weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Dean, my Daughter would be cringing at this, she's a mad Disney fan ! You can imagine all sorts around this photo.
How the toy was forgotten, was it swept with the storm. The bright colour is a nice contrast against the grimy water
Aweeee thanks Chris, must say it got close a couple of times :)

Entrance - I like your 1st one best for the theme, simple but effective, but I really like the 3rd building too.
Thank you Minx :)
Size - I like the 2nd one best too
Thanks again :)
forgotten - I like the zigzag line. Poor Minnie, she really stands out though.
Cool - It was the Zig Zag I went hunting for, if the tide was higher I could have got another zig and zag in :)

... don't know what it is! but nice zig-zag and dangerous looking water plus the outstanding red. (y)

Really nice composition there for Forgotten, Dean. Shame about the sky deadening the tone of the water, but it's a very minor point - the rest of the shot is super. Great lead in and good placement of Minnie. Would it have been possible to get front-to-back focus or would that have required a stupidly small aperture?

Good shot there DK.
I think it works all the better for being quite a short(ish) exposure rather than a long silky one, because it emphasises the power of the waves and makes Minnie look all the more forgotten.
The zig-zags work well as lead in lines too. What are they?

Poor Minie - the red and yellow of her outfit are a great contrast to the water and I love the zigzag.

Really nice composition there for Forgotten, Dean. Shame about the sky deadening the tone of the water, but it's a very minor point - the rest of the shot is super.
Thanks Paul :)

Yeah sky was very misty and dull :(

Great lead in and good placement of Minnie. Would it have been possible to get front-to-back focus or would that have required a stupidly small aperture?
It may have been possible mate, but it was DAMN windy so maybe not very sharp... I was aiming for narrow to focus on Mini... do you think that would have worked then ??

Good shot there DK.
I think it works all the better for being quite a short(ish) exposure rather than a long silky one, because it emphasises the power of the waves and makes Minnie look all the more forgotten.
The zig-zags work well as lead in lines too. What are they?
Thanks Tim :)

Its just old metal sea groins, very worn down :)

Poor Minie - the red and yellow of her outfit are a great contrast to the water and I love the zigzag.
Thank you too Liz :)

And onto this weeks theme...

This week, especially for Chris @Cobra I decided to go up the coast for 10 minutes in the opposite direction to last week to get my shots, I have included a couple this week, both fit the theme for me, the first more than the second :D

As per other weeks when I have posted more than one image, please just chose your fav, I do not expect people to comment on both - Thanks :)

Wk 23 - Stone

This first one is a good combination of Stones, Collapsed Stone walling, and Large stones, okay, some may say boulders or Rocks... Either way it was the fallen walls I was concentrating on, and I tried to get a position and angle that had the cliffs on the left and Rocks on the right leading the eyes in, capped off with old wood sea defences :D

When we left about 2 hours after this was taken (Mrs DK and I) the sky was sooooo much better, but I decided to not set up again and do what I could... now wishing I had re-did just for the sky...

Wk 23 - Stone by TP DK, on Flickr

Image two... this one was just playing and practicing having not done any long exposures on local beaches before, I'm really pleased with the result, although again I would love a moodier sky, this is a dead cert for a return visit when the weather looks a tad more moody...

Learnt on this and ready for next 'Remember to take snow feet' the tripod did sink a tad on a few shots...

Wk 23 - Stone 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks All :)

I think the second one for me its less obvious but the first post is a little tight at the top of the frame

stone, rocks its all the same to me aswell

Ooh, I do like that second one Dean :) lovely tones, strong and slightly unusual compo which works really well as something different. Really effective use of the 10 stop (I presume) - I need more practice with mine and images like this are just what I need!! :clap:

This week, especially for Chris @Cobra I decided to go up the coast for 10 minutes in the opposite direction to last week to get my shots,
Don't talk to me OK? just don't !
:p

BTW that looks like a giant corn on the cob, centre of image :D

No 1 for me DK love the different colours and shapes of the stones although I do like No2 too

Wow! Couldn't get a wider variety for Stone as in that first image - nicely composed with those leading lines. I think overall though, I prefer the second with the misty waters revealing the stones in the sand - great perspective and crop too.

#1 is real sad o_O .. horizoned empty bench seats, evidence of seriously nice architecture in ruins ... a number of different stones things there for a variety of different reasons. (y) ... it seems.

#2 is classic beautiful. (y)

I'm amazed at how many different types of stone you packed into that first image - wow! That's about as far from a shoehorn as you can get (not naming any names @Cobra ...oops..did I say that out loud :angelic:)
The second one is just gorgeous though - the simplicity and softness of the right contrasting with the rich colours of the wood and pebbles on the left.

