Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Little background before you go into it.

I'm an aspiring automotive & motorsport freelance photographer, I've created a website but would really like some people to give their opinions on it. I only have Wix free hosting at the moment as I don't want to waste the money to host some trashy looking website and not get anything from it.

Would really appreciate it if you could let me know what I've done right and what I could improve on

**EDIT**
I've unpublished my site for the meantime so that I can give it some proper TLC, thank you to all who contributed to this post

Thanks

Last edited:
Okay here are my points.

1. I hate going to a website and then having to click a button to "enter the website"
2. You say above that you are an aspiring automotive photographer and you website immediately says to me that you photograph cars. So why do you have a wildlife section in your portfolios?
3. Recent Shoots at the bottom of the home page do nothing. I expect to be able to click into them to view more images of that shoot.
4. You have some Out of focus images in your portfolio. A portfolios should show off your best images not all of them.
5, Ca you get rid of the "This site was designed with the Wix.com website builder" message at the top?

Yep... having to refresh each page. In other words navigating the site is a nightmare,sorry... certainly does not tempt one to stay

The menus seem to act a bit strange too.

As a whole there is a lot of troubleshooting and maybe proofing the site on different browsers.

Oh... I could only see one image of a Mercedes-Benz :p :exit:

I think spell checking would be good as well, I couldn't get any of the links/recent shots at the bottom of the welcome page to open either, some good content but just needs polishing.

Rightly suggested avoid enter the website option that takes of the interest to look whats inside.

Rightly suggested avoid enter the website option that takes of the interest to look whats inside.

I wouldn't bother. A few people looked as this site on Friday and the OP hasn't even had the common decency to come back and thank people for taking the time out of their day to look at his site and provide the critique requested.

Some people are just plain rude!!

Wix is useless. It does give you free sites but then adds its ads which look disgusting. If you're looking forward to becoming a professional photographer, you should indeed show professionalism. Go with a better website. Pixpa, Squarespace and Format are a few to start with. Create the navigation in a way that it becomes easy for the client to navigate. All of your pages should take maximum to clicks to reach.
In the end, every image's link is non clickable. You need to make sure that every part of your website can be navigated easily and has a great user interface.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to look at my website. I'd firstly like to apologise for not being able to get back on here sooner, I do have a fulltime job and have just been busy this past week. As some people may have thought I am definitely not ignoring you I simply have not had the time to come back and look at this site.
Okay here are my points.

1. I hate going to a website and then having to click a button to "enter the website"
2. You say above that you are an aspiring automotive photographer and you website immediately says to me that you photograph cars. So why do you have a wildlife section in your portfolios?
3. Recent Shoots at the bottom of the home page do nothing. I expect to be able to click into them to view more images of that shoot.
4. You have some Out of focus images in your portfolio. A portfolios should show off your best images not all of them.
5, Ca you get rid of the "This site was designed with the Wix.com website builder" message at the top?

I think spell checking would be good as well, I couldn't get any of the links/recent shots at the bottom of the welcome page to open either, some good content but just needs polishing.

Wix is useless. It does give you free sites but then adds its ads which look disgusting. If you're looking forward to becoming a professional photographer, you should indeed show professionalism. Go with a better website. Pixpa, Squarespace and Format are a few to start with. Create the navigation in a way that it becomes easy for the client to navigate. All of your pages should take maximum to clicks to reach.
In the end, every image's link is non clickable. You need to make sure that every part of your website can be navigated easily and has a great user interface.

ecoleman - 1. Noted, I had this on but was always unsure whether it had the intended effect, you, along with a few others, have made it clear that it is an unnecessary page on the site
2. If you read the "My Story" page you'll see that my side passion is Wildlife photography, this is just on the site to give a better sense of who I am and I intend to keep it on the site, perhaps you could suggest a better place to put this?
3. The recent shoots have been troublesome ever since I created that part of the page, I have fixed numerous times and at this point I am just resigned to the fact that it won't work on WIX so I will be getting rid of that section.
4. I am still early in the journey of photography so the IQ will slowly improve. I'll make sure to double check the photos on there and remove the out of focus ones.
5. Unfortunately not, this is a bonus for not paying for WIX, as said in my OP, I don't want to pay for something that isn't near perfect and worth having, hence why I've asked for some critiques and reviews of my site.

TVRTim - I do have grammarly installed and I do read through things mutliple times before I'm happy but it is quite possible I have still missed some errors, would you be able to point some of these out? it would be greatly appreciated.

Olivia Green - I have got the general consensus that WIX is indeed not very suitable for photographers, and kind of know it myself, but as per OP, I'm reluctant in paying for a service for a site I haven't created well, so eventually I will move onto a better provider, I've created on WIX to get an idea of the sort of site I want to create.
You also mention about the navigation needing improvement. Would you be able to offer some tips.

It also seems that most of the comments have been having trouble loading the site on browsers other than Chrome, while I have tried on safari (on iPhone) I haven't tried other browsers, but I fear there isn't much I can do about it on WIX, which further solidifies the need to switch to a different site server.

Thanks everyone who has commented, it is much appreciated and I will be taking everything into account that you have said!

