Conservation and Shooting.

wow... just found this.... what a great thread... I would give my right arm to have so much at my disposal.... I fly a hawk, during the winter season, mainly at rabbits, but it is the stunning scenery that thrills me as much as watching the hawk do her thing.... I have some pics of the hawk in action if you fancy a squint.... they are not up to the standards of most of the stuff on here... but Im new to the photography game, I am more a wildlife painter... taking pics for reference... any way, I just wanted to add my twopenneth... Paul

Interesting to see how much further on the trees are down with you. We had hailstones again yesterday & frost this morning.
River looks quite low too.
Badger sett looking active.
As for the grey. Well they are a pest species.
Keep up the good work.(y)

River is very low mate,walked across this afternoon without getting soggy feet.

Found three active setts so far,which is good.

Checked on the deer yesterday, they seem happy enough.

SikaHinds.jpg

I reckon that deer is whispering to the other "Look at that mad fool, we had better put on a pose for him seeing as he has such a big one":D

Good to see everything progressing nicely.

Crappy woodpecker out of the hide.

GreaterSpottedwoodpecker1.jpg

The permanant hide that some kind chap made for me is still in storage ,pending arguing about the best place for it.I want it on the river,owner wants it in the meadow, I bet I win........:naughty:

Crappy woodpecker out of the hide.

GreaterSpottedwoodpecker1.jpg

The permanant hide that some kind chap made for me is still in storage ,pending arguing about the best place for it.I want it on the river,owner wants it in the meadow, I bet I win........:naughty:

Why not just have two!:coat:

If your about at the end of May Charlie, Mrs Frac and Miss Frac are coming up to Scotland with me, neither have ever seen a red, any danger of an hour in your hide?

Breakfast and apple tart shall be supplied of course............:D

Anyway, spot the mirror............:cautious:

Mirror.jpg

Oooops, should have added, the new gamekeeper was watching a bird of prey yesterday, sat in a tree next to the river.He described it to me and I showed him a picture of an Osprey, he is sure that is what it was. Now before anybody says why didn`t he know, we have not had ospreys down here for years, so he hasn`t seen them, but they are coming back. The bird may have been just visiting, but we shall keep an eye out for it...............(y)

If Mrs Frac is coming we had best stay away from the pole dancing then!

If Mrs Frac is coming we had best stay away from the pole dancing then!

She is quite liberal minded Charlie, she puts up with me for goodness sake...............:LOL:

That is excellent news. Looking forward to some Osprey captures soon (y)

She is quite liberal minded Charlie, she puts up with me for goodness sake...............:LOL:

Aye true enough!
You will be welcome to spend some time in the hide. You can borrow the spare key.

That is excellent news. Looking forward to some Osprey captures soon (y)

Like I said mate, it may just be passing through, though there are reports of more about now.I`m not getting excited just yet..........:)

Aye true enough!
You will be welcome to spend some time in the hide. You can borrow the spare key.

You are a true gent................(y)

I have been called many things, usually beginning with b & ending in d.
Not sure about the gent bit though.:LOL:

Been out looking for badger setts, spotted this off the viaduct and thought it looked quite nice.

A view from the west edge of the estate.

PoliceWood.jpg

I haven`t seen the dippers for weeks now, bit concerned TBH.

This is the view some badgers get IF they ever venture out of the sett in daylight..............:bang:

PoliceWood2.jpg

Hinds are heavy now, should start seeing fawns within a week or two......(y)

PregnantHind.jpg

Another live sett.

BadgerSett2.jpg

Badger sett is down there......somewhere......;)

BadgerSettarea2.jpg

Last edited:
Swallow on a wire

Swallow.jpg

And a nuttie on an oak tree,I think it is oak anyway.........:shrug:

Nuthatch3.jpg

I`m only posting this to show that they are loosing their winter coats.

DeerCleaning.jpg

Peregrine feeding young.800mm and still a big crop off a D300, before someone mentions licenses...............:wave:

PeregrineandYoung1.jpg

Crap shot of one.

Peregrine1.jpg

The lights was pants today, but this is their terrain.

PeregrineLand.jpg

Last edited:
Just catching up Ade
Great story so far matey !
Nice to see the wild peregrines with chicks as well (y)

Just catching up Ade
Great story so far matey !
Nice to see the wild peregrines with chicks as well (y)

They had four eggs Chris, but I can only make out two chicks. I`ll take the TC with me next time I go..........(y)

Got another meeting with the landowner tomorrow, gonna broach the subject of opening it up for togs............:thinking:

Got another meeting with the landowner tomorrow, gonna broach the subject of opening it up for togs............:thinking:[/QUOTE]

:clap: (y)
If they say yes I'm sure you will have quite a list of potential visitors (put me down aswell please)

Got another meeting with the landowner tomorrow, gonna broach the subject of opening it up for togs............:thinking:

:clap: (y)
If they say yes I'm sure you will have quite a list of potential visitors (put me down aswell please)[/QUOTE]

It has been given the OK, the only condition from the owner and the keeper is that I must be present at all times and direct people in where they can and cannot go,fair comment I think.

Cocks being, well, cocks really.

Fightingcocks.jpg

Some great pictures and a great insight of what you are doing up there

very jealous of what you are doing to be honest keep up the mighty fine work and keep the pics coming

Some great pictures and a great insight of what you are doing up there

very jealous of what you are doing to be honest keep up the mighty fine work and keep the pics coming

Thanks for saying so and yes,I will keep going with it.

They had four eggs Chris, but I can only make out two chicks. I`ll take the TC with me next time I go..........(y)

Looks like there is an egg behind the chicks Ade?

There is Chris, don`t think it is gonna hatch now, the night time hours in May have been very cold up here, I guess it succumbed to those.

Anyway, I have not seen the kingfishers for a while, so I thought i`d sit on the opposite bank from my hide and just watch for things.Lo and behold, looked what turned up,crap picture, BUT.....That stone is literally 8 feet from my hide........:bang::bang::bang:

Kingfisher3.jpg

And this fine chap crossed the river further downstream, nice to see one close up for a change..........(y)

Roebuck2.jpg

Ducklings and an oystercatcher. The river looks very green because it is a stony river, it is very low and the moss on the stones is growing very well.The trees are all pretty much in full leaf now so the reflections of those could be causing the green as well.

Ducklings.jpg

OysterCatcher2.jpg

All very cool matey :)

Except the KF landing in front of my hide when I was on the other bank.It dived, caught a fish and landed on that stone.If only..............I was in the hide.

But I guess that is how it goes at times.

Duck with young.

Duckandyoung.jpg

Last edited:
Back