D500

Having a problem, shutter is only firing twice.
Checked the manual and tried what it says re troubleshooting but still only firing twice, any ideas?

I feel like I've just been gouged. The MB-D17 I picked up today was astonished expensive and whilst the quality is very good I can't see the justification for the price point.

Looking to get myself one of these soon! What SD or XQD cards did people end up liking the most? Is the move to XQD worth it when I already have Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards?

Looking to get myself one of these soon! What SD or XQD cards did people end up liking the most? Is the move to XQD worth it when I already have Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards?

Don't know about liking but got a Sony G 32gb with reader for mine, my sd card is extreme 16gb/60mb/s

I feel like I've just been gouged. The MB-D17 I picked up today was astonished expensive and whilst the quality is very good I can't see the justification for the price point.
For some people it's Nikon or nothing, but as you say, for the price, the Grips are very overpriced. Especially when you can get something very similar for 1/6 the price.

It's a ludicrous price, the Meike works fine for me and reports show that the DSTE version does everything the OEM does at a fraction of the price.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95's work really well, the advantage of the XQD is in backup/extra speed if required, (look out for S/H they can save some money, I picked up a 32GB for £23).

People will pay it. That's the only justification that's ever needed, whether you're talking about battery grips or baked beans.

I went on holiday last week, and so spent an intensive week with the D500. Up until now since I got the D500 I had been taking pictures of the fast things that take advantage of the AF and FPS.

So it was landscape pics and long exposures at night for the whole week. So this is just a few things that I found very useful.

Now I’m coming from the D300S, and so some of the things I mention may have already been available on subsequent Nikon cameras since the D300S.

I love the built-in level, which has led to less straightening of pics when processing. ;) I didn’t realise until 2-3 weeks ago that you can also overlay the level over the Live View, which came at the right time before the holiday. :) Because of the place I visited did not have the straightest buildings, the level option being available in the viewfinder was also useful.

I was hoping that any D300S replacement would get the rear buttons illuminated, and I’m glad that the D500 has them, as I was in some very dark situations. Though a lot of the button placement becomes muscle memory after awhile.

While initially not that enthused on the articulated LCD screen I must admit that it came in useful. Not really for extreme high and low angles, but because I don’t take a large tripod on holiday, it was good to just be able to review images and settings without crouching down to uncomfortable angles, especially at my age.

Where I found the articulated screen not as useful was when I was trying to point the camera up in portrait orientation to do a pic of the night sky to hopefully get a pic of the Milky Way. I would have preferred the screen to be the same design as the D5300 screen, but maybe not if it lost the left-hand side buttons. Maybe they couldn’t design the screen to have buttons down the side.

I like the option alter the view in Live View to show the actual exposure or not, coming from the D300S which was very limited in options.

So this is just some random thoughts of an intensive week with the camera. Other things may come to mind, but hopefully others will find this interesting or useful.

with you on the level in the VF, also having Sony Mirrorless its just part of an EVF but on a Nikon i was puzzled, then i sussed out the option and used it for when i took fireworks to have the camera level. Great feature.

Anybody had this with the d500? I have my 500mm with 1.4tc set with af fine tune values...I took the battery out to charge yesterday evening (on holiday) and today went out. Saw a flock of crossbill so shot away, looked back at them and every single one out of focus. Looked at the af fine tune and it was turned off!! I was using this combo yesterday and have pin sharp results so can only assume that the battery removal somehow reset the AF fine tune values...is that normal? Anybody else had that?

Anybody had this with the d500? I have my 500mm with 1.4tc set with af fine tune values...I took the battery out to charge yesterday evening (on holiday) and today went out. Saw a flock of crossbill so shot away, looked back at them and every single one out of focus. Looked at the af fine tune and it was turned off!! I was using this combo yesterday and have pin sharp results so can only assume that the battery removal somehow reset the AF fine tune values...is that normal? Anybody else had that?

It isn't normal Chris and I haven't had it happen, I can only think that it did a reset ... was anything else changed, or only the AF Fine Tune?

It isn't normal Chris and I haven't had it happen, I can only think that it did a reset ... was anything else changed, or only the AF Fine Tune?

I haven't really changed much else except that the ok buttom zooms to 100% on image review, but that's still fine. Oh well I saw the crossbill again so I got some after all and I'm checking the AF fine tune each time after charging. Anyway thanks for replying, hopefully it won't happen again.

If anyone is looking for a UK stock D500 they are £1556.10 in Jessops today. Cheapest non grey that I have seen.

Usually centre weighted.
I will have a play with highlight metering but today it is wet wet wet and likely to be so for next few days.

Just wondering, do any of you wildlife/bird togs use "Highlight" metering mode?

