Coohullin's 52 - Week 26 Beginnings (pg 10)

That's an interesting take on the theme. As others have said number 2 is the stand out. Great use of a long exposure.

Poem.... the third pic stands out for me, something a little different and I prefer the colour over the b&w.

Chopped....Nice take on the chopped apple theme :D, the first one stands out from your other versions, it passes my mouth watering test.

Street....A very good set of images, made it hard to choose a favourite but no.2 is my choice.

Speed...Second one for me as there is a little more finger movement, it was also one of my ideas too.

(y)

Last edited:
nice idea, prefer the second one, more movement, and nicer angle of the keyboard

Lots of movement, nice lighting and a really good 'take' on the theme.

Oooooh! That's a really unique take on the theme. I'm not sure that the composition is really working in the first one, but you've got it spot on in number 2.

Very inventive. It might have been nice to try it in colour with the hands lit by a nice bit of glow from the screen, but it does work well and a goo dfit for the theme.

Speed Typing

Nice idea... I like this a lot! I wonder if something a little closer in, with just one hand might have worked better compositionally, but a nice idea all the same and one worth developing further IMHO. (y)

A great idea, and I think the second shot works better, both because of more movement in the hand, and the lighting.

The second one for me also. I tried something similar with a piano, and tried those exact same angles.

Not sure whether it's my laptop screen but they look a little flat too. Did you do a simple convert to B&W or did you tweak levels/curves/contrast?

Ian.

Hehe i really like your second shot. I don't know why but i can imagine this in some sort of psychology magazine. :wacky:

Maybe i need to speak to a psychologist :puke: :p

I have worked in Japan a few times and was advised to always present my business card with both hands and to receive a card with both hands as well - and always read it carefully when you receive it!

So I present my Week 6 which is essentially presenting my business card to present myself!

4353875828_0ab28ee753.jpg

4353127795_22e50710f3.jpg

4353128895_47435df987.jpg

4353130523_5edb570f4d.jpg

4353879752_8e861752b3.jpg

- and yes, the card in 5 is a little grubby - shall try to clean it up!

4353882178_96c81e07e6.jpg

So many choices but I'm going to be picky :D. Going by your experience working in Japan I've ruled out all shots showing only 1 hand. I like the composition of 1 as you are handng over your card but would have prefered it without the table. So No.1 with the background and DOF of No.2.

(y)

I'm with Foggy on this one. The first one with two and and no table would be great.

like the dof in no 2 and i feel it does give the impression that you are presenting it to somebody

Agree with Andy above, number 2 gives a better impression of presenting to someone. Good use of DoF to highlight your name. You could have printed some proper cards though :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: Brilliant idea.

I wonder where that Japanese tradition comes from - it just feels odd to present such a tiny card with both hands. From a photographic perspective it really works. The ones with both hands definitely have more impact.

I love the re-edited version of no.1 with the black background, but TBH the first 3 all work well and I can't quite pick a favourite. I'd love to see them given identical PP treatment and presented as a triptych.

No.2 : from your perspective getting ready to hand over the card.
No.1 : from the other person's perspective seeing you present the card.
No.3 : from the other person's perspective having taken the card and now reading it.

So many of these threads to read - I'm having trouble getting through them all and taking shots myself :LOL:

I like your first street shot.

I'm going to be a bit different fro the others with week 6 - I prefer number 4.

I like number 2 then 1, both are good shots - I think the interest in shot 2, just edges ahead; makes the viewer work a little.

Most things the Japanese do are deep and symbolic its good to see, so many people in western society hand out cards like candy with no importance to them - pause for thought ;)

I like the Present shot, it's a really good variation on the theme! :)

I like the edited version, and the use of 2 hands gives the image a good symmetry too :)

My fave is the edit of no.1. (y) Given that the Japanese are so formal about such matters I think the symmetry is the most appropriate.

Good idea - really nice take on the theme. (y)

Thank you all for the feedback - it is most encouraging!

Not however encouraging enough to get me out on the street again for this week's theme so like many others I tried my utmost to do a 'people' shot without involving any people!

The subject of motorcycling came up in work the other day and my boss remarked "I didn't have you down as a biker!" and so I guess each of us are many different people depending on the boxes that others put us in.

So here are 3 of the people that make up who I am....there are many more:

4373404520_ab7934c46e.jpg

Nice take on the theme and three very good shots to include. Be nice to have them all the same size and a bigger image overall, but very well thought out.

Thanks Darren & Nick.

Nick I traded in a Fireblade at the beginning of the Summer for a Triumph Sprint ST1050 to use for commuting between Leeds and Newcastle.

4373550666_d2dee7b2e0.jpg

I am also in the process of shipping a Honda VTX1300 over from the USA. I bought it last February when I spent 10 weeks riding across the states. The plan was to sell it in California but after 14,500 miles I became pretty attached to her!

4373553126_c1b6b94a41.jpg

What about yours?

Thank you all for the feedback - it is most encouraging!

Not however encouraging enough to get me out on the street again for this week's theme so like many others I tried my utmost to do a 'people' shot without involving any people!

The subject of motorcycling came up in work the other day and my boss remarked "I didn't have you down as a biker!" and so I guess each of us are many different people depending on the boxes that others put us in.

So here are 3 of the people that make up who I am....there are many more:

4373404520_ab7934c46e.jpg

Love that. Simple idea, but shows "you" off really well. Would be nice to see a bigger version though.

I did a triptych last week.. did my head in putting it together and getting the size right ;) that works really well and gives a good insight into you :)

the present shots are fab.. like the edited version of the first shot, very different!

Love your last 2 weeks photos. Really like your edited shot for 'present' and you take on 'people' is probably the best I have seen yet

As above, it needs to be BIGGER I nearly missed it. Great idea to show yourself in a triptych, each shot representing a different part of you. (y)

As above, it needs to be BIGGER I nearly missed it. Great idea to show yourself in a triptych, each shot representing a different part of you. (y)

:agree:

It is a really good idea. Well thought out and executed.

Bigger pls.

Ian.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Well I have been trying to stick with the rules here about image sizes so here is a link to a bigger version on flickr:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/4373404520_ab7934c46e_b.jpg

Karlos - I went on a date a while back and the girl in question said I didn't seem like the kind of person to have a tattoo (there wasn't a second date!) which stuck in my mind about how people categorise others so easily......and I also like a beer so I thought I would try and get tattoo and beer-drinking into a shot - which when trying to keep your face out of the shots is not easy!

Back