graves are demolished.) :

L1020002_DxO-L28-c.jpg

Hi, a rather personal posting : my father died 50 years ago ... :

L1025541_DxO-L3824-c.jpg

Can't remember if I've posted this one before. It's the colours and the texture that fascinated me.

DSCF2101.jpg

I've only just found this thread and it is very interesting. I only have a few to share but will be following.

St Luke's, East Baldwin by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Above is St. Luke's church and graveyard at East Baldwin, Isle of Man. There was an ancient keeill on this site and various buildings have replaced it over the years. The current building, once used both as a church and elementary school, was consecrated and opened in 1836.

11 Artificial by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Malew churchyard, Isle of Man. Selective colour is something I don't usually like but it was for a weekly challenge and seemed to suit the bright flowers and their reflection among the stones and marble.

Last edited:
Back