weekly crtm's 52 in 2014 Week 38 Dark added

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Hi Carol, Good start here.. plenty to like about this, the square on view, leaving the foreground stones and background trees to create the depth, very nice B&W conversion, nice and light on the church and grass, with a good sky beyond.

Like how you have the cross peeking through a gap in the trees, and also that there's no overlap between the church and the front stones.

Tenuous link? Maybe... (You'll fit in well round here.. ;).)

Hi Overbez thanks for your comment, yes I too think the link to "Rich" is perhaps a bit tenuous but it's the best I could come up with.....sorry. :D

I do hope I fit in well, now I need to find a subject to take that fits in with "Skill"! Tenuous might well be used quite often in my thread! :rolleyes:

Hello and welcome to the 52 section, looks like your off to a flying start cracking image, really like the black and white conversion on this. I look forward to the rest of your thread good luck with the challenge.

Hello and welcome to the 52 section, looks like your off to a flying start cracking image, really like the black and white conversion on this. I look forward to the rest of your thread good luck with the challenge.

Hi Mandy thanks for your comments and I hope I can keep up the demands of producing an image a week within the theme or at least loosely related to it. :naughty:

Grrr... I was going to do a guitar type shot! (I may still do).
Classical guitar certainly is a skill, so fitting for the theme. I think the mono conversion improves this shot but I think it's a shame about the background (I never thought I'd turn in to a person that says that!)

Grrr... I was going to do a guitar type shot! (I may still do).
Classical guitar certainly is a skill, so fitting for the theme. I think the mono conversion improves this shot but I think it's a shame about the background (I never thought I'd turn in to a person that says that!)

Hay Simon thats ok I don't mind, unfortunately the background is what it is a shop front as this guy was a street performer and very good one at that.

Hi Carol....sorry I didn't pop in last week .... a belated welcome, I'm sure you will enjoy the thread. I like the shot for rich...really nicely framed and the b/w it suits it well, I also like the sky, it adds a sense of life to the scene, when everything else is so still o_O If you see what I mean !

Good choice too for skill.... I think the last two themes have been difficult ... we shall see what today brings.

Hi Susie and Colin thanks for the welcome and comments ;) I am so looking forward to the next theme lets hope it something I can portray in a photograph without too much hassle. :)

This is the "Other Half" best I could come up with as I don't think I will be able to do much photography this week coming. I took this while on a weekend away on the West Coast the backdrop is that all famous castle Eilean Donan.
View attachment 16747

Last edited:
Hi Carol, welcome aboard you must be crazy
Rich a little tenuous it might be said but we are all guilty of that
Skill, definitely a skill and a good capture, not worried by the BG as you say he's a street performer that is what I would expect
Half, I like that nicely composed nothing to crit there (y)

... not my type! but the composition and the detail of the bridge and the castle is spot on ... that sky too ... (y)

HI Carol & a belated welcome to the madhouse :wave:

Half....certainly on theme , well composed,well exposed & plenty of detail.....(y)

Skill.....mono suits to help hide the bg a touch but maybe needs a little boost of contrast ? Could just be my screen of course in which case feel free to ignore me :exit:

Rich........slightly tenuous link but then we've all had those this year :rolleyes: Good conversion, spot on focus & detail in the sky (y) Not so keen on the head on pov though...that is definitely a personal thing though so again , feel free to ignore me :)

Skill - Good composition, like the expression on the guitarists face and I agree it certainly does take some skill to play the guitar well.

Half - Beautiful location for that photo, I think the image is nice and bright and very well exposed and fits the theme.

Thanks everyone for your feedback........

Allan - Yes I am crazy!:LOL:
Susie - It is a beautiful location and btw my OH says thankyou. ;)
David - Thank you and I am sure glad hes not your type!
Lynne - Thanks, perhaps you're right re contrast will add a little to see what it looks like as for "Rich" I knew it was a bit tenuous but could not do anything else as was so busy. The POV had to be like that as the front was nothing special and the side view had a lot more going for it believe it or not.:D
Mandy - Thanks as I said the location is beautiful and I think it is one of the most photographed castles in Scotland.

Hi Carol
Skill - Love this shot. The exposure is great especially as he is wearing a cap and his face must have been in shadow from that, well done.
Half, looks good too. Amazing background.

Thanks Richard.

Welcome Carol - I joined late too, so it's always good to see more join the fold!

Rich - you're allowed a crowbar on your first shot ;) Really nice picture, good detail and the conversion adds to the image... super start.
Skill - great take and good "street" shot. The patio door (or whatever it is) is a touch distracting, but a minor point. Great shot and well on theme
Half - we were up that way at the weekend climbing and canoeing. Nice picture of a great background and although it's a bit of an "album photo" it's well taken. Despite shooting towards the sun, you've got plenty of detail in your hubbie's face and the castle stands out well. I love the sky.

