Cotswold Airshow (Kemble)

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
First time out with a DSLR at an airshow. Used the 120-300 with a 1.4x TC and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Trying to keep the shutter speed down for prop blur is a nightmare! I obviously need to work on my panning skills :)

Full set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jj_glos/sets/72157624198923791/

I dabbled with some processing so the sky colours are a bit inconsistent, oops!

Last edited:
Very Nice, - seems to work well with the TC and says nice and sharp

3 & 4 seem to both have a couple of dust specs mis top left and lower right that could do with cloning out, 5 is my fav,

Will have at a look at the full set on FLickr later.

Not shabby at all. Pretty darn good in fact

Very nice set!
As mentioned the dust bunnies need to go and maybe the last 2 are a touch oversharpened.
I'm ploughing through a lot of blurry shots from the day having decided to shoot a lot of the prop planes at 1/100 and the success rate isn't very high!

Last edited:
Cheers. Yes I could do with going through these again, I missed the dust spots late last night and I set a few through a batch process today which has gone a tad over the top! I was in too much of a rush!

you obviously went on the sunday, or did you clone that sky in. I went saturday felt more like siberia.

Good shots by the way.

I went sunday, don't want to rub it in but I think i've got sunstroke :D

Nice shots, i went on Saturday and it was bloody freezing! Went back on Sunday afternoon and sat on the grass at the end of the run way to see the typhoon after missing it Saturday morning.

Never been to a air show before but really enjoyed it, couldn't believe the amount of cameras and huge lenses everywhere you looked. Got a couple of half decent shots with my Sigma 18-250mm but never really expected it to be up to the job and they're not a patch on the the above.

Last edited:
Nice shots. Plenty of changing settings on sunday, exposure nightmares. Got "airshow forehead" too.
Just going through my shots now. Be pleased if they are any good. Well done on yours.
Dean:)

So more superb shots here! Very nice!

Nice shots. Plenty of changing settings on sunday, exposure nightmares. Got "airshow forehead" too.
Just going through my shots now. Be pleased if they are any good. Well done on yours.
Dean:)

Indeed, I wasn't positioned very well as there was a large bush/tree in the way of the take off flight path, so changing shutter speed for jet vs prop was not easy not knowing what was coming next. Easier on props as you could hear them coming, but jets were on top of me before I knew it lol.

Yeah tell me about it, I got burnt on Sunday down one side of my face lol! Not nearly enough sun cream I guess!

Cheers all :)

Yes I went on the Sunday, no cloning of sky but some have had a bit of a boost in PP. My forearms, head and the back of my legs are a nice shade of red. Coming from Gloucester I am a proper Cherry and White now! :D

your Hurricane shots are miles better than mine, some of which were shocking. A very sharp set, nice work.

Lovely shots, well captured, if my shots come out half as good at a local air show coming up soon as yours I will be happy.

Clarke

your Hurricane shots are miles better than mine, some of which were shocking. A very sharp set, nice work.

This is the first time I've used a DSLR at an airshow and I do have a better appreciation of photography than before (high shutter speed all of the time on my old Panny FZ30). So I went with the lower shutter speed to get the prop blur, I took a lot of shots! I tried some ultra low speeds as well but they were disastrous. Practice makes perfect so they say, so I need to get out more for panning practice! Ordering my tickets for RIAT this week :)

Back