D500

You can mix and match - when I tested I had Lexar in XQD and my Sandisk in SD.
Thanks (y)

Just had a look at prices, £150 for 128GB, that's eye watering :eek:

They are not cheap! I wonder what the D760 will use if its coming!
Dunno, as the D750 is a 'prosumer' body, as will the D760 be. Wouldn't surprise me if it's SD, whilst the D820 is XQD and SD. I'm not sure they'll need XQD for the frame rate, but the D820 might so due to image file size.

Unless you need mega-fast speed you simply don't need the most expensive XQD cards ... I have a 1400x Lexar alongside a Sandisk 95Mb/s UHS-1 and I couldn't run them out even at my fastest (though I have never been a machine-gunner). The XQD card is very slightly longer than a CF card and about 2/3rds of the width and you can use the camera with either or both cards present.
The one thing that you will notice is that the images have a much coarser (grainier) appearance than many other cameras (D810, D7200 and I'm sure the D750) ... light requirements and exposure care is much more critical in my experience of using the D500.

Unless you need mega-fast speed you simply don't need the most expensive XQD cards ... I have a 1400x Lexar alongside a Sandisk 95Mb/s UHS-1 and I couldn't run them out even at my fastest (though I have never been a machine-gunner). The XQD card is very slightly longer than a CF card and about 2/3rds of the width and you can use the camera with either or both cards present.
The one thing that you will notice is that the images have a much coarser (grainier) appearance than many other cameras (D810, D7200 and I'm sure the D750) ... light requirements and exposure care is much more critical in my experience of using the D500.
Thanks for the info on the card speed. I'm surprised to hear that the D500 is coarser than the D810 as neither have an AA filter. It doesn't surprise me that it's coarser than the D750 though as that does have the AA filter and always needs some sharpening. What do you think it is about the D500 then if it's not the filter?

Thanks for the info on the card speed. I'm surprised to hear that the D500 is coarser than the D810 as neither have an AA filter. It doesn't surprise me that it's coarser than the D750 though as that does have the AA filter and always needs some sharpening. What do you think it is about the D500 then if it's not the filter?
I'm not sure you understand my thinking, my D810 & D7200 files were generally much cleaner than the D500 ... grainy noise is produced in the files unless light/exposure is very good. It can be helped considerably in processing but I generally find that I can spot a D500 image ... I'm talking shooting outside not studio here. I see it as a trade-off for the speed and AF which will hopefully be addressed in future versions.

I had a 7200 for a short while. I much prefer the 500's noise.
Both are are crop cameras so you get more noise than 750 & 810.

I had a 7200 for a short while. I much prefer the 500's noise.
Both are are crop cameras so you get more noise than 750 & 810.
I get a cleaner image from a D700 so yes FX is cleaner ... D7200 noise is different and not generally so 'even' as the D500 but my experience was that it could be cleaned up pretty well. The D500 noise is a regular pattern of grain and it can clean up but the images almost always have a grainy appearance, under less than ideal outside conditions (wildlife in the UK) a subject may be very well captured, AF-wise, but unusable.

I'm not sure you understand my thinking, my D810 & D7200 files were generally much cleaner than the D500 ... grainy noise is produced in the files unless light/exposure is very good. It can be helped considerably in processing but I generally find that I can spot a D500 image ... I'm talking shooting outside not studio here. I see it as a trade-off for the speed and AF which will hopefully be addressed in future versions.
Ahh right, you meant noisier. Well that's a given over the D750 and D810 but I'm surprised about the D7200. Everything I've seen to date says it's better than the D7200, but it's a worry if not as I didn't particularly rate the D7200 in terms of noise.

Ahh right, you meant noisier. Well that's a given over the D750 and D810 but I'm surprised about the D7200. Everything I've seen to date says it's better than the D7200, but it's a worry if not as I didn't particularly rate the D7200 in terms of noise.
I guess it depends on what you are using it for ... I've taken some great (to me) images with the D7200 but generally these have always been cleaner than my good D500 images. Here's one from yesterday, dull conditions, testing with a crop from a 500 f4 + TC 1.7 E-II (ISO 5600) but look at the background ... do you see what I mean?

View attachment 98363

I guess it depends on what you are using it for ... I've taken some great (to me) images with the D7200 but generally these have always been cleaner than my good D500 images. Here's one from yesterday, dull conditions, testing with a crop from a 500 f4 + TC 1.7 E-II (ISO 5600) but look at the background ... do you see what I mean?

View attachment 98363
Yeah, I see what you mean :(

I'm maxing my Auto ISO at 3200 and I find this is about the best for me in the current poor weather conditions. I also shoot through the kitchen door double glazing, so that's probably not helping things.

