Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

A few shots of reflections and through shop windows. I tried some different processing in LIghtroom. I've been playing around with trying to get a cinematic look but haven't found a tutorial that has resonated with me yet. I included one image of Robson Square which has a glass geodesic dome covering what becomes an ice rink in the winter.

Aug 28-21 (1 of 2)-7.jpgAug 28-21 (1 of 1)-5.jpgAug 28-21 (1 of 2)-6.jpgAug 28-21 (1 of 2).jpgAug 28-21 (1 of 1)-4.jpg

I think I prefer #2 as the clock gives you something to focus on. The other shots have more distractions. Nice collection all the same.

I think I prefer #2 as the clock gives you something to focus on. The other shots have more distractions. Nice collection all the same.
Yes, I don't disagree Helen. It was a toss up for me between #1 and #2.

Glass
It's #1 and #4 for me, but #1 it's really good, so it's the right choice for the main thread.

Messing around with blending sharp images with ICM images of the same scene and then taking it to a bit of the extreme in Nik Color Efex Pro 4 :cool:

Sept 04-21 (1 of 1).jpg

Really like this. The effect works really well. I can feel a magpie swooping in to pinch the idea :)

That's how i imagine things look when your drunk.

Really like this. The effect works really well. I can feel a magpie swooping in to pinch the idea :)
:D Thanks Ian. Always flattering to hear someone wanting to try out something based on one of my images!

Snapper choice
I like the effect you've got there. I works pretty well, good colours too.
Thanks Dominic!

That's how i imagine things look when your drunk.
Or on the Downtown East side...

Love the effect on the picture it looks like the aftermath of a good night out!
Thanks Simon!

Cool effect. Works really well with that alleyway I feel, due to the colours.
Thanks Tim!

Couldn't really decide between the two. I eventually when with the straight out unnatural depiction of a natural object.

Sept 13-21 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

The unnatural ending to an unnatural path...

Sept 13-21 (1 of 1).jpg

Like the metal flower, especially like the colour deep dark reds. I like the take on the theme of the dead end path though, it has that story element about it, "what's behind the fence, where does it go?"

I like the effect on your snappers choice - it really gives a point of focus in the distance.
#1 would be my choice too.

Like the metal flower, especially like the colour deep dark reds. I like the take on the theme of the dead end path though, it has that story element about it, "what's behind the fence, where does it go?"
Thanks Rob.

As Rob says, #2 begs a question. it also utilises leading lines.
But i tend to agree, #1 would have been my choice too I think.
Thanks Tim.

I like the effect on your snappers choice - it really gives a point of focus in the distance.
#1 would be my choice too.
Thank you Helen.

Have we seen these flowers on the fence before? they look a bit familiar!
Not sure where you've seen them Joan. I went through my images and I don't think that I've shot them before for this forum. Maybe someone else from Vancouver?

Unnatural
I'd go with the rose. I really like the colour.
Thank you Dominic

I think the first fits the theme perfectly. I also like the colours.

Really love your snapper's choice. The colours work really well.
Thanks Bebop!

Fabulous colours in your root vegetables. Is the pale one also a carrot? I vaguely remember having a pale root vegetable in Germany but cannot remember the name of it.
I really like the acorn shot.

Good stuff - and another vote for the acorn!

Fabulous colours in your root vegetables. Is the pale one also a carrot? I vaguely remember having a pale root vegetable in Germany but cannot remember the name of it.
I really like the acorn shot.
Thanks Bebop, to be honest I don't know what it is. These carrots(?) were laid out on the table in a city community garden that I sometimes stroll through with no-one around and I thought that they would make a nice image.

Good stuff - and another vote for the acorn!
Thanks Dave!

I like the acorn shot a lot, the tones suit the way the focus falls off.
Thank you Nick.

Another vote for the acorn shot I think.
I feel like it's a case of "less is more".
Thanks Tim, seems like the "nuts" have it!

For me, the one you picked is the right one. I always found it hard isolating 'shrooms from their background, but you certainly managed it there!

Nice set and my favourite is the one you chose.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I’m not sure they’re out round here - plus I’m isolating at the minute

Natural
A good variety of root veg. It's been nicely processed.

Autumn
I like the first shot the most.
Good subdued colours and light. The oof mushrooms in the background add some depth to the shot.

I went looking for fungi at the weekend, I wasn't hopeful as it hasn't rained here for quite awhile. As it turns out, I was right, there aren't any fungi about here. Oh well, I'm sure they'll pop up when the weather changes.

It had never occurred to me that mushrooms were seasonal, I was convinced I'd seen them at all times of the year (except the winter). Everyday is a school day.
Nicely separated from the background. I think, though, #2 for me. Though I can't exactly say why.

For me, the one you picked is the right one. I always found it hard isolating 'shrooms from their background, but you certainly managed it there!
Thanks Ian, mushrooms are one of my favourite subjects to shoot...so....lots of practice
I do like a mushroom shot!
Thanks Simon, me too!

Nice set and my favourite is the one you chose.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I’m not sure they’re out round here - plus I’m isolating at the minute
Thanks Bebop, just the start of the season!

Natural
A good variety of root veg. It's been nicely processed.

Autumn
I like the first shot the most.
Good subdued colours and light. The oof mushrooms in the background add some depth to the shot.

I went looking for fungi at the weekend, I wasn't hopeful as it hasn't rained here for quite awhile. As it turns out, I was right, there aren't any fungi about here. Oh well, I'm sure they'll pop up when the weather changes.
Thank you Dominic, cross you fingers for rain.

It had never occurred to me that mushrooms were seasonal, I was convinced I'd seen them at all times of the year (except the winter). Everyday is a school day.
Nicely separated from the background. I think, though, #2 for me. Though I can't exactly say why.
Thanks Tim, they tend to disappear around here during the summer and the dead of winter. With the cooler, wetter weather of spring the start to show up everywhere.

I like your chosen shot best - the wider angle gives a lovely derelict context to the photo

I like your chosen shot best - the wider angle gives a lovely derelict context to the photo
Thanks Simon. It's two images (panorama) then cropped down.
Hi Bill, the shot you choose I feel is the best, but what a dump.

Pete
Thanks Pete, a dump...but a dump with personality!

Three good shots for the theme. I rather like the middle one with the steps leading to them.
Thanks Bebop, I almost chose that one for the lead but decided to go with down and dirty instead :D

Architecture (downtown Vancouver):

Oct 09-21 (1 of 2).jpgOct 09-21 (1 of 1)-11.jpgOct 09-21 (1 of 2)-3.jpg

And some interior shots of Waterfront station which is the terminus station for both the Skytrain and the Seabus. It was opened ion August 1, 1914 and was originally the Pacific terminus for the CPR's transcontinental passenger trains to Montreal, Quebec and Toronto.

Oct 09-21 (1 of 1)-4.jpgOct 09-21 (1 of 1)-5.jpg

Back