D600 - £2000!

Just got in to see the near £2k price, I've been waiting for this for months to upgrade my D90 to FF, did expect it to be around the £1600 mark but at £1950 am now tempted to just go flat out and get the D800
Go on do it! You know you want too!

Compare to a £2200 D800 it is...

I thought that too, may as well go the whole hog and buy an D800 for a few hundred quid more.

No doubt it will come down in price, it will have to or they simply won't move off the shelves will they?

All I'd like to buy is a full frame D700 with two slots and perhaps more Pixels but not the Huge count of the D800.

This D600 is just a tease it looks like the type of camera I could go for but without the Nikon tip top build quality. Can't help feeling there's a gap between the 600 & 800 - Nikon will no doubt fill it and when they do this will be reduced in price and all those that went for them will be a little disappointed for shelling out their hard earned cash

The problem is if Nikon make something that is so close to the D800 - AF, built, dual slots, FF and sell it at cheaper, then you got to ask yourself this.

Who on earth would buy the D800 ???

The D600 is made lower spec on purpose, its listed price is £1k less than the D800 anyway. We will know how much it is in 6 months' time when the dust settles. The lower spec and lower price is the whole point of the contrast between the cameras. There is no "gaps" to be filled. Because if that gap is filled, it would make the other 2 cameras pointless.

I'm going to upgrade to ff in the near future but will wait a while longer to see how the dust settles.

At the current price (no doubt it will settle) I'd just save for a bit longer and get a D800.

I'm interested in this, based on reviews and comparisons because it'll has twin card slots and quiet mode that my 700 doesn't, that I've got used to and like on my d300S. But it's FX and the winner for me is it's small and light. But all will be finally decided when the comparisons etc happen

I'm going to upgrade to ff in the near future but will wait a while longer to see how the dust settles.

At the current price (no doubt it will settle) I'd just save for a bit longer and get a D800.

I am going to tell your wife!!! ;)

Flash In The Pan said:
You also forgo the warranty, which doesn't sound like a wise move on a newly-launched camera......

Plus, if you really need to save £100 on a £2000 body, wait six months. By the time you add US taxes and your currency commission fee, there's an insignificant difference. We're discussing a £2000 camera - if saving a few quid is absolutely critical, maybe you're looking at the wrong camera? Just a thought.

Raymond Lin said:
You are comparing RRP with current price of a camera that has been out 6 months.

Funny, yes.

Fair, no.

And one from a supplier that probably "avoids" things such as VAT etc.

It does seem way overpriced at the moment, can't see much incentive to chop in a D700 and if you're going to spend £2k you might as well pay a bit more and get the D800 with the better AF system? I can't see it staying at £2k for long

The D800 is in terminal 5 for £1995, so i think i will save £40 and pre order the D600 from jessops...... or NOT!
Utterly insane starting price! Wont be tempted for more than £1500 as i think the D800 will be worth the extra push money wise, back to the savings board for me then!

the market for this isn't D700 users - its dx users of the likes of the D300 and D7000 who can know get a full frame camera of small size and a reasonable(ish!!!) price.

It does seem way overpriced at the moment, can't see much incentive to chop in a D700 and if you're going to spend £2k you might as well pay a bit more and get the D800 with the better AF system? I can't see it staying at £2k for long

I wonder if a thread like this will pop up when Canon release there rumored entry level full frame camera which no doubt will be over priced too if you compare cost of 5DIII to a D800?? About £400-500 difference in the 5DIII being more than a D800.

I think once the price settles this camera will be priced about right. It is in the consumer section though on Nikon UK website not under Pro camera's which to me doesn't rule out a new pro bodies of both FX and DX. But is there the demand for them? Nikon must do a lot of market research to know what will and won't sell if they release it.

Please can we not discuss tax evasion on here.

Thanks.

The D800 is in terminal 5 for £1995, so i think i will save £40 and pre order the D600 from jessops...... or NOT!
Utterly insane starting price! Wont be tempted for more than £1500 as i think the D800 will be worth the extra push money wise, back to the savings board for me then!

D800 just announced at £1905 for TP members by Panamoz!

I'm out. Not allowed to talk about buying cameras on holiday for fear of annoying tax evasion experts. Politeness doesn't hurt, rather helps.

I was also one who ws hoping for it to come in £300-£400 cheaper but will watch the prices over the coming months.The f8 autofocus which Nikon are employing of late is superb. Might need to get myself a 2x convertor for the 600mm and with some cropping im sure i can get decent images f(y)or once...

a1ex2001 said:
an ND filter has been the fix for this for years.