Hi Tom,
Your navigation wasn't very intuitive. For example, you have 3 sub-categories in Portfolio however Recent Shoots being another category was only available on the homepage. Suppose someone lands on one of your sub-categories in Portfolio, he wouldn't be able to know about Recent Shoots until he sees it on the home page. A better navigation could be:
Home
Portfolio -> Motorsport, Wildlife ......
Recent Shoots-> Ford, BSB .....
About
Contact
What I mean here is every page on your website should be easy available to allow user to navigate easily within the website. Hope you get the point.

Hi Tom,
Your navigation wasn't very intuitive. For example, you have 3 sub-categories in Portfolio however Recent Shoots being another category was only available on the homepage. Suppose someone lands on one of your sub-categories in Portfolio, he wouldn't be able to know about Recent Shoots until he sees it on the home page. A better navigation could be:
Home
Portfolio -> Motorsport, Wildlife ......
Recent Shoots-> Ford, BSB .....
About
Contact
What I mean here is every page on your website should be easy available to allow user to navigate easily within the website. Hope you get the point.

Thank you for the advice, I never thought of it like that but it does make perfect sense. Every page should be accessible from the next. Thank you for explaining further

We Looked Everywhere
For This Page!

(Error 404)

But maybe we can still help you find
what you're looking for:

I’ve just built a business site with wix (non photog) but paid for the premium service and it’s been great.

I’ve also just finished a photog site but with smugmug. Again I paid but it’s not hugely expensive £50/year maybe. Smugmug was very easy to build a great looking portfolio.

I've not seen your site so commenting only from reading the comments already posted but...
2. If you read the "My Story" page you'll see that my side passion is Wildlife photography, this is just on the site to give a better sense of who I am and I intend to keep it on the site, perhaps you could suggest a better place to put this?
Assuming that you are focussing on Motorsports and want that to be a "professional" side, then I would make sure that is front and centre. Your headline points should concentrate on those - perhaps even moving your "recent shoots" to the front in an ever updating showcase.

THEN, as a separate section of the website, have your personal story - the "My Story" page along with "Other work" page(s).

Perhaps (and as I say I'm imagining your site) have on the home page the banner:
My Portfolio (in sections but exclusively Motorsports)
About Me / My Story
Other Photographic Work (again in sections but non-Motorsports)
Contact.​

PS. I would say free hosting is find *at this point* ... but make sure the service you are trying for free have a good paid for hosting options as you don't want to be moving it all to another site later when you find out the site you chose is no good!

Last edited:
If you have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription you can build a free website with Adobe Portfolio. They're quite basic and don't allow too much customisation but they're fine for getting a selection of your best work out there, and it's free. Mine is quite bare-bones but it gets the job done and puts my images front and centre, which is what it's all about. I've had a couple of enquiries via the site so it must do something right. Link is in my signature if you want a look, it took me no more than half an hour to put together.

If you have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription you can build a free website with Adobe Portfolio. They're quite basic and don't allow too much customisation but they're fine for getting a selection of your best work out there, and it's free. Mine is quite bare-bones but it gets the job done and puts my images front and centre, which is what it's all about. I've had a couple of enquiries via the site so it must do something right. Link is in my signature if you want a look, it took me no more than half an hour to put together.
I love the look of that, simple but effective. I have been doing some research the past couple of days and noticed many photographers go with a simplistic look. I've been enjoying looking at them when they are simple and when I do find a more advanced site I tended not to spend as much time actually looking at their photos, which has made me realise simplicity is more important than having a fancy looking website. I think I've put too much emphasis on the design of my site that it takes away from the photos. Thanks for sharing!

I love the look of that, simple but effective. I have been doing some research the past couple of days and noticed many photographers go with a simplistic look. I've been enjoying looking at them when they are simple and when I do find a more advanced site I tended not to spend as much time actually looking at their photos, which has made me realise simplicity is more important than having a fancy looking website. I think I've put too much emphasis on the design of my site that it takes away from the photos. Thanks for sharing!

It's all about the images at the end of the day. A fancy website is all well and good but if you don't know how to build one (which I don't) then something simple is the way forward. Getting the images up is super easy too as long as you have them synced with Lightroom Mobile, you can just grab them directly from the website builder. The only thing that annoys me is there's not really much customisation of the gallery pages at all. But if you look at some of the examples on the Adobe Portfolio website, people have built some great looking sites on the platform. Obviously I'm assuming you have a Creative Cloud subscription here but if you don't it's well worth a tenner a month.

It's all about the images at the end of the day. A fancy website is all well and good but if you don't know how to build one (which I don't) then something simple is the way forward. Getting the images up is super easy too as long as you have them synced with Lightroom Mobile, you can just grab them directly from the website builder. The only thing that annoys me is there's not really much customisation of the gallery pages at all. But if you look at some of the examples on the Adobe Portfolio website, people have built some great looking sites on the platform. Obviously I'm assuming you have a Creative Cloud subscription here but if you don't it's well worth a tenner a month.
I do indeed, though I'm not using the full extent of it! I'm still very much a beginner on Lr and only discovered about 4 months ago that having subscription to Adobe doesn't limit me to just Lightroom, I thought I was just paying for that, then I discovered the powers of Photoshop. Maybe the Portfolio is my next step in Adobe discovery!

Back