A couple of pics at ISO 3200, 2800 & 1600, there's noise there but I think as a photo it stands up pretty well IMO, compared to my D810 and previous D750 when I look back at my photos. I mentioned yesterday on the D750 thread, I have really enjoyed using this camera and have racked up nearly 10k actuation's in the few months I have owned it. Never used any other camera as much as that and I have owned a few! ....Also, I find it a huge improvement over my last DX camera the D7100

@snerkler go for it as she's given the nod;) and I think you will find it complements a FF camera nicely. To be 100% honest, this is probably enough for my needs and my D810 isn't getting much use.

Male Bullfinch with foot problems. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Goldfinch by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Think my trouble would be that at times im shooting at 10,000 iso on the D750 and still getting pretty clean images. In a perfect world I would own both!

Think my trouble would be that at times im shooting at 10,000 iso on the D750 and still getting pretty clean images. In a perfect world I would own both!

It depends on the subject, light etc.... as you know. If you go back in the thread @rookies has put up photos at ISO 9,000, 10,000 IIRC, under poor light in his living room and they have stood up well.

Doesn't your misses have a D750 also?....would it make sense for you to have the option of both for your horse photography?

Last edited:
I'm maxing my Auto ISO at 3200 and I find this is about the best for me in the current poor weather conditions. I also shoot through the kitchen door double glazing, so that's probably not helping things.

A couple of pics at ISO 3200, 2800 & 1600, there's noise there but I think as a photo it stands up pretty well IMO, compared to my D810 and previous D750 when I look back at my photos. I mentioned yesterday on the D750 thread, I have really enjoyed using this camera and have racked up nearly 10k actuation's in the few months I have owned it. Never used any other camera as much as that and I have owned a few! ....Also, I find it a huge improvement over my last DX camera the D7100

@snerkler go for it as she's given the nod;) and I think you will find it complements a FF camera nicely. To be 100% honest, this is probably enough for my needs and my D810 isn't getting much use.

Male Bullfinch with foot problems. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Nice pics. Are these cropped and have they had any NR applied?

NExt question is do I buy as new UK used, or grey new. They're the same price but there's pros for both. Obviously it's nice to have new and shiny but I feel that I'll lose less when I inevitably sell it on. Plus I know some shops are sketchy about taking grey's in if I decide to trade in.

It depends on the subject, light etc.... as you know. If you go back in the thread @rookies has put up photos at ISO 9,000, 10,000 IIRC, under poor light in his living room and they have stood up well.

Doesn't your misses have a D750 also?....would it make sense for you to have the option of both for your horse photography?

Thats going soon - so unfortunatly we will be a 1 body family!

You can use any make of SD (or XQD) card. With the XQD card you may be able to do 10fps for 200 images. :eek: The fastest SD cards will give about a 70 image buffer, and that is RAW files, which is about 7 seconds at 10fps, which is enough for most people. :) JPEG should yield more images in a burst.

You don't 'need' a card reader for transferring images, but it does use a lot of power when transferring images from the camera to computer, even though it is pretty quick because it is a USB 3 connection on the camera.

Nice pics. Are these cropped and have they had any NR applied?

NExt question is do I buy as new UK used, or grey new. They're the same price but there's pros for both. Obviously it's nice to have new and shiny but I feel that I'll lose less when I inevitably sell it on. Plus I know some shops are sketchy about taking grey's in if I decide to trade in.

Yes all cropped, you can work out the maths out, not huge crops though!

I believe the native size for the D500 is 5568 x 3712. I only use LR and there NR, and the numbers from the sliders are also below.

1st is : 3515 x 3200
NR 13

2nd is: 2688 x 2642
NR 12

3rd is: 3803 x 3497
NR15

As for where to buy............Depends if buying with the 16-80mm kit lens. I wanted to buy with the kit from Panamoz or HDEW and they were both out of stock and couldn't give me delivery times. As I had been messed about by a company who had problems with there supplier for a Tamron 15-30mm and Nikon 70-200mm lenses for my D810, they give me a very good discount so I bought UK with the Sigma 18-35mm but the lens was too heavy for me without VR for a walkabout lens, so I returned and bought a Sigma 17-70mm, which I wasn't overly impressed with. I have now bought the AFP 18-55mm for the amount of times I will use the wide end, as the Sigma 150-600mm C is bolted to the front of the body now.

As for trading on, the only company I have found not to want grey is MPB and if you plan to keep for a few years, will it make much difference to the market price at time of selling?

Last edited:
Yes all cropped, you can work out the maths out, not huge crops though!

I believe the native size for the D500 is 5568 x 3712. I only use LR and there NR, and the numbers from the sliders are also below.