Like these two very much Dean, I have often thought of trying a long exposure shot on a pier or structure like that in the sea.
Nice location would return of it was close enough

I think the second one for me its less obvious but the first post is a little tight at the top of the frame
Thanks Allan :)

The sky was very dull, I did what I could with it which was not much, so I cropped the top so that the cliff edge came in from the top LH Corner :)

stone, rocks its all the same to me aswell
Cool - that's a pass then :D

Ooh, I do like that second one Dean :) lovely tones, strong and slightly unusual compo which works really well as something different. Really effective use of the 10 stop (I presume) - I need more practice with mine and images like this are just what I need!! :clap:
Cheers paul :)

Yes a big stopper, I'm wanting to do a lot more with it locally and plan to (read 'hope to') go out in many different weathers and seasons and see what I can come up with :)

Don't talk to me OK? just don't !
:snigger: :LOL:
:p

BTW that looks like a giant corn on the cob, centre of image :D
Hahahaaaaa :D

Edit your title :p
Drat :LOL:

I'll comment tonight..gotta get back to work :)
Cheers mate :)

Wow! Couldn't get a wider variety for Stone as in that first image - nicely composed with those leading lines.
Thanks Carl :)

I think overall though, I prefer the second with the misty waters revealing the stones in the sand - great perspective and crop too.
Thanks again (y) that is my fav, but as I say, only a few stones, but guess theme wise ONE is enough :D

#1 is real sad o_O .. horizoned empty bench seats, evidence of seriously nice architecture in ruins ... a number of different stones things there for a variety of different reasons. (y) ... it seems.

#2 is classic beautiful. (y)
Cheers on both counts David, and yes very sad how our coast is eroding so much :(

I'm amazed at how many different types of stone you packed into that first image - wow! That's about as far from a shoehorn as you can get (not naming any names @Cobra ...oops..did I say that out loud :angelic:)
Hahaaaa yes I think you did :D
The second one is just gorgeous though - the simplicity and softness of the right contrasting with the rich colours of the wood and pebbles on the left.
Cool - thank you :cool: :)

Like these two very much Dean, I have often thought of trying a long exposure shot on a pier or structure like that in the sea.
Nice location would return of it was close enough
You should try it for sure when you can, thank you for the kind comments :)

Completely ignoring your request not to comment on both I find it hard not to compare and contrast and on that basis for me the second is the better photo but the first seems more on theme because it is is more about stone. The sand between the stones does make a bit of a lead through but would be enhanced by a feature in the distance.

Completely ignoring your request not to comment on both I find it hard not to compare and contrast and on that basis for me the second is the better photo but the first seems more on theme because it is is more about stone. The sand between the stones does make a bit of a lead through but would be enhanced by a feature in the distance.
Thank you Chris, really appreciated :)

I see what you are saying, maybe a fishing bot, or somebody fishing in the water ??

Rocks #2 for me. Lively vivid colours and plenty of stones. Pity about the blooming sky, wonder if a soft grad might have helped.

Cheers.
Cheers Andy :)

Hmmmmm Grad ?? for the first one it was totally filter less, the second had .6 hard and 10 stop... or do you mean PP grad ??

Hi DK ....love the first one ....brilliant diversity of colours and textures in all those different stones, but I also love the second one, I so wish I could take a shot like that....it's a smasher :)
Thanks Susie !!! - you would be able to do them no proble, you really must have a go, you are more than capable to do these type images (y)

stone - the first one certainly stronger for the theme but I find the second one more pleasing on the eye

And here is mine for this week...

Took me a while getting my prop, I had the idea first thing this morning, I wanted the 'Simple Soap' (as Ruth has chose too :D) but I wanted to do a high-key image on my white bath, using the curves as much as possible sweeping across the frame... and the editing to get as high-key as possible without losing all the detail was harder than I expected, but fee this is near enough :)

Here you go - Week 24 - 'Simple' Soap

Wk 24 - Simple by TP DK, on Flickr

I think all the additional inclusions works well, especially in hi-key (y)

Works for me, big fan of white on white here its hard to do and retain detail but you have managed it really well

Great minds indeed. :)
I like yours very much.
Did you buy the soap especially too? :D

Love it. Great interpretation (both you and Ruth!) and very well executed. White on white looks good!

I think all the additional inclusions works well, especially in hi-key (y)
Thanks Chris :)

Works for me, big fan of white on white here its hard to do and retain detail but you have managed it really well
Thanks Allan :)

it certainly wasn't easy, first time I have tried this much white on white !!

Like that, Dean. Nice and clean, no over exposed. Well composed.
Thanks Andy :)

I like the lack of shadows in the Simple text.
Thanks... I bounced my Speedlight onto/from the bathroom ceiling to try and stop too many directional shadows :)
Good show....how get on with your packing :)

Cheers.
I best do soon... I was cutting the grass at 8:00pm trying to get all other stuff out of the way so I can concentrate on packing tomorrow night , running out of time :D

Nice shot DK ....I like the white on white ....looks good :)
Thanks Susie :)

I forgot to say ....have a great Iceland trip ....looking forward to some amazing photos.
Thanks again... I sure hope I do too <fingers-crossed>

Nice Dean, white on white. Are you practising for the Iceland trip ? Really envious :( Always wanted to go
Haha ayes, thank you, I am practicing :)

white on white looks so simple but I am sure it wasn't great shot
Thank you Minx :)

Great minds indeed. :)
:nod:
I like yours very much.
Thank you indeedy :)
Did you buy the soap especially too? :D
God YES - and I could only find a 'four-pack' :bang:

Love it. Great interpretation (both you and Ruth!) and very well executed. White on white looks good!
Thank you Ian :)

Back