weekly DM's First 52 Challenge 2015 I'M STILL HERE BIIIIIG CATCH UP Week 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 & 19 ADDED!

Ace, its cool how its turned it upside down, i really need to up my game looking at all these great 52'er posts

Hi, an interesting take. I bought an orb last year.....should have read the small print because it was tiny :)

I like the fact your composed nice and close, cropping the top and bottom, nice reds and long exposure is a great addition.

Cheers.

Hi Mark. A brilliant image for Fragile. I stumbled upon this on Flickr yesterday (I think) and didn't realise what it was until now reading your thread.

I really like the drama in the shot, so not offering any crit at all...just wondering what this would look like as a perfectly square crop with the full sphere included? Maybe brushing out everything outside the sphere to black?

Last edited:
That's great Mark... really smart thinking and very well executed. A difficult technical shot and you've executed really well. I love images which are far from the obvious - and this definitely hits that note very well.

Superb! :clap:

Thank you for all your comments

Last night was the club competition I entered a version of fragile into and I have to say I'm over the moon and slightly shocked that it scored 19 out of 20.

It's dogs again and therefore it's a brilliant picture -- I'm a little biased.

Seriously though, the first picture of the two border collies is by far the best for me. it sums up the bond between a couple of dogs. Love it.

Some great shots for your companion pics.
No crit dog pictures are always fine by me and my first ever dog was a collie so always gonna be a winner for me (y)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The older Collie (Rory) usually looks the other way when I pick my camera up but will pose for everyone else!

Here are a couple from 12 months ago when Finley joined out family from a farm I Wales
View attachment 30126

I love this one Rory put his leg over Fin as if he was protecting him the first time they came over to our house

View attachment 30127

View attachment 30128

Last edited by a moderator:
S1 E-Type, about as elegant as they come, though I would have liked to have seen it a bit more isolated from the throng, and from an angle which emphasized its lines a little better - capturing the elongated profile and catching some nice light reflections along those glossy flanks..
I believe that they have one in the New York Museum of Modern Art. No downer on your picture though.

I certainly can't argue over the fact that the E-type is elegant (y)

BTW you seem to be using huge file sizes linked to Flickr
Try a smaller size, people click away when they start taking awhile to load ;)

Those classic beauties certainly fit the elegant theme :)

That E-type really is a beauty for elegant. Couldn't be more on-theme! And for once we can show those Italians a thing or two about elegance ;)

Would obviously be great to get that car isolated from the crowd but difficult to achieve unless it's yours! Shallower DOF could help, perhaps?

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

If the weather had of been kinder I would have been able to get some shots of 2 of my favourite Jaguars fo all time a 1955 XK140 FHC and a 1938 3.5Ltr SS100 but with how the weather has been they stayed in the garage.....

Just sorting out my Watery image then I need to get some ideas for Bold....

For Watery I had a number of ideas but as I had just brought a SplashArt kit from this very forum it seamed like the perfect time to use it.

Now I had never used anything like this before... I'm glad I'm shooting digital that's all I'll say!

Anyway my first atempt was done using a quickly knocked up backdrop and base and using a speedlight on camera so not ideal. But I think they are possible some of the best crowns I have achived todate

WATERY 3 by MARKGAMESON1 (Downton Mini/Mini59), on Flickr

For this one I added a bit of squash to the water

WATERY 1 by MARKGAMESON1 (Downton Mini/Mini59), on Flickr

So I decided I needed to get a few cheap flash guns and tigger receiver set.... In the meantime my brother bade a back drop holder and proper base board (he says he's going to make it into a table at some point) HTe flash gels I have ordered are still on there way so I cut of a plastic folder (very BLue Peter I know) to try colour the flash light.

This time I added some food colouring to the water and used a cut glass glass

WATERY 5 by MARKGAMESON1 (Downton Mini/Mini59), on Flickr

WATERY 8 by MARKGAMESON1 (Downton Mini/Mini59), on Flickr

WATERY 9 by MARKGAMESON1 (Downton Mini/Mini59), on Flickr

WATERY 4 by MARKGAMESON1 (Downton Mini/Mini59), on Flickr

As I say it is a process of keep adjusting the settings on the SplashArt kit by tiny amounts at a time.

I must have taken over 300 photos during this process and most of them have been deleted!

There are a few more from the set in my Flickr Album https://www.flickr.com/photos/markgameson/sets/72157650042490982/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark ....I've tried this and it's not easy, although I don't have the proper 'kit' I'd love to have a go with one.

I think your first watery shot is the best one, I think they look better when done using something shallow rather than the glass as it tends to distract from the actual splash, you can add colour in PP by adjusting the colour temp. and this can look good too, I had try with the first one and it looks good as a nice deep blue.

Well done for your first attempt :)

Thanks for the feedback Susie I must admit the first imiage is my favourite.

I have read somewhere that spoons are good to use but I haven't quite worked out how to set the spoon up I will have antoher go over the week

Interesting water drops Mark.
I have to say the first is a clear winner for me too.

I know how hard this is to get right so practise is good, I think the 1st one is the best and I am not sure I like the colour at all. Have you tried adding food colouring to milk then using a contrasting colour for the drop? I've seen this done really well but I am far to busy to play about right now lol

HI Mark

good work on the watery drops...1st is best for me (y) I've tried this so know how irritatingly frustrating they can be so well done for persevering :banghead:

Companions...super set of shots of 2 beautiful dogs, 1st for me again, classic collie pose & lovely n sharp but the whole set is wonderful :clap:

Thanks for the feedback guys

Trying to catch up a bit I've got a shot for vertical but not happy with it.

Off to greenwich and financial disrict tomorrow so maybe I'll get a better one there

Hey Mark I seem to have missed this thread...

Vertical... I see what I think you're trying to do here, but for me I'm not sure what the subject is. The blob of wood on the bottom edge and the bits of wall top right corner distract. For something like this, I think a bit more abstract would work better. How about just picking out the verticals and take the context of the staircase away. We know they are bannister supports, we don't necessarily need to see all the stairs.

I do like the soft lighting and the warm tones you've got going on. I also like that DoF although the front post looks a little blurred. Clicking through to Flickr, I'm not surprised at 1/6 sec assuming you're hand-held? Overall, I think it's a good idea, although for me, I'd like a bit more vertical wood and less stairs.

Thanks for your feed back.

To be honest I'm not entirely happy with the image and may revisit it.

It was shot handheld

I agree that the bottom bit of wood is distracting, but I do feel it fits the theme, and I love the staircase.

The ideas there just looks too tight in the frame I had a shot on the stairs for a theme last year and found i had to crop in tight which didn't make for a great picture

Back