1st is : 3515 x 3200
NR 13

2nd is: 2688 x 2642
NR 12

3rd is: 3803 x 3497
NR15

As for where to buy............Depends if buying with the 16-80mm kit lens. I wanted to buy with the kit from Panamoz or HDEW and they were both out of stock and couldn't give me delivery times. As I had been messed about by a company who had problems with there supplier for a Tamron 15-30mm and Nikon 70-200mm lenses for my D810, they give me a very good discount so I bought UK with the Sigma 18-35mm but the lens was too heavy for me without VR for a walkabout lens, so I returned and bought a Sigma 17-70mm, which I wasn't overly impressed with. I have now bought the AFP 18-55mm for the amount of times I will use the wide end, as the Sigma 150-600mm C is bolted to the front of the body now.

As for trading on, the only company I have found not to want grey is MPB and if you plan to keep for a few years, will it make much difference to the market price at time of selling?
Thanks for the info, not too much NR then. Looking at the full res images they are quite noisy though, even at 1600.

I'll not be buying a lens with it. As for how long I keep it, the main reason for looking is that I'm doing a few events this year where having a second body will be useful, and I thought buying and selling would be considerably cheaper than hiring three times. Hiring is £156 plus delivery per weekend, that's £468 plus delivery for three weekends. I'd be very surprised if I lost close to that buying used and selling on. As for grey, whether I'd lose as much as that I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, not too much NR then. Looking at the full res images they are quite noisy though, even at 1600.

I'll not be buying a lens with it. As for how long I keep it, the main reason for looking is that I'm doing a few events this year where having a second body will be useful, and I thought buying and selling would be considerably cheaper than hiring three times. Hiring is £156 plus delivery per weekend, that's £468 plus delivery for three weekends. I'd be very surprised if I lost close to that buying used and selling on. As for grey, whether I'd lose as much as that I'm not sure.

Buying is a no brainer if buying used, especially if you sell on. Hiring is expensive, as a comparison of buying used and selling on.

I don't think the noise is too bad and I'm not seeing a huge lot of difference from my D810 or my D750 before it, have a look at your Blue Tit photo on page 2 of your stream;) Similar ISO to the last Goldie in my post above. For the amount of photos I take, I just do a quick edit in LR, somebody with better skills (nearly everyone) at PPing could do a lot better with the files than me!

I need a little help, so will send you a PM.

Buying is a no brainer if buying used, especially if you sell on. Hiring is expensive, as a comparison of buying used and selling on.

I don't think the noise is too bad and I'm not seeing a huge lot of difference from my D810 or my D750 before it, have a look at your Blue Tit photo on page 2 of your stream;) Similar ISO to the last Goldie in my post above. For the amount of photos I take, I just do a quick edit in LR, somebody with better skills (nearly everyone) at PPing could do a lot better with the files than me!

I need a little help, so will send you a PM.
I have to crop the hell out of most of my bird pics so noise is accentuated ;)

I'll offer what help I can but there's a lot of people much better at PP than me.

I missed out on a D500 earlier, sold before I had chance to ring up. Still contemplating grey. Trouble is I've not seen any used ones come up on here to gauge how much they resell for privately.

Last edited:

Buying cheaper with a 3-year transferable warranty is a bit of a no-brainer to me :)

Simon I believe that you are quote close to the birds in your garden, is that correct?
I find that most of my subjects are not close and maybe that is one of the differences that I am finding in visible noise :)

Buying cheaper with a 3-year transferable warranty is a bit of a no-brainer to me :)

Simon I believe that you are quote close to the birds in your garden, is that correct?
I find that most of my subjects are not close and maybe that is one of the differences that I am finding in visible noise :)

Depends how much you pay in the first place;) I bought a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens and sold it back to the same dealer I purchased from, six weeks later, making a £180 profit.

At a guess Roger the perches I have are about 15-20 foot away, but always with the door closed, so through the double glazing. With your 500mm f4 wouldn't the lens resolve better detail than the Sigma zoom I have, and take more cropping for longer distance???...........Or will haze and similar cause more problems.? The second photo I posted above is about a 50% crop on one side, so still a far bit I suppose.

I'm not seeing a huge difference in noise to my D810 and the D750 I had before it for the shooting I do. Yes the D810 would have been nice for the cropping of some ducks/gulls I photoed last week at WWT Llanelli. I'm just finding this a great camera as I get used to it.

To add and save another post. I had 1232 photos from one battery last week with 5% charge remaining and the second one with 1178 and 17% charge remaining.

Depends how much you pay in the first place;) I bought a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens and sold it back to the same dealer I purchased from, six weeks later, making a £180 profit.

