D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

Yeh the 300 f2.8 makes a hell of a difference in regards to focusing. I took close to 300 pics yesterday at the game and honestly about 10-15 were out of focus. That's a very good keeper rate in my eyes.

I can finally say I also have D810 - however after two outings with it, I feel likeI have to start learning from the beginning.

The amount of details this body is able to capture totally blew me away. Now any adjustment to clarity/structure feels like overkill.

Took my daughter out earlier today for portrait session and although we had some nice photos, I didn't keep any of them. I can't compare it with my old D5100. Anyway, here are two photos of my Rico.

DSC_0317_1600
by
Tom Major,
on Flickr

DSC_0290_1600

by
Tom Major,
on Flickr

Now I need fast zoom with VR... :D

I had exactly the same experience when i first got my D810. I had to be more careful with the photos I took but getting used to it now. At the moment i am trying out setting auto ISO sensitivity on, and at the max of 12800 in the setup menu. so far excellent and will leave it at that for the time being, one thing less to worry about.

I had exactly the same experience when i first got my D810. I had to be more careful with the photos I took but getting used to it now. At the moment i am trying out setting auto ISO sensitivity on, and at the max of 12800 in the setup menu. so far excellent and will leave it at that for the time being, one thing less to worry about.
When you say ‘more careful’ ? As a prospective buyer I’m keen to know a little more if your kind enough to oblige!

I can't answer for @realspeed, however, the common train of thought is that because the 810 is so good and picks up so much detail, it also magnifies any flaws in your images. But, once you have got to grips with this, and it takes no time to get comfortable with this body, the results are often amazing.

I can't answer for @realspeed, however, the common train of thought is that because the 810 is so good and picks up so much detail, it also magnifies any flaws in your images. But, once you have got to grips with this, and it takes no time to get comfortable with this body, the results are often amazing.

Exactly that, could not say it better. With the AA filter removed it does show up more detail, therefore one has make sure the camera is held steadier to get those details. It surprise me how much better the D810 is even over the D800 of which I have both. Don't get me wrong the D800 is still a very good camera and is now my backup camera.
In my opinion it is the best camera Nikon have produce, File size is not excessive- retains built in flash- very low ISO down to 64 for example and not over expensive . One thing I would say is you need quality lenses to go with it Like the nikons 24-70 and the 70-200mm ones. Then i fine tuned them to the camera with a spyderlenscal target card. One should fine tune any make of camera v lens to get the best anyway

link
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV694lvrRjg

Brazo
Have no doubt about the D810 believe me, just get one and enjoy

I used slot one for RAW using a CF card and slot 2 an SD card as backup
0iGw4RU.jpg

D810 @ 1/160sec- f10- 24mm (24-70mm lens) ISO400 ( hand held ,I don't have a steady hand) and not editied in Jpeg version original size 14.3 mb

obviously the RAW version and edited is better

Last edited:
That explains why I din't have as much sharp photos of my dogs...

if you are referring to fine tune it definately is worth doing
On my 24-70 I have to go to +8 on the scale in the menu setting. All cameras and lenses have a tolerance allowance built in. It is then a case of up to the individual to fine tune both to get the best. That is why the fine tune is in the menu setup
with variable lens mm best to set it at your normal working distance or as in video

Slightest movement is amplified with the D810 due to no AA filter so best to make sure eveything is perfectly still

Last edited:
I referred to the motion blur mate - during shoot with my dogs I was anything but still... but I can’t complain about sharpness at all in more controlled conditions.

Thanks a lot Bazza. Surprisingly football isn't really my thing either haha. I do love trying to capture the perfect moments though and I'd love to shoot other sports soon too. I think rugby could have some awesome potential for good photos too.

Let me please explain about this photo. Ok i know it is of nothing exciting or important but at long last the colour red is not a problem . When I had, well still have, my D800 before I dropped it and got repaired the colour red was a definate out of bound, no way could I get the right colour, after the repair it must have been recalibrated and made a huge improvement but still not really spot on
Now back to the photo below taken with the D810 in flat mode. Yes it needs editing but what a difference he red on the flowers are spot on. I am not on about anything else but that beautiful colour red and how well the camera catches it

FeO258H.jpg

pGBvCN8.jpg

Nkikon D810 with a tamron 90mm macro lens (hand held)

It has come from Asia via America to us. first spotted it 2004 and is destroying our own native ladybirds.

Seen for first time here this morning on our runner bean plants

our native nine spot

Z4yWKaR.jpg

Last edited:
I have the D810 and I think it is a great camera. But there seems to be a lot of confusion between sensor resolution and the resulting image resolution/sharpness IMO. Image resolution and sharpness are interrelated, but they are not the same thing.

I shot this on a D5 which is a 20MP sensor w/ AA filter. I used a 400/2.8 with a 2x TC attached at f/11. The lens/aperture are the limiting factors in this setup and I am quite confident that the resulting recorded resolution could be no higher than ~12MP. It's actually much lower than that because so much is OOF/motion blurred.

RTHU
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

This is a screen capture of it in LR at 400% magnification/zoom. There's very little sharpening applied to this raw file (detail-8/masking-100), and there is noise reduction applied (both luminance and color).

400% zoom
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

And at the size I posted them here (1024x) they contain less than 1MP of detail... they can be viewed full size on flickr if you're curious.

Edit: my only point is that most of the images being posted don't really show anything in particular about the D810's capabilities.

Last edited:

Edit: my only point is that most of the images being posted don't really show anything in particular about the D810's capabilities.

But what they do show is that the resolution is much finer than that of my D700 :D . I've been away from photography for a good few years now and have only just seen what Nikon's latest offerings can do.

I'm impressed! Some great photos in this thread, too :) .

Last edited:
Not been out much with the camera recently. I was up in the Peaks to see the heather but it was past it's best and mostly frazzled by the hot weather. It probably looked great a week or two before. The good news was the Highland Cattle on Baslow Edge were out in in good positions on the edge so made up for it.

Highland Cow
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Highland Cow- storm clouds
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

It's surprising how it felt like photographing deer. Looking forward to the autumn rut now :)

6iEh3HM.jpg

nearly ready again this year, just need to sweeten up and the other bunches ripen. can't be bothered to tweezer
the smal ones out.

How I do love this Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 lens on the D810. above jpeg unedited

Last edited:
Back