Critique

My 2p - there are 2 types of posters, not just on here, I see the same elsewhere, in that they either welcome and accept critique, see it for what it is (i.e. suggestions on how to improve or reinforce the good points to a shot), take on board the parts they believe are relevant to them and utilise that new information in there future work.

These people tend to be quite easy to spot - they're the ones posting high quality work.

The other group just want the smoke up the jacksie and look for reasons to disagree or claim its too difficult to put the suggestions to use - i.e. on the bird forum you'll comment that a blue tits head is facing away from the camera and weakening the shot, and you'll invariably get a reply along the lines go 'oh, I'll ask it to pose better next time should I, it's wildlife it doesn't pose to order' or something similar. Surely a better response would be something along the lines of 'I see what you mean, its a common bird, I can go back for another go and I'll know what to aim for next time'.

This group are also fairly easy to spot as they produce the same shots they were shooting 2 years ago.

I fully accept my own style of crit isn't to everybody taste but I can honestly say I've never intended to upset anyone with my crit, but it does make me smile when people get defensive and offer excuses - even more so when its not the OP who has a whinge.

What crit is given in the sections I look at on here is very 'softly softly' compared to other forums, I honestly can't see why people throw their teddies out, we seem to be evolving into a nation of snowflakes, but each to their own.

Such a shame people stop posting because they don't like the responses to their shots - maybe try posting again, get the forums back up to speed and move into the first group I mentioned - what is there to lose, after all we're mainly a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet!

Mike

Last edited:
I wish that I had not started reading this thread. I have been an enthusiastic participant and I was really enjoying taking part. I now find however that I am being held back from making comments because of how they might be received and how I would be labelled. I would like to thank all who have helped me to further my photographic experience. Although I will stay a registered member and may hover from time to time, the pc brigade have spoiled my enjoyment and I will no longer be posting or take part.:(

One reason I’ve not posted as many this year is the iPad and Flickr I find a nightmare to get the BB code from and once my images are uploaded to Flickr my laptop is shutdown and put away, I’d appreciate people’s experience in. Posting images from Flickr to here with iPad?

The change to highlighting and copying the BB code on the flicker website has been a right pain. I've got around it by using the Photo Explorer app. It's a paid for app but it's so much better than the flickr website. It used to be called flickr stacker until Apple decided to pull the their app from the App Store. They now have it back up with upgrades and a new name.

The change to highlighting and copying the BB code on the flicker website has been a right pain. I've got around it by using the Photo Explorer app. It's a paid for app but it's so much better than the flickr website. It used to be called flickr stacker until Apple decided to pull the their app from the App Store. They now have it back up with upgrades and a new name.
Thanks Rob everyone used to say Flickr stacker and I could never find it so appreciate your reply

Thanks Rob everyone used to say Flickr stacker and I could never find it so appreciate your reply
If you bought Flickr Stacker prior to the App Store deletes it its still possible to use, until you change ipads like I did and couldnt download it to the new iPad. I then found couldn't find Flickr stacks until i found out it had been renamed. The new app is great, I've linked my drop box account to it so I can store the images to be uploaded in there before uploading directly from Photo Explorer. It saves only being able to upload whilst on the computer.

I wish that I had not started reading this thread. I have been an enthusiastic participant and I was really enjoying taking part. I now find however that I am being held back from making comments because of how they might be received and how I would be labelled. I would like to thank all who have helped me to further my photographic experience. Although I will stay a registered member and may hover from time to time, the pc brigade have spoiled my enjoyment and I will no longer be posting or take part.:(

I hope that you reconsider Charles, TP is for everyone including those who take photographs of birds.
Opinionated people who feel that their way is the only way is one reason why many have sadly left the forum ... there is room for all abilities here including those who don't want to be forced to change their fun hobby into an examination in composition or whatever.
Stick around and post your photos together with others who post their photos, benefit from those who may politely point out ways to improve if you want to but pay no attention to the opinionated or those who just criticise or make negative comments often without ever posting photos themselves.

If you bought Flickr Stacker prior to the App Store deletes it its still possible to use, until you change ipads like I did and couldnt download it to the new iPad. I then found couldn't find Flickr stacks until i found out it had been renamed. The new app is great, I've linked my drop box account to it so I can store the images to be uploaded in there before uploading directly from Photo Explorer. It saves only being able to upload whilst on the computer.
I like the sound of that Rob will check it out later

charlie I have to add to rogers daniels posts please continue here, please reconsider the above . Nobody should give up their enjoyment because of concerns over critique

crit is meant to be a learning experience for both parties it should be done politely and with care sure after all it is one good soul trying to help another.

I've never really been able to get why crit is seen as something that can upset someone,it's just another's opinion no more no less. For me it's been a great leaning curve tool both giving and receiving,and it doesn't really matter how much ability the guy or gal critiqing has they still might be aware of something I'm not.

It's sort of sad that this aspect of a forum about making images is not more widely used here. It needs to be honest sure but as previously said no one learns jack **** from nice shot but they can learn from crit if wanted. Mind one has to be open to learning.

There is a lot of sadness really reading this thread we are for the large part adults of all ranges of ability we all have a common interest this really should be about fun for most it is a hobby but even if one turns pro that joy of what we try to do shouldn't be lost (essentially I can't see a pro whom doesn't love what he does especially nature making the grade for long without a deep hunger to do what they do) Many want to share that enthusiasm with the next guy trying to make his way,surely all this is stuff to be cherished??

I've had a huge amount of help here from honest crit i'm unsure if anyone has ever tried to have a pop at me personally. Maybe,some crit has been hard to take,but almost every time it has been something to take on board.

