Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

Personal
Of the two, I am edging more towards the second shot. I like the detail of the workings and the reflection. They're both nicely done though
Cheers Dom (y) it seems the second is the most popular.
Second one with the workings, nicely stacked.
Thanks Allan (y)
Another choice for the second one, really is nice showing the workings of the watch and like the reflection.
Cheers Dave (y)

Up close
For the triptyph I would have swapped the positions of flowers 1 and 2 to balance the similar sized images at either side.
The detail on the hoverfly is impressive and just jumps straight out of the image
Personal
A very poignant back story, I like both images but prefer the workings in the second one.
Cheers Stuart (y)
I did try all the combinations with the triptych, but having the 2 colours next to each other just didn't seem to work somehow.

That second shot is great. I got my grandfathers watch but it was terribly beaten up. Every watch place I took it to said it wasn't economical to repair. I told 'em it was sentimental but they still wouldn't touch it. Nowhere near as fancy as this one though. Fascinating subject and lots of detail - enough to admire the workmanship.
Cheers Ian, (y) that's a real shame about your inherited watch though.

Liking the hover fly - curious as to the lens and/or filters you used - assuming hand held - in which case . very nicely done
pocketwatch - the second one, more details in it. nicely stacked...
I need to practice that more...
Cheers (y)
Hoverfly, yes hand held, Canon M50, Canon 100 L is macro lens, ( plus adapter) no filters.
ISO 200, f/4 - 1/200th /sec

Really nice clock shot. Particularly like No2.

Guess it's the second one then :). Nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

That's a lovely watch and a lovely story. Personally (see what I did there...) I prefer the second shot for composition and detail.

That's a lovely watch and a lovely story. Personally (see what I did there...) I prefer the second shot for composition and detail.
Thanks Helen (y)
( and yes I did see :D )

A good bit of craftmanship went into that watch. bot are nice, but the inner bits work better for me.

Pete

Lovely back story and lovely watch. I'm guessing he knew he wouldn't make it to your 18th. So special to have been given it like this.

Lovely back story and lovely watch. I'm guessing he knew he wouldn't make it to your 18th. So special to have been given it like this.
Thanks Bee, (y)
Although he appeared to be in good health, that was my guess too.

Just spotted you have over 100k posts now. Did you celebrate as you tipped over into 6 figures?
I had to post a thread about it, now didn't I? :D

Week 24 Green
Well the Pellucid Fly ( hover fly )
is sat on a green leaf (y)

1624621167082.jpeg

Week 25 Snappers choice,
I've always been an ad-mara of these little cavids

1624621356605.jpeg

Lovely shot of the hoverfly for Green. I've never (knowingly) seen that one. I do enjoy the challenge of photographing hoverflies.

I don't know this strange animal that you post - looks interesting and not from around here. How big is it? Hare sized? Its head is almost horse like. Fascinating! Nicely captured.

Lovely shot of the hoverfly for Green. I've never (knowingly) seen that one.
Cheers Bee, they aren't that common as I understand it.

I don't know this strange animal that you post - looks interesting and not from around here. How big is it? Hare sized?
Its a Patagonian Mara, ( hence my little pun) maybe twice as big as a large hare, they roam free at Whipsnade zoo.
And are related to guinea pigs.

Looks as though it was made up of leftover bits!
LOL almost Joan almost.

Here's one sitting

by Chris, on Flickr

The Mara must be a relative of the Capybara then in some way the image of him laying in the grass is spot on

The Mara must be a relative of the Capybara then in some way the image of him laying in the grass is spot on
Cheers Allan, They are both Cavies along with Guinea pigs. (y)

Last edited:
Cheers Bee, they aren't that common as I understand it.

Its a Patagonian Mara, ( hence my little pun) maybe twice as big as a large hare, they roam free at Whipsnade zoo.
And are related to guinea pigs.

LOL almost Joan almost.

Here's one sitting

by Chris, on Flickr
Ah that's why google struggled ha ha! I was looking for Ad-mara :LOL: Cavid caught me out too, though I know guinea pigs are Cavies. I agree with Joan, it does look like it's got a bit of everything in it. Thanks for educating us!

Like the Mara, my partner is from Argentina.. The first time she encountered one..... was in the wild of Whipsnade! :ROFLMAO:

Great bug shot... its fly time around here - the damp weather has brought them out and they drive me nuts! Fly swat in every room at the moment.
When I first saw the Mara I thought it was a hare with an ear problem.. weird looking animal but sort of cute.

Great bug shot... its fly time around here - the damp weather has brought them out and they drive me nuts! Fly swat in every room at the moment.
When I first saw the Mara I thought it was a hare with an ear problem.. weird looking animal but sort of cute.
Thanks Helen, :) yes they are cute, well I think so.
Thankfully its never really fly season here, I just get the odd one or two.. as normal I guess.

Green
Good, clean, sharp shot of the fly.

Choice
He/she posed nicely for you. It looks like a bright sunny day, not ideal conditions for photography, but you don't a good job on this, not to have any overly bright areas.

Green
Good, clean, sharp shot of the fly.

Choice
He/she posed nicely for you. It looks like a bright sunny day, not ideal conditions for photography, but you don't a good job on this, not to have any overly bright areas.
Cheers Dom (y)as long as you don't try and chase or touch them you can get quite close.
TBH it was the only bright sunny day that week out of 7 days of drizzle / mizzle :(

You had me.... Had you just told him one of your jokes? :ROFLMAO:

Excellent detail you've captured there. It is actually quite interesting to see - teeth for grinding and cutting.

A gob shot? Wait, didn't someone have a thread about that... o wait...

Made me chuckle though. He look just like how I'm feeling as I type this... :)

You had me.... Had you just told him one of your jokes? :ROFLMAO:
All I said was I thought today was a little 'Otter than it had been lately :D

Excellent detail you've captured there. It is actually quite interesting to see - teeth for grinding and cutting.
Cheers Bee, (y) and of course not forgetting the canines for holding, although one seems to be missing.

A gob shot? Wait, didn't someone have a thread about that... o wait...
I don't know what you mean :D

Made me chuckle though. He look just like how I'm feeling as I type this... :)
LOL Thanks Ian (y)

Back