Early Day Motion started in Parliament regarding street photography

Got my letter today from Tony Mcnulty - Going to make a photocopy and carry it around in my camera bag as its better than nothing :)

just noticed this thread, and have emailed the Derby MP - Bob Laxton.... ;)

This a really good post.

My MP has not signed it yet so I sent him a note asking for his support on this today.

It gets worse, now photographers (a bus spotter in this case) being labelled as paedophiles http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080624/tuk-bus-spotter-labelled-a-paedophile-45dbed5.html

This line is even worse "However, if the officer remains suspicious as to the content of the images or the photographers intentions they have the authority, under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act to seize the camera and arrest the individual." So basically any over zealous PC can decide to arrest you on the spot if they are 'suspicious' of your photos!!!!!!

Letter from Bob Laxton (Derby North) this morning saying that he is also concerned about this issue, and has signed the EDM :D

Got a prompt reply from Christine Russell. She can't sign any EDM's due to "Parliamentary protocol". But she will "monitor the progress of the matter". She also forwarded my email to Tony McNulty (Minister of State for the Home Office) for his "consideration and response". So all in all, not too bad - shame she can't sign, but looks like she is at least not ignoring the issues.

Or charging disabled people to clean up after them.

This a really good post.

My MP has not signed it yet so I sent him a note asking for his support on this today.

My MP Jim Cousins wrote to me yesterday that he signed up for it too :)

My MP signed it back in March.... So I take it I don't need to write to hima about it.

Of all the EDM's he's signed, this one has by far the greatest number of signatures (some 243 at the moment).

Steve

I believe Austin Mitchell is currently laid up with some broken ribs, or so I read a glimpse of in AP this morning :(

Hallo,

Interesting topic! I am Dutch semi-pro photographer and I am glad that the Dutch arein generally not so puritioniol as in the British World.
When I had such troubles, I am going to my MP in Dutch Chambers and go the Press and tell him these terrible behavior of the Police and they wrote articles about international Press Freedom!

Shihan

sent mr rob wilson (reading west) got one straight back from the house of commons obviously auto generated but lets see what happens

Done. Here's the text I sent:
Dear MP,

Austin Mitchell MP has proposed the Early Day Motion (EDM 1155) entitled "Photography in Public Areas". As a keen amateur photographer, I am concerned that the rights of photographers are increasingly being infringed upon. I urge you to sign this early day motion to protect our right to take photographs in public places and look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

I didnt get an email, I got a personal phone call from my MP, John Pugh. Very nice person

ooer! nice one John Pugh.

This was pointed out on another forum <<<<Clicky>>>>

When this even gets on an AirgunBBS then the message is getting about that our rights are being eroded in every aspect and not just photography.

Nev

Louis Berk - in the article said:
'I am sympathetic to the need for greater vigilance these days,' says Louis Berk. 'But singling out amateur photographers seems a bit unfair. To be honest, most of us are just sad anoraks who are no threat to anyone!'

I really object to that last part, Louis Berk may well be a sad anorak but I'm flippin not!

:rules: I have just spotted this thread and been trying to wade through it from the start.

Since acquiring a half decent camera a week ago I've been out snapping and twice been asked by concerned parents if i was taking pictures of their kids, which of course I wasn't and willingly obliged by showing them my shots to their relief, it's a sad fact of life when the innocent have to be looked upon as being guilty of something.

As for EMD 1155 on this thread what is the latest update as a lot of quotes have been pasted and I'm loosing track of old a new actions, are there any dates for expiry to write to MPs or questions in the house etc. If not too late I too will also write to my MP.

Not only the overplayed moral, security, reporting and confiscation issues worry me but also the amount of investment that many of us make in pursuit of such an innocent hobby that could end up confiscated or shut up in a cupboard when we are scared off from using it.

Of course there is always another side of things :
Why when there is a major incident authorities are happy to receive photographs in sensitive places to help with enquiries or look for something or someone.

Since acquiring a half decent camera a week ago I've been out snapping and twice been asked by concerned parents if i was taking pictures of their kids, which of course I wasn't and willingly obliged by showing them my shots to their relief, it's a sad fact of life when the innocent have to be looked upon as being guilty of something.
Unfortunately this campaign won't suppress the hysteria and anxiety amongst the wider population. I just look forward to the day when paranoid idiots like this are too scared to come out of their homes, and stay in clutching their kids in mortal fear.

Until then, I'll just have to keep re-reading Francis Wheen's 'How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered The World'. I'd recommend it - at least he's able to derive humour from this infernal mess of a country.

I just look forward to the day when paranoid idiots like this are too scared to come out of their homes, and stay in clutching their kids in mortal fear.

Me too

see page 94 ..

Remember the days when there used to be close up shots of happy kids faces enjoying street parties or splashing about at the seaside or whatever. We can all look back at these pictures from years ago but does that mean there will now be a void of happy children on record because of the antics of a few unmentionable members of our society ?.

In fact, there are probably adults too afraid to even photograph their own children for fear of accusations.

This is worse than Salem!!

l was hired by a lady to take shots of her small kids at an arranged play day in a park. The organisers didn't like it!

l was coming out of an indoor ball park/kids play area, and called my husband to meet him, or something. A member of staff told me l couldn't use my phone in the place because it had a camera on it!!

l was on the bloody phone!!

A letter dashed off to David "two brains" Willetts today!!

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, joined a couple of weeks ago. The first thread I looked at was this one. I followed the links helpfully included and I wrote to my MP. I got a response to my request today. He (Richard Shepherd) has added his name to the list and tells me that 240 other members have so far also aded their names.

It really can work, but you've got to ask first.

I even included in my letter that I didn't vote for him :)

I have contacted my MP, the Rght Hon Keith Hill MP, but I'm not holding out much hope, not only have I not recieved a reply (except for the automated one) but looking through the records, in the 16 years he has been an MP, he has not signed a single EDM.

Back