Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

In the first one are you standing at the top of a wall of water cascading down?

In the first one are you standing at the top of a wall of water cascading down?
Not on a wall. the courtyard is sunken and you can stand on the sidewalk above to shoot down. This shot from the other side might give you a better idea:

July 05-21 (1 of 1)-7.jpg

Second shot for me. I have no idea why, but I really like it, there something about the presence of that pick up truck that makes it.

Last edited:
Indigenous art installation at Vancouver International Airport. This carving is part of a two-piece installation by Richard Hunt. You can find a description of it here

July 12-21 (1 of 2).jpgJuly 12-21 (2 of 2).jpg

Looks good :)

Interesting installation - beats the usual UK airport (if I can even recall what they look like ;) )

Interesting installation - beats the usual UK airport (if I can even recall what they look like ;) )
Thanks Helen, yes, one of a number of West Coast Indigenous art installations at the airport. There's a huge bronze casting by Bill Reid that is spectacular.

That's a crashed airliner from pre-historic days isn't it? ;)
A great bit of art to have available to shoot !
Thanks Tim, I was trying for the seal's perspective with the second one (just before becoming a meal...).

Those B&W images are beautiful, esp the 1st. Could easily see it as a big wall print. The last has that sliver of a stalk up the LH edge, and the black stamen(?) on the bottom edge as minor distractions but is also a lovely exploration of tone & shape.

Love the chosen one. I do like a dahlia too - I’ve got loads like that, although your photo is probably much better than mine!

I have to agree that the mono images are the most pleasing for me. Nice set.

Those B&W images are beautiful, esp the 1st. Could easily see it as a big wall print. The last has that sliver of a stalk up the LH edge, and the black stamen(?) on the bottom edge as minor distractions but is also a lovely exploration of tone & shape.

I like the one you chose. Such subtlety and good tones.

Plant
Quite like the two black and whites. They're quite abstract.

#4 in particular for me. There's something in the curves that really brings it alive.

The mono images are my favourite too.. very subtle and nicely composed.

I have to agree that the mono images are the most pleasing for me. Nice set.

I think #4 for me. It's different / not something I've seen before.

I like the mono images too. Very nice!

Plants
Nice variety in the images really like the B&W one's. The first one has an ethereal quality about it.

Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated!

Time to play catch-up with my posting! :D
I managed to get out each week and take some shots, just have been too tired at the end of the day to post...
Anyways...

Dominating: the urban landscape

July 25-21 (1 of 1)-6.jpg

Snapper's choice (only got out once that week but I kind of like this shot):

aug (1 of 1).jpg

Nice take on the theme and a good composition with lines and shapes :)

Catch up
Dominating
Good composition, skyscrapers are definitely dominating.

Snappers choice
Good symmetry, the arches do lead the eye down through the picture.

Hands
Thinking outside of the box, I love the idea.

Catch up
Dominating
Good composition, skyscrapers are definitely dominating.

Snappers choice
Good symmetry, the arches do lead the eye down through the picture.

Hands
Thinking outside of the box, I love the idea.
Thank you Dominic

I haven't had a 1629254582401.png in a long while and this is a MEGA-shoehorn...I saw the umbrella and wanted to get a better shot but while I was struggling to get my settings right, she kept getting FURther away...:cool:

aug 16 (1 of 1)-5.jpg

#Groooooooooooan

Yup... that's certainly a stretch (and I thought mine was bad this time.. ) It's worth it for an interesting street shot - wet works so well in mono.

I really like this. Nice tidy composition that's in-close enough to be almost abstract and yet it isn't. Works really well.

Dominating
There certainly is some impressive structures in every city, the value per square foot must be eye wateringly high.

Snapper's Choice
It's a really interesting image with a great choice for the theme.

Hands
Looks a very complicated game, the reflection helps keep interest in the image. It's a different take on the theme.

Fur
Other than shoehorned, I tried finding another connection to the theme but failed :)

Clean
I'm seeing it both in close up and abstract as I look through the image. Did you try it in mono, it looks like there a interesting tones that might work well.

I really like this. Nice tidy composition that's in-close enough to be almost abstract and yet it isn't. Works really well.
Thanks Ian. For a last-minute grab I think it worked out okay.
Great composition - it's almost abstract.
Thanks Helen!
Dominating
There certainly is some impressive structures in every city, the value per square foot must be eye wateringly high.

Snapper's Choice
It's a really interesting image with a great choice for the theme.

Hands
Looks a very complicated game, the reflection helps keep interest in the image. It's a different take on the theme.

Fur
Other than shoehorned, I tried finding another connection to the theme but failed :)

Clean
I'm seeing it both in close up and abstract as I look through the image. Did you try it in mono, it looks like there a interesting tones that might work well.
Thanks Stuart, I tried the "clean" image both in colour and b&w but ended up liking the colour reflected off the spoon.

Back