Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

Very nice Bill. I'd be inclined to lose a little off the top to emphasise the length of the pier but that's very much my opinion :)

Nice minimalist type image and sitting the horizon on halfway looks very pleasing to the eye, particularly given the sign advertising the length of the pier, it really emphasises that.

I do love a long exposure. Like this shot a lot.. nice lead in line and reflections.

Nice scene and another vote for the top crop to bring the horizon onto the top third line :)

that does look very tranquil thanks to the long exposure great start to the year

Very nice Bill. I'd be inclined to lose a little off the top to emphasise the length of the pier but that's very much my opinion :)
Thanks Ian, I did play around with the crop but I ended up liking that flare of light in the upper portion of the image. I did take some other long exposures of a different pier where it cropped them exactly like your suggesting (and for the same reason)

Dec 31-20 (19 of 31).jpg

Nice minimalist type image and sitting the horizon on halfway looks very pleasing to the eye, particularly given the sign advertising the length of the pier, it really emphasises that.
Thanks JIm.

Very nice image Bill, agree with Ian on maybe bring the top down a bit. Lovely image.
Thanks FD.

I do love a long exposure. Like this shot a lot.. nice lead in line and reflections.
Thank you Helen, I haven't been out shooting long exposures in a while and it was fun getting back to it.

The long exposure really has smoothed the water here.
How long is that pier?
Thanks Tim, it's 470 meters long.

Nice scene and another vote for the top crop to bring the horizon onto the top third line :)
Thanks Dave, I give up. I'll post a re-edited version below.

Hi @Darkslinger

That's a quality image (y) ... good start, looking forward to more.
Thanks David.

This is amazing. Love the long exposure on the water and how it makes the image feel so calm. So good!
Thank you Roxanne, I appreciate the kind words.

that does look very tranquil thanks to the long exposure great start to the year
Thanks minx.

Very good, love the tones in the image
Thank you Allan.

And I like the re-edit. Question is - which one do you prefer - because that's what's important.

A nice tranquil start Bill (y)

Odd how people's perspectives differ, I would have preferred MORE sky to bring more attention to the start of the pier.

Nice start to 2021 Bill, I am a lover of long exposure so was drawn to this one straight away.

What a beautiful shot to start off with! I actually prefer the original crop, to me there's a greater sense of space and scale.

For me, the original is a much better crop as it just seems more balanced. Lovely set of images there.
Thanks Jim. My preference was for the original but I can see the argument for the edited version.

And I like the re-edit. Question is - which one do you prefer - because that's what's important.
LOL, it is all about garnering the most votes isn't Ian? :D

A nice tranquil start Bill (y)
Thanks Phissy.

Odd how people's perspectives differ, I would have preferred MORE sky to bring more attention to the start of the pier.
I agree Martin, but I guess, ultimately, we only have to please ourselves...

Nice picture - edited version for me. I like how the water has been smoothed but not robbed of all detail - perfect long exposure for me!
Thanks Shug, I'm still learning the new system but I was happy with the output.

I love this long exposure, I quite like the edited version but the original is my favourite. So calm :)
Thanks Tom!

I think I prefer the edited version, but I'm a big fan of the last one you posted. Just so minimal.
Thanks Kell, I'm a fan of minimalist images myself. I've shot this area a number of times but managed to catch the fog that morning which blurred out the shoreline that you usually see on the horizon.

What a fabulous tranquil scene, I love the long exposure .... super additional shots too, I find them mesmerising
Thank you Susie. The bird shot is one of my favs.

Nice start to 2021 Bill, I am a lover of long exposure so was drawn to this one straight away.
Thanks Heather.

What a beautiful shot to start off with! I actually prefer the original crop, to me there's a greater sense of space and scale.
Thanks Nick that is in line with my original thought for the image.

Fantastic leading lines and well composed scene. The minimalist extra one you added (last one) is great
Thank you Stuart!

Not a style that is in my wheelhouse but I'm happy enough with the results :)

1 fruit (3 of 4).jpg

I don't mind the fork there, but who uses one to eat orange segments. Segment is nice and sharp, plenty of detail against the OOF background. An interesting shot.

Pete

yep - works very well :)

fruit
Looks good to me. I like that you got the fork tines poking through the segment and the focus is in just the right place with a good use of dof.

Oh that works well: four prongs through an orange segment. Focus spot on!

(y)
A nice idea but would have preferred it without the fork. Nice DoF and framing.
I actually like the fork, it makes the image more interesting... and..... ouch!
I don't mind the fork there, but who uses one to eat orange segments. Segment is nice and sharp, plenty of detail against the OOF background. An interesting shot.

Pete
I’m not sure about the fork, I think it would be fine without it, excellent focus though,
I too was pondering the use of a fork for eating oranges, but I agree it makes it different so more interesting.
also quite cool the way the fork disappears into darkness yet everything around it has some light.
yep - works very well :)
fruit
Looks good to me. I like that you got the fork tines poking through the segment and the focus is in just the right place with a good use of dof.
Really interesting shot! I love it
The fork is a great addition and adds lots of interest. DoF is excellent. Really like this.

Thank you all for your comments.
I'm thinking "two in a row"...two submissions where the commentary was very split on an element of the image.
I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing or is just indicative of how each of us has different points of view. I do like it when any image I produce sparks some debate and discussion.
And to Pete and Tim, I only use a fork to each oranges when I'm working on my computer and don't want to end up with sticky keys :D

Nice use of DoF
The fork is fine by me too.

The focus is right where you want it and the fork is an interesting inclusion

Back