My assesment of the D600 release is that it's almost exactly what I expected at the obvious price point, anyone who thought this would come with a release rrp of £1500 or less was sadly dreaming. The 2k release price lets nikon make a tidy profit from the early adopters and then slowly lower the price to the point where sales of both it and the D800 are where they want them which makes much more sense than releasing it cheap realising it was a mistake and bumping the price upwards. They also get to take advantage of a clear field with the rummoured Canon rival not on the scene yet so they are right to take advantage.

I really can't believe the poeple moaning about the AF system and the FPS, the number and type of points is more than enough so provided the placement is good the AF will be fine and the fps is exactly what should be expected for the mp of the camera without a grip. I seriously think some people are loosing the plot at the minute with the obsession with huge numbers of AF points it's getting so boring.

!!! This

Makes me love my D700 even more. It really is the perfect DSLR as far as I'm concerned.

Please can we not discuss tax evasion on here.

Thanks.

It's not tax evasion as that's illegal.
It's tax avoidance, and that's OK (unless you're Jimmy Carr) :D :p

Just had another look through and it was evasion (as has been kindly pointed out) lol. I'd thought it was a general reference to importing. Where's that hammer when I need it....:bonk:

Last edited:
Me too. That's why I'm buying a 5d Mk III. :)

The thought had crossed my mind to do the same. i picked up a 5dMk111 on an outward bound flight at Heathrow and didn't like control dials. It just seemed way over complicated to get to different menus etc guess you get used to them...

The thought had crossed my mind to do the same. i picked up a 5dMk111 on an outward bound flight at Heathrow and didn't like control dials. It just seemed way over complicated to get to different menus etc guess you get used to them...

What was the prices there? Was it in Dixons?

I am heading to NYC in a few weeks from T5 and wondering if you saw either a 50L or a 24L ?

The D600 will be in the shops next week!! (I think it's Thurs 20th) !

Haha...just read on dpreview: "The D600 might have 12 fewer AF points than the D800, but it offers the same AF system as the D7000, which we know from our testing performs well."

...I'm just about to call jessops to check the status of my D7000 AF repair for the second time lol.

Edit: 6 weeks for a repair. What a joke.

Last edited:
Haha...just read on dpreview: "The D600 might have 12 fewer AF points than the D800, but it offers the same AF system as the D7000, which we know from our testing performs well."

...I'm just about to call jessops to check the status of my D7000 AF repair for the second time lol.

LOL yeah I would agree with that phil. Having to fine tune every lens is abit much like

What was the prices there? Was it in Dixons?

I am heading to NYC in a few weeks from T5 and wondering if you saw either a 50L or a 24L ?

Call up Dixons Duty Free and ask them for the price.. they will give you the price on the phone and you can reserve it to collect on your way out to NY. I called them and was told the price for D800 was approx £1995. I am off to NYC in a month and was contemplating picking this up.

Call up Dixons Duty Free and ask them for the price.. they will give you the price on the phone and you can reserve it to collect on your way out to NY. I called them and was told the price for D800 was approx £1995. I am off to NYC in a month and was contemplating picking this up.

Do you just return it to any dixons if its faulty?

......I'm just about to call jessops to check the status of my D7000 AF repair for the second time lol.

I gave up on repairs through Jessops, just seemed to take ages. Fixation are probably the best IMO.

....Having to fine tune every lens is abit much like

Has this been a massive issue for you Tony? Only had to do my 70-200mm and 35mm,although I keep reading about people fine-tuning everything.

Just read the video specs for the D600 - disappointed that is doesn't have 50/60fps.

Overall, I'm a bit puzzled about this camera; on one hand it looks like a very good camera in terms of spec, geared towards people who want a 'do-everything' tool with a high megapixel count and good detail. In that sense it seems like the 'new' D700, which is no bad thing at all.

However, with the D4 and the D3s still in the lime-up, plus a D800/800e, it's FX overkill in my mind.... me and Dean (23thirdman) both commented yesterday that it would have made sense to directly replace the D300s to give DX users something to go at. I just can't see myself going for this camera because in effect, all it has over my D7000 is a slightly bigger body, more megapixels and an FX sensor. And why they've put a mode dial on it instead of what's on the D300/D3 is something I can't fathom.

Maybe I'm being a bit dense but this isn't a camera that fills a gap IMHO...

Back