weekly DrRusty's 2012 Photo 52 Challenge -WK16 (Pride Added)

Wk5 Secure (Frozen Tight) by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Not had a great week whole family has been unwell :puke: that had a big impact on my available time to take a picture :thumbsdown:

Well on to next week and hopefully "Industry" will produce a more interesting picture :shrug:

Interesting image Doc, a good take on the subject. I like the vibrant red against the white. Without the ice it would just have been another padlock.

10/10 for getting a pic up in the circumstances, I can't claim to like it but perhaps it's like my version of 'sigh' ... on the road to next week - hope the family are soon feeling better (y)

Hi Richard....hope the family's all recovered now :)

Sweet....like your idea...slightly different take on the theme which is good , you've caught movement well & the colors seem "real" so (y) overall . There's something about it which is bugging me but I just can't put my finger on what :shrug: I think it's the shadow at the back

Secure....I looked & looked & loooked some more but until I read Nicks words I just couldn't see a padlock :bang: Simple idea , the red stripes stand out well & you've got detail in the ice ....nice :)

blondie606 said:
Hi Richard....hope the family's all recovered now :)

Sweet....like your idea...slightly different take on the theme which is good , you've caught movement well & the colors seem "real" so (y) overall . There's something about it which is bugging me but I just can't put my finger on what :shrug: I think it's the shadow at the back

Secure....I looked & looked & loooked some more but until I read Nicks words I just couldn't see a padlock :bang: Simple idea , the red stripes stand out well & you've got detail in the ice ....nice :)

Thanks - really tough week last week and this week has been busy at work so I am struggling with the 52 now :-(

I haven't even thought about this weeks topic !!

Secure....I looked & looked & loooked some more but until I read Nicks words I just couldn't see a padlock :bang:
Doh! I saw the padlock straight away:clap:

It's a simple idea, on theme and completely unique, well done(y)

I hope you're feeling better now. Illness has hit quite a few of us here and work really does get in the way of this photography lark! Well done for keeping up so far.

Direction - makes my eyes fizz. Nice shot with good colours.

Fear - not keen but technically a nice shot.

Sigh - every time somebody ruins real coffee with milk I do!

Sweet - like it a lot other than the shadow in the background.

Secure - again, I like it. Reminds me of the film "The Thing" for god knows what reason as I've never watched it.

Wk 6 - Industry (Intrustrial Metalwork)

Wk 6 Industry by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Really not such a good week :( but I'll post this and look to move on to this weeks theme.

Last edited:
I think you've done ok(y)

It needs some tweaking, some stray twigs on the left, the sky looks a little washed out and is that a dust bunny stealing centre stage? These are all relatively easy tweaks (well, easier for some)

It's bang on theme and the detail on the metal work is nice and sharp.

The goblin said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58189537@N02/6861501687/
I hope you don't mind I had a go! I'm afraid I've developed a bit of a CS5 addiction:nuts:
I know others can 'tweak' better than me!

I hope it's not dust on the sensor already :-( camera is barely a few months old and I am careful when swooping over lenses!

Thank you for thaking the time, this really confirms my fear that I am being held back by not having a decent computer to edit on :-(
Irony is that I have PSElements 10 in a box ready to go :-( I had intially chossen another image but prefered this only to see the twigs after posting.

Oh well other priorities and spending everything on the camera has put pay to a computer for a while.

Its a good little bit of industrial steelwork, nice and sharp too. As you've said a little bit of tweaking here and there with the raw and it's a good un. :)

St-ephen said:
Its a good little bit of industrial steelwork, nice and sharp too. As you've said a little bit of tweaking here and there with the raw and it's a good un. :)

Telling everyone it is part of a swing in the local park might ruin the illusion.

The goblin said:
That's some swing! Still produced by industrial processes!

I hope it's not dust, I guess you'll have to do a quick test shoot and see.

Me too !! will do some test photos and run the onboard antidust thingy.

It is a big old swing frame proably 10' -12' to the top bar !! some swing indeed.

The goblin said:
That's some swing! Still produced by industrial processes!

I hope it's not dust, I guess you'll have to do a quick test shoot and see.

Test photo showed something on the sensors :-( but used the onboard clean cycle and it went away - hopefully.

superpippo said:
Hi Richard

Industry - nice composition, nice colour (on the edited version), lots of detail and patina and right on theme. And you said not really a good week?:wacky:

Well tgat cheered me up - Thank you.

The goblin said:
I never heard of Patina before this challenge, now it pops up weekly!

I hope the sensor stays clean for you.

Nothing like a good Patina on metal. Stops it reflecting the flash if nothing else ;-)

Two images this week and I like both for different reasons.

Wk7 Roots 1 by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Close to my intial intention for the photograph but I had to get in closer as I just couldn't blow out a larger background with my speedlites. For some reason I prefer the focus on the glass than the bottle. I tired both an will try to post the opposite image later.

Wk7 Roots 2 by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Playing on the word Root (Route) I put arrow shaped ice cubes in the glass which didn't really show up well on the first shot so I tried this to highlight them.

Frustrating week as I had great intentions but lacked the skill and equipment to pull off my original idea :thumbsdown: However I am happy with the results.

ChickenDipa said:
Ooo nice take on it. Like #1 good DOF and colours.

Thank you

St-ephen said:
Number 1 for me too. Very nice.

Thank you - I'd prefer just chosing just one photo each week but on this occation I couldn't settle on one.

The goblin said:
I looked at never one and thought its too tight a crop, but looking at it again I think I like it as it is. I like the DOF.

I prefer number two though, it makes want to have a glass!

I know number one is tight but I couldn`t generate enough light to blow out anymore of the background so I risked it as the wider shots weren`t working.
Thank you :)

Dark Knight said:
Industry - I like that... Edit looks real good :)

Root - Oh very nice, like both of them... leaning towards 1 too, but 2 is still a cracker (y)

I was grateful for the assistance in editting Industry - still see it as a "snap" as it was unplanned but encouraged by the critique recieved.

I think no.1 so far is winning but I couldn't resist making more of the the play on words.

michael23 said:
number 2 for me, I like arrow shaped ice, number 1 is good, but I find a little to tightly cropped.

Thamk you, as mentioned above limitations lead me to the tight "crop" n.b although this is the actually capture.

Treehugger81 said:
No2 for me. Really good take on the theme.

Thank you - oh ! another for no.2 maybe it's not so clear cut.

Last edited:
Week 8 - "Handmade" ( yes late again :shake: )

Whilst some machines are used to produce Zildjian Cymbals it is the artisans that control each process making this cymbal as with all Zildjians handmade.

I wanted to photograph a cymbal (btw a 20" K Custom Dark Ride) this week (another expensive hobby of mine) but a straight photo would be dull so I decided to try lightpainting for the first time to give a subtle illumination to the shiny surface and a BW conversion as the brass colour of the cymbal was lost anyway.

Three photos this week as again I can't decide two tighter crop one wide, but probably not much else in it.

Wk8 Handmade 1 by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Wk8 Handmade by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Wk8 Handmade by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Second is my favourite, I think the 3rds not lit as nice and the first has some distracting overspill.

Liking the B&W conversion too, seems to bring the detail out nicely.

Thank you

The more i've looked at them the more I am moving towards no.2 as well.

Yes definitely number 2 for me too. Lovely shot!

Just saw your root ones too, and think again number 2 is the one. Number one looks Photoshopped to me; I'm sure it's not, but the boundary between the in and out of focus parts looks false somehow!

Back