D500

The thing that everyone overlooks with these discussion about purchasing 'grey' rather than purchasing from the more well known U.K. sources is that we don't actually know what each of these companies is paying the original manufacturer or their own particular supplier for the product. They are most probably not paying the same as each other or buying from the same source and have different deals and incentives to work with.
Depending on where the products are actually shipped from there are import duties on photographic goods ranging between 0% and 30%. Am pretty sure that Kong Kong is 0%. If we don't know the basic starting price that they are working with (and why on earth should they tell us) then we are in no position to decide whether any one particular source is importing the goods properly into the U.K. or whether they are avoiding paying any import duty (if applicable) or VAT!! Every company is certainly making a margin on the products that they sell to us, there wouldn't be any point in them doing business otherwise. Some companies are happy to work with lower margins than others and with better buying prices and lower overheads they can probably squeeze their margins even further and rely on sales volume to boost their profits.
Instead of continually worrying about the so called risks of purchasing 'grey' I would rather see more criticism of the so called UK based sellers and perhaps consider that they are actually being extremely greedy with the prices they are charging. It's pretty well known that the UK High Street work with margins of between 100% and 300% on goods that they sell. I suspect that the margins on cameras are lower but who's to say that the prices we see from the likes of Panamoz are not actually the prices that we should expect to be seeing from Wax or Park or MPB?

But from the wording I read it as though if you are one of the unlucky ones that doesn't make it through without duty then you will be the one that has to pay it, not HDEW.

But how can that be if you are buying from them here in the UK ... how are you importing?

But how can that be if you are buying from them here in the UK ... how are you importing?
I dunno, just how I interpret the text. Could be my misinterpretation, could be poorly worded or even old wording. Either way it wouldn't prevent me from ordering from them.

However, not all items are in the U.K. as I've already enquired about the D500 and they advised me they don't have any in stock and operate a "rolling stock system".

I dunno, just how I interpret the text. Could be my misinterpretation, could be poorly worded or even old wording. Either way it wouldn't prevent me from ordering from them.

Could be ... I've queried it with them and got a 'non-answer' and it's still there worded exactly the same as before I directed their attention to it.
Certainly odd.

I thought the manufacturer gave a recommended price the high st shops all stick to in the UK, but imagine the grey importers buy from where ever is cheaper. I always wondered why cameras can be cheaper in the USA, than here, but it isn't worth importing privately because import duties make it not worth while. So does the USA charge less import duties to the home market, than the UK or Europe, or are the manufacturers giving the American importers preferential,prices.

Think I'm sticking with the D750 as i like my 28/50 combo.

I'm guessing to match this on DX the closest primes would be 20 1.8g and 35 1.8g?

I thought the manufacturer gave a recommended price the high st shops all stick to in the UK, but imagine the grey importers buy from where ever is cheaper. I always wondered why cameras can be cheaper in the USA, than here, but it isn't worth importing privately because import duties make it not worth while. So does the USA charge less import duties to the home market, than the UK or Europe, or are the manufacturers giving the American importers preferential,prices.
because the USA import far more cameras than the uk..

I'm pretty sure that I've read about it happening to someone buying from Panamoz, but Panamoz immediately refunded the customer. Of course, I could have my wires crossed but I have definitely read about someone buying grey and getting stung but then reimbursed. With the wording from HDEW it is a get out of jail free card for the once in a blue moon that it happens.
I did a few years back ,i think it was for a new D300 at the time, few days later i had a invoice for import duties , Panomoz sorted it out promptly, so was happy with their service.

