D600 - £2000!

Not now - unless wrong link given.

Now £1775
it's actually higher than that as the price of £1775 is from a reseller on amazon . the price themselves are selling it for is £1885 ...a bit of a hike in one day!

If any of you have read my comments on the D600 I would suggest you hold on tight until further reviews come out. At this moment in time I would say the D700/D3s is the more reliable camera.

It reminds me of this (quite good) video where they compare a D800 to a Hasselblad H4D on a photo shoot and then watch the snobby professional photographers compare the photos, then attempt to justify the Hasselblad and it's huge cost over the D800, when frankly, they are not far off each other.

At the end, after some waffling, one of the reasons they give for having to use a £30,000 a camera is that he "needs to look like a professional" and "can't turn up at a photo shoot with a D800 and have a passer by say 'oh I've got one of those'"...

Lol!

See it here: http://youtu.be/9UBTE4xpvpk

Its is good, but neither of them come across as snobby, thats very unfair. They do have a point about projecting an image to their clients, in the market they work in without MF most art directors won't touch you

Last edited:
ryanyboy said:
If any of you have read my comments on the D600 I would suggest you hold on tight until further reviews come out. At this moment in time I would say the D700/D3s is the more reliable camera.

Ryan,

It came up in another thread about the AF not being set properly by mistake and the photographer had exactly your experience.

Turns out he didn't set the af-c to dynamic points (then however many he wanted to use).

Any possibility this was your case as well???

At the moment my feeling are still swinging toward an D3s,i am going to play the wait and see game :)

Phil Young said:
Ryan,

It came up in another thread about the AF not being set properly by mistake and the photographer had exactly your experience.

Turns out he didn't set the af-c to dynamic points (then however many he wanted to use).

That was me - but I've done some testing since with my D700 and there isn't much difference between using a single point AF area mode and one of the dynamic ones. Which leads me to conclude that the D600 AF really doesn't compare well to the D700 (for moving subjects).

D700 owners - don't rush in and buy your D600 yet, definitely wait for more reports on the AF - especially for moving subjects.

ShoeQueen said:
Pretty sure it was that cheaper price on the link earlier today and from Amazon direct, cos I looked it.... seems to have gone up again now.

It was cheaper this morning. It's jumped back up by a couple of hundred now.

daveb99 said:
That was me - but I've done some testing since with my D700 and there isn't much difference between using a single point AF area mode and one of the dynamic ones. Which leads me to conclude that the D600 AF really doesn't compare well to the D700 (for moving subjects).

D700 owners - don't rush in and buy your D600 yet, definitely wait for more reports on the AF - especially for moving subjects.

Interesting, I nearly took the plunge yesterday and ordered one from Panamoz. But I think I will hold out now. Any idea how long we can expect to wait until reliable in depth reviews start appearing?

A week or so at most I would imagine. Wether they are impartial is the key point.

faddius said:
Interesting, I nearly took the plunge yesterday and ordered one from Panamoz. But I think I will hold out now. Any idea how long we can expect to wait until reliable in depth reviews start appearing?

I was going to place my order today with Panamoz - hence my testing of it last night at my local camera shop. Not sure how long until we see some reviews - many will be subjective regarding the AF tracking I guess. I plan to go back to the shop next week, with my D700 and 24-70 again, and repeat the tests I did, but this time setting the D600 to 9 point Dynamic Area AF mode (using the centre point as the primary focus point).

If it shows a big improvement and fares well against my D700 using the same settings (I'll also test it in the mode I used before where it missed the focus on almost every shot) then I'll seriously consider placing my order.

I was going to place my order today with Panamoz - hence my testing of it last night at my local camera shop. Not sure how long until we see some reviews - many will be subjective regarding the AF tracking I guess. I plan to go back to the shop next week, with my D700 and 24-70 again, and repeat the tests I did, but this time setting the D600 to 9 point Dynamic Area AF mode (using the centre point as the primary focus point).

If it shows a big improvement and fares well against my D700 using the same settings (I'll also test it in the mode I used before where it missed the focus on almost every shot) then I'll seriously consider placing my order.

