weekly DrRusty's 2012 Photo 52 Challenge -WK16 (Pride Added)

Treehugger81 said:
The lighting on no2 for me too. You've managed to capture some great texture on the cymbal.

Thank you. I choose this cymbal as it has more surface detail than my others. The deeper hammer marks especially.

Southdowns said:
Yes definitely number 2 for me too. Lovely shot!

Just saw your root ones too, and think again number 2 is the one. Number one looks Photoshopped to me; I'm sure it's not, but the boundary between the in and out of focus parts looks false somehow!

It might be the tight crop/proximity but I can assure you it hasn't been through PS.

Hi Richard

Root.....love botht eh images for the theme but #2 takes 1st place....great POV....love those ice cubes...nifty thinking there mister...good work :clap:

Handmade....can't quite put my finger on why but #2 for me (y)

blondie606 said:
Hi Richard

Root.....love botht eh images for the theme but #2 takes 1st place....great POV....love those ice cubes...nifty thinking there mister...good work :clap:

Handmade....can't quite put my finger on why but #2 for me (y)

Thank you - I'm really happy with both of them.

mtjhome said:
Like your root photos very much
As for handmade - also excellent and works well in B&W.
#2 gets my vote.
Mike

Thank you - For some reason most of the colour was lost anyway so it made sense to take it all away and use the contrast to bring out the surface detail.

Think industry is a bit lacking as it does not show in what context it is to an industry. Sorry. Could be part of a play swing in the park. (typed this before reading previous comments:bang:) The rendition of colour is very good though.
Root is great both have good use of DOF but I think the arrow adds to the image, #2 gets my vote.
Handmade, Agree #2 is the one to go for, right lighting and contrast to show the amount of work needed to produce the item.

Good take on the theme Richard, I particularly like the colour in the flame, quite vibrant and appealling. Iain

blakester said:
Good take on the theme Richard, I particularly like the colour in the flame, quite vibrant and appealling. Iain

Thank you - the colour is a nautral effect of the fuel used. Slightly pushed the saturation !

Very nice indeed! I love the blue; what fuel did you use?

Made a technical mistake with my Win photo re-shot tonight but no time to post yet.

Wk10 Win by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Well sometimes simple is best just annoyed it took me all week to think of this !! DOH !! :bonk:

Photograph taken in a hurry when I found a spare few minutues (well this atempt completely mucked up my first images but happy I noticed my error before posting (enough said on that)

Hi Richard. Yes, sometimes the most simple is the idea that most thwarts us!

I like your idea but I think the point of focus is off, the diagonal line across the middle is what draws your eye, not the winning line or the tip of the pen. Maybe a slight over exposure would also lift the colour of the paper and highlight the detail in the pen?

Sorry for being picky.

The goblin said:
Hi Richard. Yes, sometimes the most simple is the idea that most thwarts us!

I like your idea but I think the point of focus is off, the diagonal line across the middle is what draws your eye, not the winning line or the tip of the pen. Maybe a slight over exposure would also lift the colour of the paper and highlight the detail in the pen?

Sorry for being picky.

fair enough - it really was a grab shot not very considered and ideally I need to dig out the tripod. If time allows I will try to reshoot this week.

'Win' - That works very well for me, perfect depth of field and lovely whites so great exposure. As an image I think its great concept !

Nick

Blank_Canvas said:
'Win' - That works very well for me, perfect depth of field and lovely whites so great exposure. As an image I think its great concept !

Nick

Thank you

michael23 said:
Great pic for win Richard, like the idea and a good use of black and white.

As the image had little colour pushing to monochrome seemed to clean it up.

Manc Man said:
Win
Great shot Richard, sometime simple is best and this is a cracker.

Cheers

Really playing catchup this week I have been so busy at woek again my feet haven't touched the ground to think about shiny. I'll probably post a joker asap and start planning magical.

Good work on win Richard, a simple concept but effective. I understand your time constraints, I have been a bit last minute dot com myself over the past few weeks.
I agree with Marsha on the point of focus, maybe a reshoot is in order with various apertures and point of focus used to see which works the best.
Good luck on your catch up. Iain

Secure – I took me a second to work out what it was but I like it. On theme for me

Industry – This wouldn’t have worked as well without the green on the metalwork making it look even older than it is.

Root - #1 is a winner. I like the white outline of the glass against the bottle in the background

Handmade - #2 is my preference. Great lighting to give the cymbal some texture

Money – Blimey. Setting fire to money! Great thinking though. The vivid blue really works

Win – Great shot. The DoF you used is spot on. Very nice shot

Delta Skies said:
Secure – I took me a second to work out what it was but I like it. On theme for me

Industry – This wouldn’t have worked as well without the green on the metalwork making it look even older than it is.

Root - #1 is a winner. I like the white outline of the glass against the bottle in the background

Handmade - #2 is my preference. Great lighting to give the cymbal some texture

Money – Blimey. Setting fire to money! Great thinking though. The vivid blue really works

Win – Great shot. The DoF you used is spot on. Very nice shot

Thank you

just now in catch up as work has been busy and family has been ill :-(

Week 11 Joker by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

I tried to take a shiny photo last night but it wasn't happening so time to play a joker to catchup and only be two weeks behind (Magical and Vice). I did use my "shiny" new 50mm F1.8 but that is slightly tenuous :nono:

Joker retracted ! (y) :)

Last edited:
Ahhh - that's a lovely photograph for the family album. Retract your 'joker' ! definitely a shiny 'glowing' baby Richard (y)

I'm still getting use to the 50mm and f1.8 ! DOF can be so shallow that just the slightest movement and the photo is no good. However, nail the point if focus and the photo leaps out of the page :)

DrRusty said:
I'm still getting use to the 50mm and f1.8 ! DOF can be so shallow that just the slightest movement and the photo is no good. However, nail the point if focus and the photo leaps out of the page :)

Which is so difficult to achieve with young children! I think I've given up trying to get my kids in focus!!!

Back