Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

I'll get back to you on that one Baz...maybe transparent would be the lightest because there’s no colour pigment in it [emoji23]

:D Clever Dick!

Hi Steve

This is awesome, have been tempted by something like the intrepid, from watching some stuff on YouTube, but this awesome, very tempting, just need to look in to lens and film back options etc.

Hi Steve

This is awesome, have been tempted by something like the intrepid, from watching some stuff on YouTube, but this awesome, very tempting, just need to look in to lens and film back options etc.

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like the look of it. If there's anything I can help with answering, let me know :) The camera will come with a pinhole board and a blank lens board so you can start to use it without buying a lens straight away. I need to test some more makes of 5x4 holders but any should fit with the design of the back.

Ooooooh 6x12!!! So exciting :D

It will be even more exciting when I actually get them cut! I've also been working on a single-sheet wet plate holder today to go alongside the 612 back;

WetPlate Holder.jpg

WetPlate HolderFront.jpg

I'm not fully decided on the use of acrylic hinges on the rear door rather than a simplified drop in guide (like the lens board) yet but they will ensure a light tight fit so will probably be used in the final version. I also haven't drawn in the locking brackets for the top of the rear yet but these will most likely be simple rotating catches. My priority is getting the standard camera launched and will then look at adding the 612 and wet plate backs as stretch goals.

Finally I'm going to get my hands back on to a laser cutter tonight! I've got to setup the new cutter and figure out the best power/speed first but will be cutting my gloss black Chroma later. I'll take some photos/videos as I go but should hopefully have an assembled camera soon so I can get the campaign started.

I haven't got acrylic for cutting the 612 or wet plate backs but they'll be next on the list, along with a matt black Chroma for Hamish Gill from 35mmc.com

Stealth or bling Chroma, too many choices :runaway:

Tartan - to match the tartan bellows I saw in the Kickstarter vdeo of another LF camera. Surely a tartan option will be available?

Tartan - to match the tartan bellows I saw in the Kickstarter vdeo of another LF camera. Surely a tartan option will be available?

In a little over 2 months (more precisely, on easter Sunday), you'll be able to buy a limited edition run of tartan paint from B&Q. You'll need to get there early to ensure you get a can.

If you do FB, then here's some tartan paint right now...

In a little over 2 months (more precisely, on easter Sunday), you'll be able to buy a limited edition run of tartan paint from B&Q. You'll need to get there early to ensure you get a can.

At my age, my memory and wits aren't what they once were, so I might be wrong on both counts, but

1) Doesn't easter Sunday fall on April 1st this year, and is there a connection to be made and

2) I actually have a vague recollection that someone did find a way of making tartan paint, although I can't imagine how, many many years ago. So long ago, that it's probably a troglodytan myth...

I take back the "myth" part. If it's on FaceBook it must be true.

At my age, my memory and wits aren't what they once were, so I might be wrong on both counts, but

1) Doesn't easter Sunday fall on April 1st this year, and is there a connection to be made and

2) I actually have a vague recollection that someone did find a way of making tartan paint, although I can't imagine how, many many years ago. So long ago, that it's probably a troglodytan myth...

As far as 1) goes, yes and yes. As for 2), I think that might have been announced on the date in 1) some years back.

Some more progress pictures. Annoyingly, I ran out of M3 rivnuts last night (which are used to bolt the whole camera together!) so I’m stuck waiting for them to arrive. As I’ve assembled it, I’ve made a few tweaks to a couple of the parts to help assembly but I’m really happy with the build so far.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Closed down for putting into the bag

IMG_0066.jpg

The front lens frame isn’t bolted together fully yet so this is just a dry run (hence the protective film is still on it!);

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

[emoji3]

Some more progress pictures. Annoyingly, I ran out of M3 rivnuts last night (which are used to bolt the whole camera together!) so I’m stuck waiting for them to arrive. As I’ve assembled it, I’ve made a few tweaks to a couple of the parts to help assembly but I’m really happy with the build so far.

View attachment 119027

View attachment 119028

Closed down for putting into the bag

View attachment 119029

The front lens frame isn’t bolted together fully yet so this is just a dry run (hence the protective film is still on it!);

View attachment 119030

View attachment 119031

View attachment 119032

[emoji3]

Kewl..

Right, I've just re-cut some of the parts for the rear standard as I wasn't happy with my original plan of using 2mm acrylic for the rear bellows plate as there was too much risk of it fracturing. I've now got the rear standard made up of 3 x 5mm parts so it's much more rigid without adding too much weight. It's also simplified the cutting process as I've removed a few parts that were used to sandwich the original 2mm bellows plate to the standard.

I'll be bolting together the rear standard and uprights tonight then just need to bond the two plates that make up focusing bed.

Oh my goodness..... I'm not sure i should be getting this excited at my age. :D

Looking good Steve, really good.(y)

I really wish I had the patience for LF and home developing and/or space to have one of these deployed for display.

I really wish I had the patience for LF and home developing and/or space to have one of these deployed for display.

It may seem strange, but it's my lack of patience that means LF works for me. I need the discipline to force me to pay proper attention to the exact camera position, and even the careful consideration of whether an exposure would be worthwhile.

Brain surgery a few years ago has left me with a rather short attention span so I'm very easily distracted. Chances are that I'd get half way through setting the Chroma up ready to shoot and forget all about it. I'm fine with older skills so can handle driving (I tell passengers to shut up if they distract me!) and snap shooting but find much more considered stuff challenging. At least the surgery has given me a life as well as the enthusiasm to enjoy it as long as I can.

Brain surgery a few years ago has left me with a rather short attention span so I'm very easily distracted. Chances are that I'd get half way through setting the Chroma up ready to shoot and forget all about it. I'm fine with older skills so can handle driving (I tell passengers to shut up if they distract me!) and snap shooting but find much more considered stuff challenging. At least the surgery has given me a life as well as the enthusiasm to enjoy it as long as I can.

Down the road, I’ve got plans for a more point and shoot large format system (like a Travelwide) so maybe the Chroma Snapshot will be the better option [emoji1303]

With a digital back? :p ;) :D

Extreme lateral thought... Could an A4 scanner be used as a "sensor"? Not exactly a portable solution but I'm sure it would be possible to power it with a motorbike battery and an inverter IF it could be made to capture a projected image.

Extreme lateral thought... Could an A4 scanner be used as a "sensor"? Not exactly a portable solution but I'm sure it would be possible to power it with a motorbike battery and an inverter IF it could be made to capture a projected image.

Scanner cams have been around for a long time and they give pretty acceptable results from what I've seen. Some scanners run from USB so could be powered using a power bank for portability and the one I've got can scan direct to my iPhone via the app so wouldn't even need a laptop :0)

Back