weekly dlh's 52 in 2013 - Week 3 "Gravity" added

dlh

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I tried the 52 a couple of years ago and fell before the final hurdle. This year, if I can keep my head in the right place, I will get through this one week at a time.

No rules, other than sticking to the themes and trying to enjoy myself.

Please critique all you like, I can take it :)

[post=5260579]Week 1 - Sin[/post]
[post=5284879]Week 2 - Season[/post]
[post=5299813]Week 3 - Gravity[/post]

Last edited:
Great humour. Like the lighting. Like catchlights and facial expression. Like the grainy feel and negative space.

No real crit, but I do like to have a good look...hhhmm, just the small hot spot on lower lip.

Good start.

Cheers.

nicely lit pic but i for one it's probably just me but I don't see anything sinful

Hi Darren & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Nice n dark , well lit , good angle & sharp (y)

Still pondering the theme connection :thinking:.....ahhhh 3rd look & got it...Pot Noodles :LOL:

Great lighting, Love this image.
Thanks. Tea lights, one in the pot noodle lighting my face and another under the pot lighting that.

Effective lighting and funny. Well done!

Great humour. Like the lighting. Like catchlights and facial expression. Like the grainy feel and negative space.

No real crit, but I do like to have a good look...hhhmm, just the small hot spot on lower lip.
Thanks. I hadn't even spotted the hot spot on the lip. Was more worried about the blown highlight on the front of the pot which I could have avoided if I'd moved the tea light back an inch or two.

Sin - Oh Yes, I like that !!!!

Great expression, lighting, Composition/angle works really well too - Great start, look forward to the rest of your 52 (y)
Thank you. Hoping I don't end up with 52 self portraits :)

nicely lit pic but i for one it's probably just me but I don't see anything sinful
Have you never given into the temptation that is a Pot Noodle? OK it's a bit tenuous :D

Tenuous on the sin but great lighting etc, took me a minute to see what the pot actually was.
It was tricky trying to get the angle quite right on the pot to make it clear what it was. Working by the light of two tea lights only, I'm surprised I didn't set fire to the place.

Hi Darren & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Nice n dark , well lit , good angle & sharp (y)

Still pondering the theme connection :thinking:.....ahhhh 3rd look & got it...Pot Noodles :LOL:
Thanks Lynne :wave: I'm really happy with the light and composition considering it was a self portrait in the dark. Glad it clicked :LOL:

Thanks Michelle. They are most definitely a sin. And the biggest sin was I didn't actually eat it!

I really wanted to get out with the camera this week. But whilst the rest of the country seems to be getting lots of snow, it seems to be avoiding me at the moment. There might be some tonight, but it'll be too late. So I had to hit the condiments instead.

Week 2 - Season by _dlh, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good work, you chose a tough subject!
I like that I can see the salt.
Works for me (y)

I think the crop works as a way of getting closer to the salt grains. it's not an accidental crop - so it works well for me.

Nice background. good shot!

Hey Darren,

I really liked Sin once I figured out that it was a Pot Noodle. Totally empathise with the thought behind that one! As others have said - the lighting works well and casts some nice shadows.

As for season - it's definitely a tight crop and at first glance feels a bit too busy. However the detail in the salt crystals adds a lot to it, and the reflections of light off the grinders are almost hypnotic. The top of that pepper pot looks like it's going to have my eye out it's so close. All in all, a very good study.

Ian.

I took a similar shot to this some time ago and thought I'd change it around a little to fit the theme (I hope).

Zero gravity -

Week 3 - Gravity by _dlh, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like that I can see the salt.
Works for me (y)

Thanks Brian, I tried to keep it the focus of the image.

I like the way the salt sticks out but would have prefered to have both items in full view rather then chopped off

Thanks Craig. Glad the salt has done its job. I think if I'd framed so as not to crop then the focus on the salt might have been lost and the image would have become about a salt and pepper shaker instead.

I agree with tango, particularly the crop of the top one, i find that a bit distracting, but I love the sharpness and the lighting of this

Thanks. As above, it was a conscious decision to frame like this. I guess it's a bit marmite :D

I think the crop works as a way of getting closer to the salt grains. it's not an accidental crop - so it works well for me.

Thanks Graham, absolutely insentional and glad it works for you.

I think I'm with Graham on this one, don't mind the crop at all - some good detail and liking the glow on the grinders (y)

Thanks DK. I was a bit worried about the lighting, but it seems it hasn't offended anyone :)

Quite like this. Close composition and it has a real sci fi feel to me :D

Cheers Andy.