I've been told words to the effect of.............. sorry mate but best bin that go back have another go ....when that is accompanied by the reasons the image isn't up to par and maybe even tips how to do better ,it is maybe hard to take. But it is also damn inspiring for next time and also a massive help in the quest to get the image i'd like to take. Nice shot would just leave me thinking I'm there when I know damn well i've miles to go Unless one is incredibly hyper self critical which I suppose we all should be a bit of honest help is going to move one forwards way faster than on one's lonesome

I fink that's me two pennth do remember folks We need honesty with out crit for each other....................... that honesty don't mean someone is taking a pop at ya though;)

belucky all

stu

lads a little thank you,

folks of a common interest sayin ' what about this MY FRIEND,tis all it is

but it is a real tool to all help each other be better

we need to use this more here,it's just a buddy saying what about this mate

I stress the friendship, we are like minded souls

it's a good place to come from the view of my mate sees something I don't I should try that

sorry too battered for eng lang

Chris ,sorry I know i waffle:D

seeya

charlie I have to add to rogers daniels posts please continue here, please reconsider the above . Nobody should give up their enjoyment because of concerns over critique

crit is meant to be a learning experience for both parties it should be done politely and with care sure after all it is one good soul trying to help another.

I've never really been able to get why crit is seen as something that can upset someone,it's just another's opinion no more no less. For me it's been a great leaning curve tool both giving and receiving,and it doesn't really matter how much ability the guy or gal critiqing has they still might be aware of something I'm not.

It's sort of sad that this aspect of a forum about making images is not more widely used here. It needs to be honest sure but as previously said no one learns jack **** from nice shot but they can learn from crit if wanted. Mind one has to be open to learning.

There is a lot of sadness really reading this thread we are for the large part adults of all ranges of ability we all have a common interest this really should be about fun for most it is a hobby but even if one turns pro that joy of what we try to do shouldn't be lost (essentially I can't see a pro whom doesn't love what he does especially nature making the grade for long without a deep hunger to do what they do) Many want to share that enthusiasm with the next guy trying to make his way,surely all this is stuff to be cherished??

I've had a huge amount of help here from honest crit i'm unsure if anyone has ever tried to have a pop at me personally. Maybe,some crit has been hard to take,but almost every time it has been something to take on board.

I've been told words to the effect of.............. sorry mate but best bin that go back have another go ....when that is accompanied by the reasons the image isn't up to par and maybe even tips how to do better ,it is maybe hard to take. But it is also damn inspiring for next time and also a massive help in the quest to get the image i'd like to take. Nice shot would just leave me thinking I'm there when I know damn well i've miles to go Unless one is incredibly hyper self critical which I suppose we all should be a bit of honest help is going to move one forwards way faster than on one's lonesome

I fink that's me two pennth do remember folks We need honesty with out crit for each other....................... that honesty don't mean someone is taking a pop at ya though;)

belucky all

stu

Thanks for the great post Stu, I use to hate getting crit as if I liked a shot of mine then so should most folk. Now that I have put some crit on others photos I can see where members come from on the crit for my shots, we all learn from others on a forum and it is nice to get good feedback, when we do nail a shot. @charlychuckchuck stay and enjoy the forum as imo most members are very good, plus I remember when you sent me a PM ages ago to say, Thank you for one of my posts as it cheered you up, it cheered me up to read that from you :) So stay and enjoy :)

Thanks for the great post Stu, I use to hate getting crit as if I liked a shot of mine then so should most folk. Now that I have put some crit on others photos I can see where members come from on the crit for my shots, we all learn from others on a forum and it is nice to get good feedback, when we do nail a shot. @charlychuckchuck stay and enjoy the forum as imo most members are very good, plus I remember when you sent me a PM ages ago to say, Thank you for one of my posts as it cheered you up, it cheered me up to read that from you :) So stay and enjoy :)

Cheers Dave,in a way it's a shame it is called critique folks mix it up with somebody critising them personally and it isn't it's one guy helping another, with their thoughts about an image. We need so much more of this here.

take care kiddo

stu

Anyone feel free to give me constructive help.i am learning and i welcome any help.why wouldnt one if one wishes to improve their photography.

why wouldnt one if one wishes to improve their photography.
Depends on the constructive ability of the one giving the help for one thing ... e.g. I know I don't have all the answers and ability so I don't insist that my way is right and I know that others have a right to their preferences so I don't think that everyone should follow my way and get upset when they don't.
If/when I try to give constructive help I will try to find something I like and point out where I might do it differently, what the person chooses to do or not do with that is entirely up to them and what I suggest will not be the only right way.
Compare a Lowry painting with a Constable, entirely different but both considered masterpieces ... artistic expression has its place in photography.

artistic expression has its place in photography.

Ooohh careful... that's getting dangerously close to yet another contentious topic ;)

(I wholeheartedly agree BTW, I just don't want the thread to end up as a "Artists vs Philistines" slanging match...)

Anyone feel free to give me constructive help.i am learning and i welcome any help.why wouldnt one if one wishes to improve their photography.

I'd help ya bro,but I have a hunch you might help me more than I you :oops: :$, On a serious note mate it is hard if ya know you ain't the bees knees and want to give a bit back for kindness shown.

I agree with me old mate above and that's the point it isn't one way is right................... it is about saying what about this mate? A question rather than a command

and finally
Ooohh careful... that's getting dangerously close to yet another contentious topic ;)

(I wholeheartedly agree BTW, I just don't want the thread to end up as a "Artists vs Philistines" slanging match...)
Don't worry Mark no artists here we'll be fine bro:eek::D sorry had to:D:rolleyes:

stu

I've said this before but an OP very rarely knows the photographic experience of those that are adding crit. If it comes from someone with little experience themselves it may not be particularly valid; but who's to know?

Another point is that individual images may not be entirely stunning in themselves, but when seen with a series of 10 or 20 others in a similar vein it may take on added significance.

Back