Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

An artificial landscape. Downtown Vancouver shot from the North Shore with barges and scooters thrown in for good measure...

May 27 (1 of 1)-19.jpg

Patterns, patterns, patterns...

May 29 (1 of 2)-5.jpg
May 29 (2 of 2)-2.jpgMay 29 (1 of 2)-4.jpg1 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Ooh lots of lovely patterns, all meeting the theme. Very much like no. 1. No,2 has lots of interest - really like that also, with the sunlit area leading us through the frame. The last looks like it has a little glow or maybe halo around the top, or perhaps it's my screen? Well spotted on all images.

Some fab patterns there! No2 would be my pick.

Ooh lots of lovely patterns, all meeting the theme. Very much like no. 1. No,2 has lots of interest - really like that also, with the sunlit area leading us through the frame. The last looks like it has a little glow or maybe halo around the top, or perhaps it's my screen? Well spotted on all images.
Thanks Bebop. The halo is actually the cloud and sky. I desaturated the aluminum siding but left the blue slider alone. This image might provide some context:
May 27 (1 of 1)-7.jpg

Thanks Bebop. The halo is actually the cloud and sky. I desaturated the aluminum siding but left the blue slider alone. This image might provide some context:
View attachment 319885
Oh interesting! I would never have imagined it would have shops or something underneath!
I rather like it SOOC. Would work as B&W too.

I've been playing with glow in Nik Efex recently and your processed one looked a bit like the glow you get in there, I thought :)

Patterns
I like them all. The first is my pick, I would like it even more if that bit of building wasn't there on the left, but there's not a lot you could do I suppose.

Oh interesting! I would never have imagined it would have shops or something underneath!
I rather like it SOOC. Would work as B&W too.

I've been playing with glow in Nik Efex recently and your processed one looked a bit like the glow you get in there, I thought :)
Thanks Bebop, I use Nik Efex a lot (the old free standalone Google version). The building is actually an art gallery, very cool inside as well.

Patterns
I like them all. The first is my pick, I would like it even more if that bit of building wasn't there on the left, but there's not a lot you could do I suppose.
Thanks Dominc, yeah and I couldn't photoshop it out because I like the lens flare.

Playing catchup with posting. The images were all within the timeframe I just haven't had the time or energy to post.

Here is my close-up posting (plus some bonus shots) :)

jun 09-21 (1 of 1)-3.jpgjun 09-21 (1 of 1)-9.jpgjun 09-21 (1 of 1)-8.jpgjun 09-21 (1 of 1)-5.jpg

Personal, I don't think that I've taken this off in 30+ years...

jun 09-21 (1 of 1)-12.jpg

Nice simple shot- the dof works well :)

Might not even be able to get it off now, certainly a personal item. My ex-wife sold mine; oddly, I never received the money from the sale :grumpy:

Might not even be able to get it off now, certainly a personal item. My ex-wife sold mine; oddly, I never received the money from the sale :grumpy:
Thanks Martin, thankfully I haven't had try to take it off.

Nice & simple as said above, and also very personal. Works well!

Up Close - I really like the second shot, but I'd have chopped the top off it. Might have had to tilt it too to lose the railing. The water on the poppy is just beautiful. Your chosen one is very nice too and fits the theme probably a little better than the poppy :)

Personal - perfect for the theme. Depth of field draws the eye in nicely.

Thanks Bebop, the second one was a favourite for me as well but I liked the tug boat in the background just to give some context.

Yep that works Bill (y)

Artificial
You have managed to capture interesting elements in the fore, mid and background. I'm presuming you needed to time the shot to have the boats at either side, unless they were stationary.

Patterns
Great images, all more than meeting the theme, I think number 2 is my favourite for the variety of shapes.

Up close
I like the third one most, it has more of a up close feel, it also has a pleasant out of focus area.

Personal
On theme, nice DOF with the focused area filling the right amount of the frame.

Green
Good capture and well spotted, I like the green centre of the flower too just to tie the scene together.

Yep that works Bill (y)
Thanks Cobra.

Artificial
You have managed to capture interesting elements in the fore, mid and background. I'm presuming you needed to time the shot to have the boats at either side, unless they were stationary.

Patterns
Great images, all more than meeting the theme, I think number 2 is my favourite for the variety of shapes.

Up close
I like the third one most, it has more of a up close feel, it also has a pleasant out of focus area.

Personal
On theme, nice DOF with the focused area filling the right amount of the frame.

Green
Good capture and well spotted, I like the green centre of the flower too just to tie the scene together.
Thanks Stuart.

Personal
Good use of dof, it draws the eye exactly where you want it to be.

Green
That works well.
Thank you Dominic

Lovely detail and soft colour. The square crop suits the composition.
Thanks Helen.

Green - I like the framing and on theme. You've got the depth of field just right.
Thank you Bebop.

Travelling this week to the other side of the Province. First chance I've had to post.
I was asked to shoot these ladies practicing their "silent" dancing and the first image is of the instructor. She has a transmitter that connects to her phone and broadcasts the music to special headsets. it allows them to dance in any space with no fear of breaching noise bylaws.
It was a very hot, sunny day and they danced in the shade of some trees.

1 (1 of 1).jpg2 (1 of 1).jpg4.jpg3.jpg5.jpg

Thanks Bebop, yes you're right, you can see them "in the moment", The interesting thing about the headphones is that the ladies are completely immersed in the music, to the point that I don't think they even see me taking the pictures. I probably shot about about 1500 images in total with about 300 edited and posted on Facebook for them.

Some fascinating shots of the dancers... it's hard to pick one as they all have their merits.

Some fascinating shots of the dancers... it's hard to pick one as they all have their merits.
Thanks Helen, I get asked to shoot these ladies regularly, they have a great time and are all good dancers.

Some of my favourite "look down" spots in downtown Vancouver:

July 05-21 (2 of 2)-3.jpgJuly 05-21 (1 of 1).jpgJuly 05-21 (2 of 2).jpg

Looking down
I really like the second shot. It's quite simple, but you're nearly looking straight down. It's also well balanced.

Back