Going a bit off topic, do you not think it unfair to use up the camera shops time last night and plan to again next week before ordering it from Panamoz? No wonder shops are closing all the time.

cambsno said:
Going a bit off topic, do you not think it unfair to use up the camera shops time last night and plan to again next week before ordering it from Panamoz? No wonder shops are closing all the time.

Its a large chain, with five staff on the shop floor and about 2 customers between the hours of 5 and 6pm on a weekday......I will give them a chance to price match as I'd be more than happy to buy it from there if they are competitive.

They are one of the flagship stores and had hundreds of cameras there for people to handle and test. I really don't think it's any different to test driving cars, sometimes you don't like it and either stick with what you've got, or try different ones.

How many people go into WHSmith, and stand there reading magazines, then walk out without buying one? Every day - across the UK - hundreds of people!

Last edited:
simonblue said:
Have to adgreed with you a bit unfair :(

Its definately unfair if you take up the staff time but as for going to have a little play I don't see a problem as long as you let the staff know upfront that you aren't planning on buying today so they can concentrate on selling to other people. If going down this route I think its fair play to allow staff priority also if you hear them talking about a certain product...

Phil Young said:
Its definately unfair if you take up the staff time but as for going to have a little play I don't see a problem as long as you let the staff know upfront that you aren't planning on buying today so they can concentrate on selling to other people. If going down this route I think its fair play to allow staff priority also if you hear them talking about a certain product...

Agreed - I had already spoken to them on the phone before going into the store and they were aware I wasn't planning to buy it there and then. It was actually their suggestion to take my D700 so I could take comparison shots, and evaluate the results at home. It was also their idea to walk around the store while I took some shots to test the AF with moving subjects. I'll be calling them again before going in next week, and as I've said, if they are competitive, I'll be buying from them.

Last edited:
Its a large chain, with five staff on the shop floor and about 2 customers between the hours of 5 and 6pm on a weekday......I will give them a chance to price match as I'd be more than happy to buy it from there if they are competitive.

They are one of the flagship stores and had hundreds of cameras there for people to handle and test. I really don't think it's any different to test driving cars, sometimes you don't like it and either stick with what you've got, or try different ones.

How many people go into WHSmith, and stand there reading magazines, then walk out without buying one? Every day - across the UK - hundreds of people!

You know they cannot match Panamoz,seem to me you want your cake and eat it,what if everybody did this their will be no shops for you to go into for testing :(

simonblue said:
You know they cannot match Panamoz,seem to me you want your cake and eat it,what if everybody did this their will be no shops for you to go into for testing :(

Please see my post above - this was all done at the store's suggestion. My initial phone call was to ask if they had any D600's in stock that I could go and look at. I think they appreciate that nobody is going to go in and spend £1500+ on the strength of subjective reviews on the Internet.

Phil Young said:
Dave, what about D7000 to D600?

I think this would be a great upgrade - the body is about 1/4 of an inch larger all round - and a tad heavier - but going from FX to DX alone would be a massive step up, and from what I've read the AF module, although related to the D7000, should be better overall.

There are a lot of rich self-righteous people in this thread.

Either way, when more in depth reviews come out, if they seem positive I will be going into town to handle one of these cameras before buying. I will also be asking the staff at the store how competitive they can be, whilst bearing in mind that they won't be as cheap as panamoz. Hopefully I will be able to get a fairly reasonable deal out of them as they have price matched other places (I wouldn't even dare to ask them to price match panamoz) and have been fairly flexible in discussing discounts. Especially as I will also be discussing P/X my current kit with them and possibly upgrading a couple of lenses to fx.

If they can come within a £100-£150 odd difference compared to other sellers, I will buy from them, but if it's in the region of £250+ I will have to go elsewhere. As much as I agree with the notion of supporting your high street, and I would hate for anymore local stores to close down - I am not willing to pay that much of a premium to support them. However if it's just a small premium, then I don't mind.

Phil Young said:
Although obviously that's a really good observation, how on earth is that helpful to anything???

It was an observation. If it makes somebody aware that they appear that way then it may be helpful. ;)

The23rdman said:
It was an observation. If it makes somebody aware that they appear that way then it may be helpful. ;)

You should let people know you have a problem with them or ignore then instead of sparking off an argument.

