Did You Give Your Children Unusual Names?

A relation called their girl "Hadley" ( Fairly recent addition to the family)
I would have thought
1) that's a great name for a dog
2) That's a great name for a boy
3) shouldn't it be spelt Hadleigh ( or similar) for a girl?

Last edited:
My friend Alison's kids are called Avery and Ainsley. Both girls.

King Herod's wife was called Doris. :eek:

My friend Alison's kids are called Avery and Ainsley. Both girls.
On balance that's not so bad.

.. Sorry, that should be "On a balance, that's not so bad"

:D

I would have thought

Confuscius; Man who not know difference between 'there' and 'their' should not question spelling choices. ;)

I would have thought

Both are correct, for a boy or a girl, and as a given name or surname. It probably originated long before standardised spelling, which is a fairly modern concept that hasn't achieved universal acceptance yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's face it, any name, spelled any way is OK, really.
Personally, I find the practice of two or more "given" names slightly pointless.

My dad wanted to call me Sebastian but my mum wouldn't let him. Not sure if I'd have liked it. It was after the cockney rebel song.

i've a Chelsea ( the ex picked it, i used to call her accrington stanley to wind her up), a Jake and a Lucy Jake is named after Jake blues, Lucy his twin if a boy would of been Elwood...

they have a friend from school called Rainbow

A mate of mine named his son, Montgomery.

Looking back in my family tree there was a female relative called, Mahalla. o_O

The old names are starting to become even more fashionable again. I heard of a baby called Ethel, fairly recently.

My daughter is Katherine and she has named her 2 dons William and Edward aka Bill and Ted.

My son is Xavier (pronounced as zay) wanted to be away from all the common names. He was 4 just before christmas, only heard one other child with the same name, but pronounced differently. My daughter is Caitlin, here it everywhere..

Cool, getting an 'x' in a name!

Looking back in my family tree there was a female relative called, Mahalla. o_O
I'd never heard of Mahalla as a name until recently, but whilst it's unusual it does seem to have a strong connection locally - I now know of several women with that name in the area and it crops up a lot in historical records.

Cheeky mod editing at play!
Just correcting "predictive text" that conspires against me. In fact phones are coming to life and saying what they want to say, not what we want to say.
"Rise of the machines" anyone? :p

My son is Xavier (pronounced as zay)
I work with a guy ( mid 30's) same name same pronunciation.

Have we all begotten the so called celebs and their "fashionable" kids names from a few years ago?

My two are Oliver and Heidi.

Fairly uncommon at the time, but not so now.
Our Daughter is a Heidi very unusual in the late 70's but no she was Heidi then and still is Heidi now
I've got a Heidi too! She's only 6 but we don't know of any other children in the area with the same name so whilst it's not unusual it's still fairly uncommon.
It was funny when she was born seeing how many relatives couldn't spell the name when sending us congratulatory messages.

Have we all begotten the so called celebs and their "fashionable" kids names from a few years ago?

Did you, by any chance, mean to say 'forgotten'? Predictive text again!

I've got a Heidi too! She's only 6 but we don't know of any other children in the area with the same name so whilst it's not unusual it's still fairly uncommon.
It was funny when she was born seeing how many relatives couldn't spell the name when sending us congratulatory messages.

I've known a couple of girls called Heidi, and both had a German parent. I think the name comes from the old German language group and migrated into English and, possibly, French.

Did you, by any chance, mean to say 'forgotten'?
FFS! I must read stuff twice before hitting send :(
Although it kinds works anyway ;)

As one whose parents chose to give me an unusual first (mine is more commonly used as a surname) name all I can say is 'Parents don't do it!' Even at the age of 64 I'm embarrassed by the fact that I've had to spend my life telling people 'No, I'm not being formal or stand-offish, that is my first name.' An unusual name might look cute on a baby in a cot but cute babies grow up & go to school & work - it's then that the unusual first name will probably be a big hindrance to them.

I'd never heard of Mahalla as a name until recently, but whilst it's unusual it does seem to have a strong connection locally - I now know of several women with that name in the area and it crops up a lot in historical records.

It was when I was first researching my family tree that I came across it & wondered were it had originated. (think I mis-spelled it above with ll, rather than just one l)
Seems it's of Hebrew or Arabic origin.

Alastair, which local area does it have a strong connection in?

American Meaning:
The name Mahala is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Mahala is: Woman.

It was when I was first researching my family tree that I came across it & wondered were it had originated. (think I mis-spelled it above with ll, rather than just one l)
Seems it's of Hebrew or Arabic origin.

Alastair, which local area does it have a strong connection in?

American Meaning:
The name Mahala is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Mahala is: Woman.

If you dig a little deeper than the top of page one whilst googling, there are several other accepted Native American meanings. ;)

Did someone say something about reading stuff twice before hitting send?
That is really weird it definitely said kinda as I hit send :thinking:

Shoulda gone to Spudulike!

I would have thought

We have family in the US that have a little girl called Hadley. I'd never heard of it before but apparently it's an old English name.

My two have very normal names: Tom and Holly. When we part of the NCT, there were another couple with children called Velvet (girl) and Maverick (boy). I've heard the boy calls himself Ricky these days, poor kid.

My little girl is Natiya with Mae as middle name.

Worked with families over the years where there have been some strange names given to children. These have been as diverse as Nike & Timberland (twins), Satan (changed on the advice of the court) and Milly Molly....... It was never dull in those days.

I'd never heard of it before but apparently it's an old English name.
A quick google suggests
  • Hadley (name), an English name, most commonly a surname.
  • What does Hadley mean? Heather field
Who knew?

My cousin named his daughter Hannah-lilly. A colleague asked me on Friday what I thought of for kids names, I told her my son was originally planned to be Toby Lee, but I now thought it too middle class mail reader. She then told me of her sister in law's plan to name her kids Eban and Sol. That sparked a whole evening of trying to find a guy called Exuperius Pickering, whose name I couldn't recall although it's memorable enough. We should totally bring back wacky Victorian names.

Back