So I've pulled the trigger on a D500 from Panamoz, hopefully will get it by the end of next week. Now the questions start ;) Do you guys assign the record button to anything? I have it assigned to ISO on the D750 but no need for that on the D500 as it has an ISO button. However, I do wish that it had metering on the right too and I believe you can' t assign metering to the record button? I think it will take a bit of getting used to having a mode button rather than a mode dial, it is nice being able to see whether you're in aperture priority, manual mode etc just by looking at the dial but I'm sure I'll get used to it ;)

Looking forward to giving the AF system a workout and also seeing if the 'extra reach' gives me better images than cropping on my D750 (y)

Just look on top screen all details there what mode you in etc. You be fine [emoji106]

So I've pulled the trigger on a D500 from Panamoz, hopefully will get it by the end of next week. Now the questions start ;) Do you guys assign the record button to anything? I have it assigned to ISO on the D750 but no need for that on the D500 as it has an ISO button. However, I do wish that it had metering on the right too and I believe you can' t assign metering to the record button? I think it will take a bit of getting used to having a mode button rather than a mode dial, it is nice being able to see whether you're in aperture priority, manual mode etc just by looking at the dial but I'm sure I'll get used to it ;)

Looking forward to giving the AF system a workout and also seeing if the 'extra reach' gives me better images than cropping on my D750 (y)

Nice! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Already have it ;)

I think I would have done the same if I had the choice or I was a zoom user. FX definatly has a greater range of primes for all focal lengths and thats my enjoyent right now!

We having a farewell bash on the Nikon D750 thread for Snerkler?:beer:
Not a chance I'm giving up FF ;) The only time I'll be saying farewell to the D750 is if/when I swap to the D820 or D760 :D

Not a chance I'm giving up FF ;) The only time I'll be saying farewell to the D750 is if/when I swap to the D820 or D760 :D

Sshh can't tell the wife they maybe upgrading my D750.
Seriously though I am enjoying FF and glad I made the change.

Last edited:
This could happen.
Baring in mind this is the man that has said that from his lab tests that I would gain no advantage by getting a crop over ff for wildlife haha [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

This could happen.
Baring in mind this is the man that has said that from his lab tests that I would gain no advantage by getting a crop over ff for wildlife haha [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]
And if you've followed my posts that's not why I've got the D500 :p

And if you've followed my posts that's not why I've got the D500 :p

Looks like you've ordered one to me mate [emoji1] [emoji1]

Morning all
posted my D500 back to Nikon yesterday because I was unable to access live view, I don't use it normally only to do a AF fine tune on another lens I picked up it's been about five months since last used
has anyone else had this fault?, the only change to the camera since last used has been to update the firmware I don't know if that is relevant or not,
I expect a few people who have recently updated will be checking their own cameras soon but don't panic I'm sure it's an isolated fault.

Regards Bob

l

Can't see a reason apart from more reach. I must be old and blind haha.
My reason for changing from D750 to D500 was the size of the buffer, when trying to do a sequence of a bird in flight the camera always seemed to run out of steam.

Morning all
posted my D500 back to Nikon yesterday because I was unable to access live view, I don't use it normally only to do a AF fine tune on another lens I picked up it's been about five months since last used
has anyone else had this fault?, the only change to the camera since last used has been to update the firmware I don't know if that is relevant or not,
I expect a few people who have recently updated will be checking their own cameras soon but don't panic I'm sure it's an isolated fault.

Regards Bob

l
I have updated the firmware and live view still works, so unfortunately it does look like a fault

Can't see a reason apart from more reach. I must be old and blind haha.
Main reason is as a backup camera. Got an event coming up where the pressure's on to deliver and I can't afford any technical break downs ;) It then came down to whether I get another D750 or something else. I chose the D500 for the FPS and AF spread, but as an addition I thought varying to effective FL without the need to crop could be useful. Time will tell ;)

Scheduled delivery is showing as Monday :woot: Trouble is I'm at a different place of work Monday so won't pick it up til Tuesday :facepalm: :LOL:

Morning all

Regards Bob

l
Was it a grey import?

You will most likely see an improvement, at least in some situations. The lack of an AA filter is one reason...
Will be interesting to find out. The D7200 didn't to my eyes, but as you say the D500 doesn't have an AA filter. Also, by not having to crop (as much) noise shouldn't be as accentuated and therefore I'm hoping it will give comparable results in that regards to, at least up to ISO 3200.

Back