If not, what do you use? What have you found to be most reliable on the D500?

Tried it but not convinced it helped, I now generally use matrix but open the image in Capture NX-D with Neutral Picture Control setting ... occasionally use centre-weighted or spot.

I picked up a D500 yesterday to test, and today shooting WEC in Bahrain. It's the first cropped camera I've owned since a 50D back in 2008 and I've got to admit, the initial feedback is good. I used it with the 600mm (giving FOV equivalent of 900mm) which is a little over the top but just wanted to see how it handled the longer lenses and it did really well.

Got it for a few more weeks, shooting F1 next week, then teaching a motorsport photography workshop in December, then I think it's going to e difficult to give it back to Nikon.

Does anyone use the 16-80 with their d500? Thinking of picking one up next year, reviews seem a bit mixed but more for the better. And sample images on Flickr looked pretty good.

I'm a little disappointed because I haven't had time to use the camera beyond a few shots in the house. Work has just been so busy I hane't even had the time to take it out of the house yet. Poor thing has been sat in the box.

Seeing the images people are creating on this thread tells me I need to find some time.... soon

Re 16-80 F2.8-4 VR

Can only speak about my copy but it's one of the best Nikon lenses I've ever had. Tack sharp from corner to corner and at all FL'/s. Knocks spots off my former 16-85 VR and even my 17-55 F2.8 I had some years ago. Really don't understand all the negativity around this lens, unless I just got a stellar copy, but I certinaly wont ever part with mine.

Well that's good, I have seen a few reviews that say the same as you so shouldn't just be an above average copy. But to be honest I'm looking at getting a 200-500 with it so need another lens that goes wide enough and long enough as an only other lens so it makes sense to go for the 16-80.

Then one day she might let me get a 70-200 ;)

I have one and agree with Soot.
I find they are a good combination.
No AFFT necessary.
The only downside I can see is the price.

6months on with a D500:
I bought a D500 body as my 'action' camera to complement a brace of D810s back in early June. I shoot professionally and photograph a lot of dog agility shows as well as fast moving dogs in general. Before the D500 there wasn't an obvious choice for me - the D5 was simply too expensive and I could see the real advantage of having a DX body (my workhorse 70-200 would be the perfect dog show partner, giving me a solid 105-300 f2.8 equivalent, perfect for what I do).
I'll admit to being massively impressed with the camera initially - the focusing system seemed miraculous after the (admittedly non-action) D810. Also the frame rate enabled me to catch images that I simply couldn't get with the D810.
The camera tends to underexpose by a third of a stop or more - on the up side the NEF files seem to have a remarkable latitude to adjustment.
Negatives after 90k images? I wish the build quality was up there with the D810. The feel is very lightweight and I've had plastic break off the memory card 'door' hinge. I treat my equipment well but the build is definitely non-pro. Battery life could be better - I use a battery grip on all my cameras and the D500 can 'just' get through day's shooting with the two batteries.
I really want Nikon to give the D500 the Dynamic 9 focus group option that it's recently given to the D5. This would really help me with the use I put the camera to. I was disappointed that this didn't get addressed in the most recent D500 firmware update.
It's a camera that I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to shoot action.
My 2p worth!

It's a ludicrous price, the Meike works fine for me and reports show that the DSTE version does everything the OEM does at a fraction of the price.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95's work really well, the advantage of the XQD is in backup/extra speed if required, (look out for S/H they can save some money, I picked up a 32GB for £23).

Hi gramps, sorry if this is a stupid question regarding the grip, what does dste stand for?
I was just about to but the Meike mk-d500 pro built in2.4 fsk remote control from Amazon for £65, I assume this is the 3rd party grip you use?

Hi gramps, sorry if this is a stupid question regarding the grip, what does dste stand for?
I was just about to but the Meike mk-d500 pro built in2.4 fsk remote control from Amazon for £65, I assume this is the 3rd party grip you use?
Also... Obviously the 3rd party doesn't have the joystick, I assume this doesn't cause any issues?

DSTE is the manufacturer of the grip, mainly found in the US though.
The Meike does have the joystick but you can't programme the buttons on the grip like you can with the Nikon one ... hasn't bothered me though, otherwise is 100% for me :)

Thanks gramps, think I'll order the meike.
I like the idea of setting group focus to the joystick and single to the af on. Of course, thinking about it, unlikely to use portrait mode while shooting a bif so irrelevant if that can't be assigned.

Anyone recommend a decent screen protector - I was looking at the 'GLASS by Expert Shield - THE ultra-durable screen protector for your: Nikon D500'
Export Shield seen to do 3 types, clear, anti-glare and glass, wondered if anyone had any opinions?

Anyone found a good compatible 3rd party battery for the D500?

Back