At a guess Roger the perches I have are about 15-20 foot away, but always with the door closed, so through the double glazing. With your 500mm f4 wouldn't the lens resolve better detail than the Sigma zoom I have, and take more cropping for longer distance???...........Or will haze and similar cause more problems.? The second photo I posted above is about a 50% crop on one side, so still a far bit I suppose.

I'm not seeing a huge difference in noise to my D810 and the D750 I had before it for the shooting I do. Yes the D810 would have been nice for the cropping of some ducks/gulls I photoed last week at WWT Llanelli. I'm just finding this a great camera as I get used to it.

To add and save another post. I had 1232 photos from one battery last week with 5% charge remaining and the second one with 1178 and 17% charge remaining.

The 500mm f4 at 15-20 feet would be and is superb Simon, however I rarely get that luxury, hence often using it with the TC 1.7 ... as with all distance shots haze and light can be critical. Often even the distant shots are cropped so any 'irregularities' affecting image quality are compounded.
You are doing amazingly well with your battery life, I am well short of those figures when using my 500 f4 & Meike grip, either or both of which could well be affecting my battery life.

I would add that my D810 was superb for clean images and I would be unable to put the D500 'cleanness' in the same class.

Last edited:
Nope he hasn't lol

@snerkler I think there must be nearly half a dozen of us on here now that have bought from Panamoz. I think its a no brainer to buy grey in this case tbh.

Regarding cards, Im a cheapskate and only use SD. Ive just bought two 32gb 80ms Sandisk from 7day shop for £22 all in. I used the same card at Silverstone Motogp last year and didnt feel the card was slowing me down any....

@snerkler bought one yet?!
Missed out on one today.

@snerkler I think there must be nearly half a dozen of us on here now that have bought from Panamoz. I think its a no brainer to buy grey in this case tbh.

Regarding cards, Im a cheapskate and only use SD. Ive just bought two 32gb 80ms Sandisk from 7day shop for £22 all in. I used the same card at Silverstone Motogp last year and didnt feel the card was slowing me down any....
I have no issue with buying from Panamoz, and have done so in the past, it's just a matter of which I'll lose less money on. Unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball, neither can I look back at past sales to gauge it.

As for the cards, I'd have to both card slots used as I always like to have backups just in case. On the D750 RAW plus RAW slows the buffer down so I tend to have jpeg backups. I assume with the D500 you can't choose which slot has RAW and which has jpeg so I'd have to shoot RAW on the xqd therefore I'd need a large capacity xqd. If I could shoot RAW on the SD and jpeg on the XQD it would mean that I could use a lower capacity XQD and save money. I already have several 64GB and 32GB SD's.

I assume with the D500 you can't choose which slot has RAW and which has jpeg so I'd have to shoot RAW on the xqd therefore I'd need a large capacity xqd.

Puzzled :thinking:

Surely you can choose which Slot is the Primary so just select the SD as Primary?

Mr Snerkler Sir
I normally use the XQD slot as primary and SD as secondary, but Iv'e just had a quick play and it seems to me that if you use the SD slot as primary you can do as you wish and have raw to SD and jpeg to XQD,
I must stress I have not tried it just had a quick fiddle with the menu settings, no doubt someone will soon let you know if they have tried it.

Puzzled :thinking:

Surely you can choose which Slot is the Primary so just select the SD as Primary?
Dunno that's why I asked ;)
Mr Snerkler Sir
I normally use the XQD slot as primary and SD as secondary, but Iv'e just had a quick play and it seems to me that if you use the SD slot as primary you can do as you wish and have raw to SD and jpeg to XQD,
I must stress I have not tried it just had a quick fiddle with the menu settings, no doubt someone will soon let you know if they have tried it.
Thanks for this (y)

My way of answering :D
Looking at the manual you can choose which slot is primary. You can't do that in the D750, only what the role of slot 2 does.

Looking at the manual you can choose which slot is primary. You can't do that in the D750, only what the role of slot 2 does.
Odd, I thought recent Nikons with 2 slots all had that option, hence my wording ... maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. :)

Odd, I thought recent Nikons with 2 slots all had that option, hence my wording ... maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. :)
I haven't actually gone through the menu on mine just now, but when I have in the past I haven't seen the option, and the manual seems to confirm this. I guess it makes sense as both slots are the same so why give the option which is primary.

Am I right in thinking the D500 files are larger than the D750 despite having less resolution? They're about 40mb aren't they at 14bit?

Edit: just seen that the D500 files are uncompressed so that's why. I see you have the option of lossless compressed, has anyone tried both and noticed any difference? The D750 only has lossless compressed, you don't have the option for uncompressed so if I used the D500 in lossless compressed it'll be no different to what I'm used to.

Last edited:
Back