D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Hi fellow D90'ers,

Just a quick one. I was taking some pics at the weekend and kept getting 'F--' come up on the top LCD for some reason. It was resolved by removing the battery and putting it back in but was somewhat worrying to be honest. Had to do it about four times in total.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this at all?

I've had this problem but solved it by removing the lens then back on again.:shrug:

As for the D90 noisey shutter/ i've come from the Sony A100 to the D90, take 1 shot with the Sony & you wont even hear the D90.

1 possible tip ( bet you guys know all about this ) is ... if you want to lighten the background when using flash without adjusting apeture is to apply the active D lighting.

Last edited:
I moved from a D40 to the D90 4 months ago and absolutely love this camera .... more than chocolate.:) I love the onboard editing tools (am in the process of ordering Photoshop) and the video capability is fab when composing family shots and getting a candid recording as well. My only gripe would be that I can only shoot in 5min bursts but then I forget that it isn't a camcorder!:LOL:

I am very tempted to change from a D60 to the D90.

Even if its just for the additional AF points as the 3 I have on the D60 is disappointing!

Also a very quick question...

Is the AF motor in the body on the D90, unlike the D60?

Another question. Do I need to install the Nikon software on my PC before uploading shots from the camera. I'm running Vista 64bit, and I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Nikon software can be a bit buggy at times.

Any advice on what wiould be best to do? Just install & use the Nikon software, or what else would you suggest?

Another question. Do I need to install the Nikon software on my PC before uploading shots from the camera. I'm running Vista 64bit, and I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Nikon software can be a bit buggy at times.

Any advice on what wiould be best to do? Just install & use the Nikon software, or what else would you suggest?

I didn't, I just use Lightroom to import and edit.

Where about in Notts you from?

Thanks. So as I've already got Photoshop CS4, would you still recommend Lightroom as well. Picasa seems OK, but perhaps a bit lightweight.

I'm in Beeston, so have good access to Attenborough Nature Reserve. How about you?

Town center right by the arena.

I find photoshop too much effort for batch processing. Lightroom makes it dead easy to process 100+ pictures. Download the demo and try it.

Just got my D90 this morning...

so far im liking it, soooo muhc better than my D40

By the cringe it's a bit of a difference isn't it? I got mine on Wednesday. The first time I pressed the shutter I took 3 pictures in one go and made myself jump. I am trying to use it all the time but I keep going back to the D40 as I know it so well. I guess it will take a while to get used where the buttons are etc.

Sean

I am looking to buy a D90 over the next couple of days (just sold my Sony a200 in the classifieds).

The cheapest place at the moment (although out of stock today) is Curry's with code 70save. Brings it down to £709.
The next up seems to be Amazon at £743.

Does any one know of any better deals for the D90 & 18-105 at the moment ?

I was also planning to buy a Sigma 70-300 form Amazon at the same time, as I can't afford the Nikon 70-300 VR at the moment. Does anyone no any reasons not to buy the Sigma ?

Park Cameras £679 for a D90 body only, just bought one from them (y)

Hello all I have just upgraded from the D40 (which I loved) to the D90 got another new learning curve to go through lol

Any D90 owners here also have a D300?

I'm finally upgrading from a couple of D1x (I know, I know... ancient technology, but while they weren't broke there was no reason to spend money I didn't really have) and wondering which out of the two I should go for. I've looked at both in shops, but never been able to borrow one or the other to test out for real. Any feedback appreciated.

Most of my photography is done at gigs.

OK, got a D90 in the end. Maybe it's my chubby little fingers, but... how the hell do you get the battery cover off to fit the MB-D80???

Has anyone else noticed random white balance issues on the D90 ? I shoot in RAW+Jpeg Fine and sometimes the WB on the RAW is way out.

Has anyone else noticed random white balance issues on the D90 ? I shoot in RAW+Jpeg Fine and sometimes the WB on the RAW is way out.

I think this might actually have been Gimp causing the problem. When I preview the RAW in Iphoto it looks fine.

book mark for me to read later for reference LOL

Guys I just thought I'd mention I have had my D90 for about 6 months now and its a great piece of kit I also have the SB600 to go with it yesterday I whacked out the camera for my lil ones first step and shock horror the in built flash popped up but no flash I reset the camera switched over to auto and still nothing I have since spoken to Nikon Support who advised they have had several cases like this I am just waiting for the postal strike to end so that I can send it back :~(

i had the flash go on my nikon d40 (apparently quite common some element thing go)

most d90 users should still be within the 2 yrs warranty though ;-)

what lens did you use with the sb600?

i had a sb400 flash on the d40 and it was great, shame it wouldn't swivel as ideal size

Its pain sending back what am I gonna do for 28 days without it.
I have the nikon 18-200mm and niftey 50 and the flash works well

which 50mm have you got?

yeah pain, but hopefully turnaround would be quicker

deleted about 100 pics via transferNX last night, put my 4gb Sandisk ultra II card back in the camera and got CHR error on the screen after 1 test shot. this meant i couldn't take any more pics. re-inserted card and it cleared, but returned after 2 test shots. Formatted the card via the camera and it seems fine now. is this common and is it merely a card error, or should i get worried that theres a proper fault brewing?

cheers, Al

Bob give it a good pull, it will come out dont worry theyre made nice and strong, pull out diagonally not vertically though

what flash do people use?

I never use the popup flash, I use a Jessops 360AFD.

My D90 is gripped with the MB-D80, best £100 i've spent :D

Last edited:
what's Jessops 360AFD that like and how does it differ to say the nikon range?

Back