weekly Dark's 52 - Week 14 Entrance added

Wow that's a shiny eye-teaser, nice processing and interesting shot (y)

a tongue-twister for the eye - very nice

you have a really good selection of photos there I am impressed

Bit of an optical illusion going on here, love it :D

Week 9 - Money - Late post

2 shots for this, an old and a new.

royal_exchange_by_danleach-d4sni0n.jpg

The 1st shot is of the Royal Exchange in the City of London which was founded in 1565 by Sir Thomas Gresham to act as a centre of commerce.

lloyds_building___london_by_danleach-d4sni54.jpg

The 2nd is Lloyds Banking Group building in London.

Shiny - really like that shot. Actually I like all of them.
Don't quite understand your comment ref HDR - is this B&W HDR?? MIke

Mike thanks for the comments.
Yes this a B&W HDR. Although I used 1 original shot and adjusted the exposures in RAW to get a -2 , 0, 2 bracket. Used the HDR process to bring out the detailing in the reflections of the glass and mirror. I then converted to B&W to up the contrast and bring out the textures further.

To everyone else, also thank you for your kinds words :) I quite like the abstract nature of shiny so glad you do to, I think it has some interesting lines etc.

Last edited:
Like your shiny shot, very abstract.
Great angle used and lovely reflections.
The B&W works great on this shot to.

I'm playing catch up this week due to not coming up with anything I was happy with for Shiny and won't post the one I have come up with last night 'til I've gone through everyone elses.

I'm confused, where's the shiny shot as it looks to me that you've posted 2 money pictures and the second one happens to be shiny? :thinking:

Shiny - Nice use of B&W. I like it.

Money - The old one seems fairly flat plus you've just clipped the top of the building. #2 though is spot on the money (forgive the pun). Great shot and you seemed to have handled the exposure really well.

Homemade

6865961906_8629cfdbe6_c.jpg

Some of the Easter eggs which are part of the the Faberge Big Egg hunt, there's over 200 of them around london at the mo. I was at Canary wharf today and could only find 4! (apparently there's 11 around CW)

Vice, liking the idea but as said the backgrounds distracting, not only the shadow of the bottle but theres something odd on the left too. was there strong light shining through the glass of beer as there appears to be a "ghost" of the glass to the left?

Nice shot and good idea, something to the left which is a little distracting but easily rectified.

Yes I'm finding the odd shadows distracting too, especially on the left, and its made worse by the fact youve extended the canvas to the right, and can see the join very clearly. In fact im not too sure about the extended background anyway; i think this is the rule of thirds applied unecessarily. I like everything else about it though :)

Magical on the other hand is perfect! Love it!

Last edited:
Movement - Nice the movement really works for this theme

Fear - Good idea, not 'feary' enough for me

Sigh - Nice work

Sweet - Jelly Babies all the way :p

Industry - Fits perfectly and good PP - watch out for dust spots though

Shiny - Wonderful loads of interest in this

Money - The first shot works best I think

Homemade - Interesting nice triptych

Vice - It would have been better to get all the brand name into the shot.

Great images though, well done :)

Hi Dan

totally love both your images for Money.....great processing on the 1st...& even better on the 2nd....I'm a sucker for HDR & you've done both these really well :clap:

The triptych for Home made works really well with each image nice n sharp (y)

Vice...simple , straight to the point , great sharpness ...just that mark to the left that draws the eye a little..but good work none the less :clap:

Hi Dan, i really like both of these, but i think if pushed i would go for number 2, purely because i like the glimpse of the outside world in it, and i find the post in the centre of one distracting, the mono processing really lends to the the almost futuristic feel of these

Dan, wonderful shots! I think number 2 has the edge, just, as the symmetry is off by just enough to delegate number one to second place, but it's still a great shot! How the heck did you get it without anyone in the foreground?

Vice - nice shot, echo other comments regarding the background, also for me would've made the shot to get some fizz in the cider in the glass, it just seems a little flat to me.

Entrance - now they are stunning. Of the 2 my preference would be the 2nd, I can certainly see that on a canvas.

Hi Dan, i really like both of these, but i think if pushed i would go for number 2, purely because i like the glimpse of the outside world in it, and i find the post in the centre of one distracting, the mono processing really lends to the the almost futuristic feel of these

Thanks Lizzy, I was quite happy with the processing. I had to use HDR to get the detail inside the station and the light coming through, otherwise the range was just too much! I agree the pillar in the middle is a bit of a pain but I think the roof may fall down without :D

Dan, wonderful shots! I think number 2 has the edge, just, as the symmetry is off by just enough to delegate number one to second place, but it's still a great shot! How the heck did you get it without anyone in the foreground?

Thanks South. Was taken on a sunday so was a bit quieter than normal. Apart from that I was just loitering for a good 5-10 mins waiting for a quiet spell. I'm surprised I wasn't told to move on by a member of staff!

Vice - nice shot, echo other comments regarding the background, also for me would've made the shot to get some fizz in the cider in the glass, it just seems a little flat to me.

Entrance - now they are stunning. Of the 2 my preference would be the 2nd, I can certainly see that on a canvas.

Thanks Snorton. I completely agree with your comment re fiz, originally my plan was a macro shot of something fizzy however the magners just didn't have any fizz! Maybe it was the temperature/condensation but it just wasn't working...

Like both of those, the b+w works very well indeed.

Loving all the shots......loving Entrance version 2....only because I feel picture 1 is slightly off central....

Michael, Fullfast, thank you for your comments :)

i like the 2nd one best works really well in black and white

Dan
Like both you entrance shot, number 1 for me. The mono adds to the shot.
Only issue would be if you took 2 steps to the left you could have got the column in the centre of the escalator

Darren

Entrance #1 for me. Liking it a lot...the vastness is great. As Darren said, a step to he left to nail the symmetry would be great.

For me, I'd like to see a slightly slower shutter speed to blur the people, or even get rid of them all together. Bet this would work great as a subtle B&W HDR.

Cheers.

Great work Dan, really like both of these.
The subject really suits the B&W treatment.
If #1 was symmetrical, it would be perfect IMHO. That large post would not be as noticeable if it was central I think. I agree with all suggestions above, especially the B&W HDR idea. Iain

Back