Dragonfly in flight shots

Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of airborne dragonfly shots from the weekend.

All D700 + 300f4 + 1.4TC

Common Darter

265_056.jpg

265_052.jpg

I think that this is a Migrant Hawker (please correct me if I am wrong)

265_075a.jpg

265_099.jpg

Great set, #4 for me - love the position of the wings! Yes, it is a Migrant Hawker.

Fantastic the last one does it for me, head on gives it that little extra :clap:

Thanks for the comments, and for the confirmation of ID of the Migrant Hawker.

Certainly a challenge, the trickiest was the second darter, they were landing on the gravel footpath to sunbathe, the confusing background made it harder to pick up the insect through the viewfinder.

The Hawker was getting too close at one point, I would swear he was checking out my kit :D

what settings were you using for the last one,the way you've frozen the wings is fantastic

oh wow!! Amazing! It must have taken ages to get them, surely!

Fantastic :clap:

Not really, the idea is to get in a good position with regard to where the light is coming from, and then hope that the Dragonflies oblige. Probably spent 20 minutes getting each set.

what settings were you using for the last one,the way you've frozen the wings is fantastic

They were 1/1000 sec f9 ISO560

I know nothing about dragonflies but I can appreciate your skill in getting the shots.:clap:

Brilliant set of photos and another vote for number 4

Thanks for the comments

Alan ... a case of lots of practice, and lots of failures, it can get frustrating :D

Wonderful shots, the last one for me is superb; almost looks like a plane coming into land! :)

Back