Did You Give Your Children Unusual Names?

Adam and Sarah (definitely with an h). They both seem to like their names, so I guess we were responsible parents.
Matt(hew if I am being formal)

My daughters taught at a variety of schools as a new teacher. She's had children called Willow, Apple, Crimson, Bliss, Starr

I had a colleague call his children Riley and Morgan (one boy, one girl)

Tarquin fin tin lim bim busstop ftang ftang ole biscuit barrel.

You been overdoing the painkillers for your neck/shoulder, Keith? (See, someone HAS read your update, even if I have no advice to offer.)

My daughters taught at a variety of schools as a new teacher. She's had children called Willow, Apple, Crimson, Bliss, Starr

I had a colleague call his children Riley and Morgan (one boy, one girl)

A colleague's narrow boat and butty were called Riley and Elf

Yep

"Jocasta Diamente" and "Destiny Agulera"

Poor lads!

I have a more unusual name, I was teased at School quite a bit.
Luckily it hasn't really affected me as I am very strong mentally but not everybody is.

Personally I won't be giving my kids an odd name where they could be teased as I know what it feels like.

Tarquin fin tin lim bim busstop ftang ftang ole biscuit barrel.
I was at college with him! [*]

[*] This really is actually true. His name used to be John Lewis, then when he was at college he changed it to something, and then he changed it again and stood in a by-election as "Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel".

Edit: How amazing is Wikipedia? It was the Crosby by-election in November 1981 (my first year at Cambridge) and he stood against the founder of the SDP, Shirley Williams.

Last edited:
Tabitha is a bit unusual I guess. I've just checked with her and she's 18 now says never was mentioned as odd at school. It also has the benefit of being to have domain names or gmail accounts etc without random numbers on the end.

I was at college with him! [*]

[*] This really is actually true. His name used to be John Lewis, then when he was at college he changed it to something, and then he changed it again and stood in a by-election as "Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel.

Our John Lewis used to be Debenhams and before that, Bobby's. It was being built all through Mum's pregnancy while she was carrying me!

The boys name Spencer is not too unusual. And nor is his brother's name. He is called Markus. But together you get the impression the parents were having a laugh.

I have a pair of brothers as friends who are named Marc and Antony. Their parents claimed that it was nothing to do with the Roman. As do the parents of Laura and Ashley, although their non inspiration is a shop!

although my lot have fairly traditional names there is a slight twist that really did happen by coincidence

my first born was named Max , my second Alec , third Richard and fourth Kelly
nothing special about that but the first letters of each name spell my name and it really is by coincidence

It was when I was first researching my family tree that I came across it & wondered were it had originated. (think I mis-spelled it above with ll, rather than just one l)
Seems it's of Hebrew or Arabic origin.

Alastair, which local area does it have a strong connection in?

American Meaning:
The name Mahala is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Mahala is: Woman.
It crops up a fair bit in North/West Norfolk. I came across someone with the name and thought it unusual, then there were a couple of mentions in a local history group that suggest it's been used by fishing families for several generations. More recently I've discovered a couple of grave stones that feature the name.

It's also one of the more obscure biblical names with a Hebrew meaning, https://www.british-genealogy.com/archive/index.php/t-55354.html

I went for traditional names so not unusual but not so common although Theo has now become very common in the last 5 years or so. Rufus my other boy is still uncommon i don't know of any other in my town.

Last edited:
I went for traditional names so not unusual but not so common although Theo has now become very common in the last 5 years or so. Rufus my other boy is still uncommon i don't know of any other in my town.
There's both a Theo and a Rufus at my son's nursery. But we're sooo London we also had an Apollo!

I knew a family that had: John, Paul, and George - It was unintentional but we were all just waiting for them to have a Ringo :ROFLMAO:

My wife being chinese ,she wanted a name that was the same in english as chinese. So our first daughter is Xiu Rong (means calm and peaceful in the heart... though she is far from it) or xiu xiu as we call her. A rather tricky name that hardly anyone can even pounce properly... after that she went simpler and called our second daughter Mia.

No children myself as yet, though we have had brief chats about names, I think we'll likely choose fairly traditional names but we'll see. Unusual names can be interesting, but there are times where it's hard to not think it's just pretentious. Take Jamie Oliver's children for example:

Daisy Boo Pamela
Petal Blossom Rainbow
River Rocket
Buddy Bear Maurice
Poppy Honey Rosie.

I mean, seriously?

No children myself as yet, though we have had brief chats about names, I think we'll likely choose fairly traditional names but we'll see. Unusual names can be interesting, but there are times where it's hard to not think it's just pretentious. Take Jamie Oliver's children for example:

Daisy Boo Pamela
Petal Blossom Rainbow
River Rocket
Buddy Bear Maurice
Poppy Honey Rosie.

I mean, seriously?

Only a couple of the first names are a bit dodgy (but not tragic), and the second and third names are a bit of an irrelevance, as they almost always are.

Only a couple of the first names are a bit dodgy (but not tragic), and the second and third names are a bit of an irrelevance, as they almost always are.

I would agree some of the first names are pretty normal, and maybe the middle names are less important, but collectively that is a group of weird names.

My 6 kids are called Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. If we'd had more they would have been Grumpy and Snow White.

Our daughters name is Myanna. When she was born the midwife said she'd never heard the name before, so fairly "unusual" I guess.

I was talking to my Barber about this thread today and he knows someone that called their boy Aladdin. Only in Liverpool FFS.

Chris

I'm an Alistair, which I've always liked, but I am also half french and the french side of the family have always struggled with it. I know mostly get called Al by english speakers and Ali by our European cousins. With young children, their friends struggle at a certain age with Al, and so I have been called 'owl' many times, much to their amusement :)

My wife is 1/2 spanish 1/2 indian, so we tried to find names fo our 2 boys that worked in most languages (we gave up on the Indian side). First one was Elias, though we've always called him Eli- seems much more common in the US than here. Despite my mother's advice to not choose a name also starting with E and to not have a 'th' in it as the french side would not be able to get it, we went with Ethan for boy number 2. Ironically everyone gets it apart from my Dad who had a really bizarre pronunciation of Ethan for about 6 months...

They also both have a middle name each, one is our Scottish heritage one, the other their grandmother's maiden spanish name. I have 2 middle names, we provided much entertainment at our wedding during the vows...

I was talking to my Barber about this thread today and he knows someone that called their boy Aladdin. Only in Liverpool FFS.

Chris

Or the whole of the Middle East region, since it's used quite widely there. ;)

I know of a young kid called Maxim, he's not old enough to have an opinion of this yet.

I have two boys, Thomas and George - nothing unusual about that - until we found after researching the family tree that there were also two brothers far back in the family,also Thomas and George Provis many years ago that got arrested for stealing chickens. We had never heard of them before - some time in the 1800's

Thought my son's name, Temple, was unusual until we were in the park the other day and heard a grandfather yelling for his grandson Atticus. Guess the Romans are invading again

True story: My ex-girlfriend, of a long time back, has since got married. They had a baby and called him Killian.

She emailed us all to tell us about the new baby and it's the name they chose, Killian. Now bearing in my my name is Ian, and she is my ex, I rolled around on the floor laughing. She clearly hadn't made the connection. So I quickly replied-all to the email list, asking her if calling him "Kill Ian" was intentional, or somehow in her subconsciousness?

It's almost as if some folk want their kids to get their asses kicked in the playground. :D

Back