weekly DTS's 2013 52 thread! UPDATE

Here is my week 3 submission for gravity - its a picture of my boy defying it!

8396026026_8b17fb2e8b_b.jpg

Took a lot of PP although it wont look it - Firstly my Sky remote was on the bed and i didnt notice it so had to clone it out! and also his mum who 'launched' him kindly stood close enough to also need cloning out! Tried to get rid of the dummy but he wasnt having him and when working with kids you need to keep them happy! That's another reason This took a while as i wouldnt let her 'launch' him with much force as i didnt want any choking! :LOL:

Went with mono as the lighting wasn't great and it just looked better than the colour shot did.

Just an idea more than anything - i intend on submitting another on this theme too this was more of a fun shot!

Cheers

Last edited:
What's the point of having kids if you can't chuck them around now and then? :)

Fun shot, and good job catching the shot. I think it works well.

If I were to have a criticism though, it would be the harsh shadow to the left. I'm guessing you only have your on camera flash, which makes it tricky to get around that, and you couldn't really go flashless indoors without ruining it with blur.

If you have a similar thing with your other shots you plan and don't have off-camera flash, maybe try bouncing the on-board flash up onto the ceiling with a mirror/white card so it acts as a big light source? Just an idea to try if you feel like it. :)

Hi ray thanks for the comments

I do have off camera flash but couldn't get it right and he was getting a little impatient and this one was the best of the bunch.

I cloned it out at first but didnt quite get it right so I put it back :LOL:

:D great fun shot... Perhaps not a vision of technical perfection (I agree with Crossroads that the flash is a bit harsh) but it made me smile, which is much more important :)

Now to persuade the wife to let me throw my 2 month old boys around.... :D

Made me chuckle.

I take it that it's not a layered (levitation) photograph.

Great fun photograph and I suspect there will be a few of this type....I'll be doing one :D

Shadows mentioned. Looks a tad flat/gray to me.

Looks like he's having a great time.

Cheers.

Just the shadows and the dummy only crit really always a pleasure to throw your children around :LOL:

i really struggled to get one with the shadows right - its a fairly dark room and without a couple more flashes i would never fill it right to have them disappear :(

Thanks DK!

Hi Dan

well done for hanging on inhere....being busy is something I know only too well so I feel your pain :)

Season...different approach to the theme which I like...the colors appeal as everything is so flipping grey n drab in the world at the moment :) Agree with the comments on the BG

Gravity - someones having fun...great expression on his face....looks a tad flat to me..maybe boot the contrast a bit ? I have no idea on flash or shadows so won't attempt crit on those

Keep on going mister....3 down , only 49 left :D

thanks lynne!

Thanks Dave. I spent a while getting the focus right manually to where I thought he would be and went for it. I'm glad how it turned out :)

Think I'm going to have to pass on this week. I've been really ill and been in bed for the last 3 days so had no chance to get out and take a pic. I will hopefully try to get something tomorrow even if its just something in the garden. Better late than never hopefully :(

Ok so illness beat me this week - have had a bad case of sickness and been in bed most of the week.

Im really disappointed that i fell short so early on in the challange :(

Onto next week....

Firstly sorry for my absense last week - been feeling like ive been dragged through a hedge backwards!

Onto Week 5 - Space!

I was hoping to be a little different by not going for the universe/wide open space shots.

Im hoping that the positioning of the keyboard allows the 'space bar' and lines between the keys to work as leading lines pointing towards the screen as a blurry background feature, and made it blurry not to detract from the subject.

Used a flashgun off camera on a tripod set to 1/8th power for this and also diffused the light, as its a glossy keyboard and didnt want too many reflections.

The shadow to the left was unavoidable without another light or rearranging the lounge (i did ask the mrs - she was completely against the idea!) Ive had this issue a couple of times in the last couple of shoots - another flash and some wireless triggers are next on the shopping list.

Let me know what you think guys :)

8450020897_5a549488b4_b.jpg

SPACE bar - what a top idea for this weeks subject :LOL:

This works well - DOF used to pick out the subject well, the monitor looks like something OOF that's in the background that should really have been moved, cropping a bit off the bottom would help too..

Hope you're feeling better - good shot in the circumstances. Clear, sharp, clean, good focus on the space bar. (y)

Cheers Graham :)

Well I have to say I like it! I saw an Olympia typewriter in a charity shop yesterday while seeking my own space shot (not yet done), and I wondered about an image of the space bar, but I couldn't think how to make it work. I think you've done a great job.

I quite like this one as well. The lines appeal to me.

I'd rather a more minimal affair, losing the monitor and table top.

Cheers....and get well soon (y)

Thanks guys some great comments :)

Agree with this

...your keyboard is a darn sight more clean than mine, I know that!

Must say it wasn't until I took the first shot and the flash picked it out so gave ot a clean!

Great idea and lovely sharp image. Agree with the others regarding the monitor.

Nevertheless, excellent effort (y)

Week 6 - Work

Really busy this week so just chucked some work related stuff onto the desk, and took a quick pic - supposed to be what i see as work when im sat at my desk - usual stuff Cheque book and paying in book, some pics (which are actually loxely print tests) and invoice type stuff (which is actually a parcel lost in the post claim form! :LOL:)

As i said really quick and not really thought through a lot, just wanted to get something submitted (y)

8478544384_67aa0e404a_b.jpg

DTS said:
Week 6 - Work

Really busy this week so just chucked some work related stuff onto the desk, and took a quick pic - supposed to be what i see as work when im sat at my desk - usual stuff Cheque book and paying in book, some pics (which are actually loxely print tests) and invoice type stuff (which is actually a parcel lost in the post claim form! :LOL:)

As i said really quick and not really thought through a lot, just wanted to get something submitted (y)

Sometimes we just need to post an interpretation. Quite like it. Nice and clean.

And, that's an easy signature to forge ;)

Cheers.

Sometimes we just need to post an interpretation. Quite like it. Nice and clean.

And, that's an easy signature to forge ;)

Cheers.

if you wanna forge it go ahead! ive got nothing of value lol!

im having a bit of a writers block type situation with my togging at the moment - just no motivation etc

might be due to the stress of work etc at the minute and being rater tired after 70hours a week!

:crying:

if you wanna forge it go ahead! ive got nothing of value lol!

im having a bit of a writers block type situation with my togging at the moment - just no motivation etc

might be due to the stress of work etc at the minute and being rater tired after 70hours a week!

:crying:

70 hours a week :eek: Hope they reduce and I'm sure you'll get your mojo back (y)

hopefully so - seems more like a chore than something i loved just a few weeks ago :(

Hi Dan

Hope your togging block has gone now (y)

Space...like it , original & well shot , nice POV & a very clean keyboard there ...like the way it leads you to the screen (y) I didn't even notice the shadow tbh

Work...I'd kill for a desk that tidy...I'm currently working from 2 desks & can't see the surface on either of them :eek:

Lynne - it was only that tidy for the photo, never when I'm actually sat at it!

Thanks for the support :)

hmmm hadnt thought of that DK - think il have to agree with you on that

missing gluttony - just havent had time to sit down let alone think about the theme :(

Back