D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Setting a3.
Go I menu-custom setting menu- autofocus - built in ad assist illuminator.
That will help you focus in low-light

Setting a3.
Go I menu-custom setting menu- autofocus - built in ad assist illuminator.
That will help you focus in low-light

yeah mines on, but only activated when the pop up flash was activated?
will check the other setting as mentioned previously

Had a look in my D90 for dummies book and be only reference is that it comes on in low light. May be a case of what the camera considers to be low light. Hope the centre point works for you, sorry I couldn't be of more help

thanks

it wouldn't work on AF-C and also as you mentioned only on centre point, thanks

Can someone remind me of what the difference of:

1. AF-A, AF-S, AF-C?

2. Metering Mode

p1tse said:
Can someone remind me of what the difference of:

1. AF-A, AF-S, AF-C?

2. Metering Mode

AF-C = Constant autofocus

AF-S = Single autofocus doesn't change if held at half press

AF-A = camera decides which is best

The reason why your flash is popping up when the focus assist light is coming on is because you are in Auto mode or one of the scene modes.

You can either turn the flash off (flash button on the front and rear dial), or use A, S or M modes. In these modes (unless you are in AF-C) the AF assist light will come on in low light but the flash will not pop up.

thanks

I meant I could only get focus assist light to come on with the flash pop up, this was due to me being in AF-C and not centred focused

thanks

I meant I could only get focus assist light to come on with the flash pop up, this was due to me being in AF-C and not centred focused

I just checked on my D90 and the focus assist does not come on at all when in AF-C, flash popped up or otherwise.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted. :)

johnb5271 said:
Hi I was thinking of buying a Sandisk Extreme class 10 card for my D90, do you think its worth the expense over a Sandisk Standard or Ultra card.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037FLUYU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Many thanks

If you are planning on using it for video then probably. I prefer a number of smaller cards so a crupt card doesn't ruin a whole days shoot.

I would also be extremely careful as to where you buy cards as there are fakes out there.

Yeah would be hoping to use it for video.

Never thought of the corruption aspect to be honest, that's a good point.

I have bought Sandisk cards before from Amazon and have not had any problems, is there anyway to tell the dodgy cards?

Thanks.

What do people recommend as a good but economically priced flash for a D90?

intel86 said:
What do people recommend as a good but economically priced flash for a D90?
TTL or manual? Do you want to use creatively off camera, or do you just need more power?

I have an SB600 (used from around £130) which works flawlessly with the D90 in TTL, slave mode etc, don't see much point spending more than this on a flash.

I also have a Yongnuo YN460II (£40 new) which is fully manual but great for off camera use and can be optically triggered if you're indoors.

If I was very skint and just wanted more light, ability to bounce etc I'd be very happy with the Yongnuo on top of my D90.

Thanks. What about the Jessops branded ones? Any good? TTL would be good

Never tried a jessops flash but have heard they work just fine, but aren't built as well as some rivals. Nissin get a good name too, I've a cheap metz for m4/3, but it feels cheap unsurprisingly!

Might be worth posting over in the flash section, as all the non OEM flashes are usually identical between brands apart from electronics (and shoe if you use Sony...)

Last edited:
Nikon D90 + 50mm 1.8D.

How much should one expect to pay for the above 2nd hand? Seen someone selling the 2. Apparently mint condition and low shots

Also, i have read a lot about people seeing a red line in the viewfinder coming down from the central focussing point. Is that something to be worried about as some say yes others say it is normal?

Last edited:
intel86 said:
Nikon D90 + 50mm 1.8D.

How much should one expect to pay for the above 2nd hand? Seen someone selling the 2. Apparently mint condition and low shots

Also, i have read a lot about people seeing a red line in the viewfinder coming down from the central focussing point. Is that something to be worried about as some say yes others say it is normal?

Separately maybe £350-£400 for the body, £60-£70 for the lens, assuming minty, boxed, all accy's etc... Maybe a little less if buying both together.

No idea about the red line, but will have a look on mine when I get home!

If the center focus point is in wide mode then I have noticed a very thin line going downwards from the focus point which does illuminate in red when the shutter button is pressed. Nothing to worry about IMO as it appears to be part of the LCD make up of the focusing screen.

intel86 said:
Anyone else have a red line from the centre focus point?

Mind does indeed have said line, it's almost entirely unnoticeable. My guess is that it's some kind of conductor trace or light guide up to the centre focus point to enable the focus point illumination.

It's much narrower than the viewfinder gridline should you have that switched on. As its never bothered me before, I intend to ignore it fully :)

If the center focus point is in wide mode then I have noticed a very thin line going downwards from the focus point which does illuminate in red when the shutter button is pressed. Nothing to worry about IMO as it appears to be part of the LCD make up of the focusing screen.

It's the electrical track going to the focus point that you can see. Sometimes it is more noticable than other times, but it is nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys. Others saying on the net that it shouldnt be there are wrong then?

Would still be interested how many of you have noticed the red line as opposed to those who have none?

intel86 said:
Thanks guys. Others saying on the net that it shouldnt be there are wrong then?
Would certainly seem that way! :D

EDIT: I've also just tested slapheads theory and stuck the centre focus point on wide, and hey presto, the line moves with the left segment, and also a line across the top linking the two segments also becomes visible. You can also see identical lines connecting to other focus points when you select them manually. It's clearly conductor track or light guide (more likely the former).

Anyone worrying about this is nuts IMHO.

Last edited:
Well, having never owned a D90 it was a shock. Openend another thread now for D90 owners to post their findings

From the D90 manual page 9:

"Owing to the characteristics of this type of viewfinder display, you may notice fine lines radiating outward from the selected focus point. This is normal and does not indicate a malfunction"

jomike said:
From the D90 manual page 9:

"Owing to the characteristics of this type of viewfinder display, you may notice fine lines radiating outward from the selected focus point. This is normal and does not indicate a malfunction"
That's that then, good work!

intel86 said:
Guys, do you leave ISO on auto? Or is it better to choose it oneself?

I prefer to have some control over it. The camera will push iso very high if that keeps the shutter speed within acceptable limits. I tend to stay at 200 and change up when conditons require increased shutter speed.

DrRusty said:
I prefer to have some control over it. The camera will push iso very high if that keeps the shutter speed within acceptable limits. I tend to stay at 200 and change up when conditons require increased shutter speed.
Same here, have tried to wean myself off auto ISO...

Last edited:
Charles Burley said:
I have 2x d90 and a range of glass, use these for weddings.

I find they punch above their weight with a good bit of glass.
I was at a wedding recently where the pro was using a D90 as second body with a Siggy 10-20 on it, had a good craic with him.

Which lenses do you find work best with the D90?

I have a sigma 24-70 and a Nikon 50mm 1.4.

Pretty much covers every shot I need at a wedding.
The d90 and 50mm on a slow shutter capture some great dancing in the evenings!

So, you set to ISO 200 in the menu? If so, how do you do that on a D90? Ta

Last edited:
So, you set to ISO 200 in the menu? If so, hoe do you do that on a D90? Ta

Quickest way is to hold down the ISO button on the left of the LCD and rotate the wheel to change it.

Back