Did You Give Your Children Unusual Names?

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I was just reading that Sarah Willingham is leaving Dragon's Den. According to the article I read, her children are called Jamelle, Callinette, Ronan and Samuella.

Unusual names! Pretentious?

Were you adventurous in your name choices or bit more traditional?

Who's going to be called Salmonella at school?

Does 'Tanya' count? She was the only one in her school.

Quite traditional....
Stephen Charles
And Sarah Caroline

Stephen was a new name in the family , Caroline had not been used for some tine in the family
Sarah is the root name of my mothers name Sadie. And Charles was my wifes fathers name.

Nothing wrong with the name Ronan.
Hardly new.

My kids all have normal names.

Hannah, Fiona, Ryan, James (Jamie)

I quite like whacky names though.

I didn't but my parents did .

I was fifteen before I found out my name wasn't " you f*****g little b*****d "

And with six kids ,ten grandkids ,and three great Grandkids I do tend to get a bit confusedimacated

Traditional. Christopher Donald and Samantha Elizabeth. My father and grandfather were both Donald, and it's my grandson's middle name.

Nearest I did to unusual is Robyn (Bob in the family mostly)

She really didn't like it when she was young, but she's growing in to it. (I didn't like my name growing up either - as about 30% of the kids I knew) :oops: :$

Nearest I did to unusual is Robyn (Bob in the family mostly)

She really didn't like it when she was young, but she's growing in to it. (I didn't like my name growing up either - as about 30% of the kids I knew) :oops: :$

That's my daughter's name too.

We decided to be different and give them normal names. Matthew and Melissa. Although after a Section and some strong painkillers Matthew was nearly Mathew as I forgot how to spell.

My youngest is Augustus but known as Gus to everyone. Apart from being born in August there is was no reason for choosing it and it was never discussed prior to birth as he was going to be called Charlton until then. My other 2 are Harry and Daniel so it is a bit different.

My wife's brother in law called his kids Ruby and Jade but they are known as the "stones"

Were you adventurous in your name choices or bit more traditional?
I don't have children. Were I to have a daughter I might want to copy Felicia Day and name her Calliope though. That would be very traditional, being one of the muses from Greek mythology. Or Emma, from the novel of the same name.

Having a rather unusual second name, I spent my whole school years as avoiding telling anyone what it was...... I feel sorry for those kids with 'odd' names.

If anyone one is interested, I am at peace with my second name now ..... it's Ansley

No children ourselves, but the in-laws side has a few interesting choices (somewhat old fashioned English names have been popular in Germany for a while). But.. nothing compared to those handed out by Jamie Oliver..

Our Daughter is a Heidi very unusual in the late 70's but no she was Heidi then and still is Heidi now

I went the traditional route with my sons. Jamie's real name is James and Alex is Alexander. Though Alex's middle name is quite a rare one, Brannon.

Our kids names are not overly common but equally not pretentious.

Our son is called Seth (middle name Stephen)
Our daughter is called Samia (middle name Rose Catherine)

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Daughter is a Heidi very unusual in the late 70's but no she was Heidi then and still is Heidi now
I recall a children's TV show around that time about a girl living in the Alps.

Another with no children ourselves, but my sister's name is Christelle, which I think isn't a popular name now and even more so, when she was born in 1963. IIRC my mother said it was from German heritage, I can't remember where she got the name from though.

@Alastair is Christelle a German name you have heard of?

@Alastair is Christelle a German name you have heard of?
I'm afraid I don't know anyone by that name in any country, and a quick IMDB/Wiki search suggests it's more popular in France and French speaking countries. But it could depend when/where in Germany your family connections were, there's a lot of German-French overlap in Alsace for example.

My son is called Evan which is traditionally Welsh but we're Scottish and chose it because we liked it. There's no other Evan's in his primary that i know of but we didn't choose it for any other reason. My three nephews are Laeton, Reagan and Ryan. The first two being a bit more unusual.

Working in finance within Local Government i came across a few silly names and a couple that always stand out were Gerardette and Williamina. I think these people wanted a boy but had a girl and were so p***ed off they refused to change their chosen names and added to them instead.

What annoys me more are people who spell names the way you sound them or the way they're spelled on Facebook. The registrars should let them know in a friendly way that they making a faux pas.

Called my daughter after my paternal grandmother, Constance, (universally known as Connie). It was slightly more unusual twenty years ago than it seems to be now.

Played safe with my son, Thomas (Tom).

My little lad is Dylan, nice and simple (the name, not the child)

When my now ex wife found that she was pregnant I said that if it was a boy I wanted to call him Dylan after Bob Dylan.
Quite an unusual name back then.
No son of mines is going to be called Dylan I was promptly told.
Turned out to be a daughter so we called her Sarah after Bob Dylan's wife (different spelling - she's Sara)
I did manage to call our Cocker Spaniel Dylan so we had Dylan & Sarah after all.
Wish I stuck to my guns when my son was born and called him Dylan but again she said no!!
I still really like the name

And she wonders why we divorced :D

There's a Scottish tradition for middle names that I quite like, for daughters the middle names record the surnames of the female line.
  • First daughter, middle name is the mother's maiden name
  • Second daughter, the middle name is the maternal grandmother's maiden name
  • Third daughter, the middle is the maternal grandmother's mother's maiden name
  • Etc.

Not me, but friends from Ghana name their children according to the day of the week on which they were born as is traditional.
Thus
Kofi: Friday,
Yaw: Thursday,
Kwame: Saturday,
Kojo: Monday.

Each also have a traditional saints name.

We went slightly unusual but not weird; Iris and Edgar.

My wife and I joked about calling the bump (who became Edgar) Aethelstan (one of the ancestors of King Edgar as it happens).

A couple of years later we found out one of the local kids is called... Athelstan. Imagine if there'd been two of them in the same school!

A little of both. Our daughter (deceased) was Sarah Michal, and our son is Benjamin Anton.

Anton is my first name, but we didn't want to just give him the same name and he was Ben-bun (in the oven) during the pregnancy so Benjamin was natural, and when contracted also makes for a pleasing pun (Ben Anton means son of Anton).

Verity Rose and Temple Grey for ours. We had all sorts of names, many unusual, picked out (my other half even suggested Balthazar at one point) but these seemed to suit when we finally met the two little drains on our resources

Verity Rose and Temple Grey for ours. We had all sorts of names, many unusual, picked out (my other half even suggested Balthazar at one point) but these seemed to suit when we finally met the two little drains on our resources
We have a winner! :D

There's a Scottish tradition for middle names that I quite like, for daughters the middle names record the surnames of the female line.
  • First daughter, middle name is the mother's maiden name
  • Second daughter, the middle name is the maternal grandmother's maiden name
  • Third daughter, the middle is the maternal grandmother's mother's maiden name
  • Etc.
That was our problem with our kid's names, both sets of grandparents wanted one of their names used as a middle name. So we ignored them.

I have a friend who had a child which was lucky enough to be born a girl and was named Lilly. If the child was a boy, he would have been called Steerforth.

Steve.

Back