Building Blocks - I took this while we were on holiday in Canada last year which I have only just processed because of the theme for this weeks 52s.

It is a photograph of Toronto from a CN Tower window.

View attachment 17562

EDITED

Last edited:
Carol, your link in the main thread is for Greengo's 52 not yours :confused:

I can see why you've used an archive shot, it fits the theme perfectly - viewing lots of architectural structures through another one. My only crit would be that I think the light/contrast could do with a little tweak to make the wall around the window less obvious and add a bit more oomph to the buildings to make them pop out more.

Hi
Carol, your link in the main thread is for Greengo's 52 not yours :confused:

I can see why you've used an archive shot, it fits the theme perfectly - viewing lots of architectural structures through another one. My only crit would be that I think the light/contrast could do with a little tweak to make the wall around the window less obvious and add a bit more oomph to the buildings to make them pop out more.

Hi Elaine all fixed thanks. (y)

Thanks for your cc will see what I can do regard he wall.:)

Elaine it is now edited - darkened the circular walls slightly and brightened and clarified the buildings.

Last edited:
Hi Carol

That's a super shot. I really like it and it's a good take on the theme. Focus appears crisp on the buildings, I like your conversion and exposure suits the style for me. I'd probably like to see the tops of the two buildings TL of the window, but that's a very minor point.

When viewed full size, it really feels like you're standing next to that window peering down... Good job!

I like it.

If you created that round window yourself Carol, as I'm guessing you did ... it works well.

Hi Carol - Arhcitecture - Great shot. I love the detail you have captured, very sharp. Great job.

Hi Carol
Never too late to start.
Rich - on theme for me and I really like the comp and the crop.
Skill - good capture and contact with the subject. B/g has been mentioned but you can only work with what you have got.
Half - not half bad! good to see that your camera has one of those colour buttons :) i like the balance of the comp - and your model obviously knows how to turn side to the camera and drop the hip. (y)
Architecture - works well for the theme. I like the contrast between the rectangular buildings and the circle thro which viewed, which itself is an architectural feature. B&W works too. Gong to Toronto myself in about 6 weeks so know what to look for now:)

I like it.

If you created that round window yourself Carol, as I'm guessing you did ... it works well.

Hi David it really is a window the photograph is taken from the CN Tower, there is a couple of these round windows within the building.

Thanks for all your very positive comments, slowly working my way through all of yours!;)

Hi Carol, welcome to the '52 :) Apologies, it's my first visit to your thread, I've been very slack the last few months :oops: :$

Some great images so far, but the stand out for me is your 'architectural' shot :clap: I love the idea, pov looking down through a widow! :eek: ( I had to google the CN Tower just to get a perspective of how high you actually were :D) detail looks good and the window surround really adds to the image (y)

I know, when clicked, it enlarges but was a little disappointed that I can see it on you flickr and view it massive, I felt that I could have spent ages looking at all the detail in the building and streets below :)

Hi Carol, welcome to the '52 :) Apologies, it's my first visit to your thread, I've been very slack the last few months :oops: :$

I know, when clicked, it enlarges but was a little disappointed that I can see it on you flickr and view it massive, I felt that I could have spent ages looking at all the detail in the building and streets below :)

Hi Phil-D

No worries re being late on commenting, I find it quite difficult finding the time to get around to commenting on 52s. Not entirely sure I will managing to keep up with the commitment to comment on everyone's photographs, but hay I will try my best all be it I am late!!

Thanks for taking the time to view my thread and give such positive feedback it is appreciated.

Regard the size I keep the photographs in the thread smaller so as not to take up space, they are sized at 1200 pixels long edge. I am almost sure I saw something on the forum somewhere asking to keep the size down so as not to use the forum bandwidth.

Hi Carol - still with us??

Great shot of Mr crtm there with the castle in the BG. Can;t fault that at all.

Love your architecture. that round window really adds to the image, so much more that trying to get the shot through the window itself would.

Hi Carol - still with us??

Great shot of Mr crtm there with the castle in the BG. Can;t fault that at all.

Love your architecture. that round window really adds to the image, so much more that trying to get the shot through the window itself would.

Hi Overbez to be honest no I am not, I help organise a rather large event here in the village where I live. It takes up almost all of my free time in the 3 weeks leading up to the event but we are almost there as the event is on this Saturday coming (30th). Once it's over normal life will resume and that includes returning to TP and all it delights. Thanks for your comments on "Half" and "Architecture" it is appreciated that you and Susiejb have taken the time to look and comment on my thread.

I might get a chance to take some photographs at the event and with some luck something relevant to the 52 themes. Anyway as Arnie famously said "I'll be back.........soon".

Back