Live and let live perhaps and not be so narrow minded to think that everybody has to think the same way...

(I don't have a clue who you're talking to I just find that kind of attitude a bit annoying, particularly as this thread is a good discussion and is covering many valid points).

Its is good, but neither of them come across as snobby, thats very unfair. They do have a point about projecting an image to their clients, in the market they work in without MF most art directors won't touch you

I saw that video a while back. I thought they were full of themselves. Even when it was blatantly obvious, [they put the images side by side], that the D800 was more than holding it's own against a £30k medium format - they refused to budge on their hasselblad fanboyism. I thought they both needed a bit of a slap tbh. Some of the side by sides showed the D800 images having better detail IMHO.

I saw that video a while back. I thought they were full of themselves. Even when it was blatantly obvious, [they put the images side by side], that the D800 was more than holding it's own against a £30k medium format - they refused to budge on their hasselblad fanboyism. I thought they both needed a bit of a slap tbh. Some of the side by sides showed the D800 images having better detail IMHO.

Its kind of hard to tell detail from a youtube vid. I guess the rest is just my opinion v yours. Neither right or wrong

faddius said:
Either way, when more in depth reviews come out, if they seem positive I will be going into town to handle one of these cameras before buying. I will also be asking the staff at the store how competitive they can be, whilst bearing in mind that they won't be as cheap as panamoz. Hopefully I will be able to get a fairly reasonable deal out of them as they have price matched other places (I wouldn't even dare to ask them to price match panamoz) and have been fairly flexible in discussing discounts. Especially as I will also be discussing P/X my current kit with them and possibly upgrading a couple of lenses to fx.

If they can come within a £100-£150 odd difference compared to other sellers, I will buy from them, but if it's in the region of £250+ I will have to go elsewhere. As much as I agree with the notion of supporting your high street, and I would hate for anymore local stores to close down - I am not willing to pay that much of a premium to support them. However if it's just a small premium, then I don't mind.

Well said, and this is exactly the approach I'm taking - and I can't see what's wrong with it.

Its kind of hard to tell detail from a youtube vid. I guess the rest is just my opinion v yours. Neither right or wrong

I know, but when I'm watching comparisons like that I always watch in full HD if available, full screen. I have a pretty fast connection, 30Mbs.

I'm sure the Hasselblad has more detail, but to the naked eye? You really would have to be pixel peeping to notice I think. I just didn't like the manner of the couple, especially him. He seemed very dismissive from the off.

Last edited:
You should let people know you have a problem with them or ignore then instead of sparking off an argument.

Live and let live perhaps and not be so narrow minded to think that everybody has to think the same way...

(I don't have a clue who you're talking to I just find that kind of attitude a bit annoying, particularly as this thread is a good discussion and is covering many valid points).

The way I saw it the guy who tested the camera in the shop was being bullied because he chose to save some cash.

I know, but when I'm watching comparisons like that I always watch in full HD is available, full screen. I have a pretty fast connection, 30Mbs.

I'm sure the Hasselblad has more detail, but to the naked eye? You really would have to be pixel peeping to notice I think. I just didn't like the manner of the couple, especially him. He seemed very dismissive from the off.

Its still your opinion v mine, and neither is right or wrong. Just different.

For the record though I have to say the having h4d 50 files in LR looking at them against a d800 the skin tones do look better to me.

I'll still say you can't tell that sort of detail from a vid, even HD.

Regardless, my opinion is they were snobs. You told another poster that it was unfair to say such a thing, that was their opinion. That's all.

The23rdman said:
The way I saw it the guy who tested the camera in the shop was being bullied because he chose to save some cash.

I don't think anyone was being bullied....

Its not nice to the business to go in and use their time when you have zero intention of buying but take all their free advice anyway.

Like he Dave said...he phoned ahead and asked if it was OK to play with the cameras but wasn't going to buy.

So really people have no need to say Dave was in the wrong but people that do what I described above are leaches and show little respect for the business. Dave is not a leache - he merely wanted to test a body, nothing wrong as it's not detrimental to the business making money.

Back