I find the crop a bit tight as when my eye follows the bottom item it drops straight out of the picture and the top one also leads my eye out unless it happens to catch sight of the salt. I like the detail in the salt but would maybe like it so can see it more clearly to make it more of a focal point.

Thanks Christine. I was trying to keep the focus on the salt by not making an image of a salt and pepper shaker. Hence the tight framing. But I do understand why it might look a better all round image without the sudden cut off :)

Hey Darren,

I really liked Sin once I figured out that it was a Pot Noodle. Totally empathise with the thought behind that one! As others have said - the lighting works well and casts some nice shadows.

As for season - it's definitely a tight crop and at first glance feels a bit too busy. However the detail in the salt crystals adds a lot to it, and the reflections of light off the grinders are almost hypnotic. The top of that pepper pot looks like it's going to have my eye out it's so close. All in all, a very good study.

Thanks Ian. It's great to get differing opinions and I'm glad you liked.

Season...B&W works really well , like the layout but just a little to closely cropped for me , lighting looks good & the clarity on the salt is great (y)

Thanks Lynne.

like the idea.. wish my scales told me similar :)

excellent POV, nice light and focus.. suits the B+W processing..

And you say I won't be forgiven ;)

Yup, on theme and cracking perspective. I've become somewhat OCD since I started this 52 and being uber critical, you feet aren't the same distance from the dial, and don't :bat: me bbbuuuttt the needle is just to the right of the 0 :D

We don strive for perfection here, don't you know ;)

Cheers, and what did the dial really say :LOL:

Great shot Darren - love it. :clap:

I'm with Andy about teh right foot (just needed to be 1/2" over).

Presume two shots here? Did you take just the dial at zero to lay over the feet on scales, or the feet on a separate surface to lay over the scales at zero?

Or wind back the dial by *ahem* stone so it actually read zero when stood on it?

like the idea.. wish my scales told me similar :)

excellent POV, nice light and focus.. suits the B+W processing..

Thank you. I've been trying to process manually rather than relying on LR4 presets. Glad it appears to have worked.

Yup, on theme and cracking perspective. I've become somewhat OCD since I started this 52 and being uber critical, you feet aren't the same distance from the dial, and don't :bat: me bbbuuuttt the needle is just to the right of the 0 :D

We don strive for perfection here, don't you know ;)

Cheers, and what did the dial really say :LOL:

Thanks Andy. Please be as critical as you like. To be honest I hadn't even considered trying to make it symmetrical and I'm kicking myself a little for that now. But asymmetry can work as well :)

cant add anything Michelle hasn't already said, nice pic

Thanks Allan.

Great shot Darren - love it. :clap:

I'm with Andy about teh right foot (just needed to be 1/2" over).

Presume two shots here? Did you take just the dial at zero to lay over the feet on scales, or the feet on a separate surface to lay over the scales at zero?

Or wind back the dial by *ahem* stone so it actually read zero when stood on it?

Cheers Graham. It's a single shot. Scales were tweaked before standing on, but I shan't say by how much!

An inventive shot there Darren with plenty of effort to do something a bit different. I think the composition works well and the asymmetry makes it seem more human. Black & white was (probably!) a good choice too.

Well done.

Ian.

Sin....nice lighting on your face but would like to see more light on what you are holding as at first it's hard to tell whats going on.

Season...looks good in B&W but I think the framing is just a little too tight.

Gravity defying...simple and fun shot, DOF, lighting and framing spot on.

(y)

An inventive shot there Darren with plenty of effort to do something a bit different. I think the composition works well and the asymmetry makes it seem more human. Black & white was (probably!) a good choice too.

Thanks. B&W definitely a better choice than the lily white and pink of my legs and feet :)

Sin....nice lighting on your face but would like to see more light on what you are holding as at first it's hard to tell whats going on.

Season...looks good in B&W but I think the framing is just a little too tight.

Gravity defying...simple and fun shot, DOF, lighting and framing spot on.

Cheers Colt :cautious:

Great Idea, great fun and well executed. :clap:

Thanks Brian.

Very original, Clever and well thought out.

Clever would be a first :) Thanks.

Hahaaaa good idea that... B&W looks good, well framed and glad there is no stomach hiding the rest of your feet :D

I made sure to avoid certain extremities in the frame.

Great invention, like it. I could do with those scales :LOL:

I think I should patent them before someone else gets there first.

Back