Edinburgh Film Meet

That actually had me going for a while, mainly because we've had everything else already.

Rofl! I actually seen one in the wild yesterday. A terrifying sight all gleaming and light up, no steam or nothing!
Now I'm not suggesting you didn't actually see one of these mythical beasts but had you been on the sauce?

Will have to be the first weekend for me now, something's come up for the 14th of June.

Last edited:
I voted for the 7th but I can do both, the only reason I held off voting for the 14th is that my birthday is on the 12th and I t'missus has been hinting at us doing something together - looks as though that's going to be a trip to Edinburgh with some film cameras then :D

Right here's where we are. Settled on the 7th, I suggest we meet at Waverly Train Station. Airport bus/Tram(?) stop there or there abouts as do the trains (!). Timings to follow once we get some idea of when traveling people are due to arrive.

Update added to the OP.

After booking the train up a couple of weeks ago, I've now booked flights home and t'missus is sorting out somewhere for us to sleep on Saturday. I'm starting to get excited, which is probably a little bit twee but I don't care. :D

Wish I could decide what camera(s) to bring though. I should be receiving an Ensign 820 this week from the 'bay (6x9 folder in case you don't know) and that's certainly going in the bag, can't decide on what else. Compact would be good but mju-II, Trip, Electro 35 GX, Zorki-4, Hi-matic 7 ... I might buy a disposable, draw a big red dot on the front with a felt-tip pen and call it my everyman's Leica...

(y)
Excellent, I really want to have a look at an 820, its on the list.

No worries, Andy. I've also ordered a pack of Shanghai GP3 for that authentic olde worlde film look. Seemed rude not to at about £18 for 10 rolls direct from China :)

No worries, Andy. I've also ordered a pack of Shanghai GP3 for that authentic olde worlde film look. Seemed rude not to at about £18 for 10 rolls direct from China :)
Dean, Where are you getting it @£1.80 a roll?

I actually like GP3, except when I need to scan it, but I usually buy it in slightly smaller amounts at about £2.20 a roll so I don't have too much money tied up in film.

That polypan looks interesting, I'd need a bulk loader though?

Last edited:
Have you ever been stung by VAT with these film orders coming from Hong Kong?

Not yet, mainly because this is the first time I've ordered film from Honkers. The VAT is only going to be £3.60 though, I'm pretty sure I can cover that. ;)

Not yet, mainly because this is the first time I've ordered film from Honkers. The VAT is only going to be £3.60 though, I'm pretty sure I can cover that. ;)

The VAT isn't the part I'm worried about though; my concern is the £8 handling fee that usually accompanies any VAT or customs charges on international post.

Last edited:
Fair point. I'll update the thread once I know more; I've had an email to say they've dispatched the film so it shouldn't be long.

I've bought more than a few batches of film plus other stuff from Hong Kong and never had an issue. Most t of the time they put the value way below what you've paid but even then the threshold for Vat is £15 I think so a batch of Gp3 should be under that and not liable.

Quick bump for this for any other folk that want to join us.

Also, any chance we could get a definitive list of attendees?

Last edited:
I'll be there, coming up on the friday and staying saturday night as well. Might have to leave you all after tea on saturday as we are staying with friends and will probably go out for a meal and a drink (or 2). Really looking forward to it.
Actually, we are going to Scotland this saturday for a week so its twice in a month for us, cool.

Andy

Everything booked so t'missus and I will be there. Please call her Mrs. Strappy even if she rolls her eyes and ignores you, she loves it really.

Also, please check my post regarding dinner in the other thread :)

Yes, The Current Mrs Snap really enjoys her TP name as well, she also gives that look when its mentioned but I know she likes it really.

Yes, The Current Mrs Snap really enjoys her TP name as well, she also gives that look when its mentioned but I know she likes it really.
I shall remember that ;)

Unfortunately, I have sport-related commitments most weekends this summer and have to be in Gateshead that particular weekend for a competition.

We'll be sorry to miss you (and the SQ fondle), RJ; hope the comp goes well!

Looks like the weather gods may not be entirely on side, forecast is for heavy showers. A week is very long time in weather but still, if they're anything like the shower I got caught in the other week it took two days for my water proof to dry...

Next the perennial question, what cameras? I'm thinking RB and 65mm plus a couple of OM's.

oh and where to meet? Shall we say in Princes Street Gardens, bottom of the Scott Monument at 10? Should be a fairly obvious landmark for the few who haven't been before (its the gothic rocket ship you can see for miles) and it'll be easy to identify us, we'll be the ones trying to find an interesting angle of the thing.

Good plan.

I'm not sure what to take either. Don't want to be too weighed down with kit especially a tripod.

I'm wondering if I should list what I have in case anyone wants to try out something? I don't have anything too exotic but you never know.

Looking forward to seeing the RB67 in the flesh. :)

I think I'm going to go with the Mamiya C330 and a couple of lenses. I find that on these meets I spend far more time talking and looking at other peeps cameras than taking shots so I don't want to be weighed down with loads of kit.

I'll be taking my RB with the 50mm and 127mm as it's the only film camera in my possession. So I'll be weighed down with a tripod too.

10am at the gardens works for me, I get in to Waverley station at 9.40 ish

... we'll be the ones trying to find an interesting angle of the thing.

Speak for yourself, I'll be shooting for my 3C project (Cliched Clueless Clown), a series of shots from angles that you've seen so many times before but with the added bonus of dodgy colour shifts, heavy flare and plenty of exposure errors. That's my excuse sorted. :)

We're flying back so no RZ and tripod for me. Besides, I'm going to be selling it soon and I don't want to damage it before I get the listing up!

I'm keeping it simple so the Ensign Selfix 820 (6x9 folder) will be in my bag, along with either my Yash GX or an FE2 with 50mm f/1.4. Can't quite decide between them, though I think the GX is edging it at the moment.

Oh something else, if you getting a bus, get a day ticket just in case. Its only 50p more than two singles and it may be handy. Though I suppose it depends what people want to do on the day.

Forgot to say, I've booked a table at Vittoria on Leith Walk for 7.30pm, 6 covers in case anyone wants to join us (we're 4 + 1 maybe right now). If anyone else wants to come along, let me know.

Oh something else, if you getting a bus, get a day ticket just in case. Its only 50p more than two singles and it may be handy. Though I suppose it depends what people want to do on the day.

That's a good point and the bonus is the day ticket is valid on the trams too*!

*But not for journeys to the airport.

As usual I have no idea what to bring, more cameras than I can possibly use, or maybe just the Nagaoka :D

Ooh, I'm glad you're bringing the Ensign Dean, I really want to have a look at one as I think I may have to get one soon. (y)

Ooh, I'm glad you're bringing the Ensign Dean, I really want to have a look at one as I think I may have to get one soon. (y)

No worries, you're welcome to shoot a roll through it if you like. I've got some samples at home that I need to scan, though I had a bit of a mare developing them so they might not be the best indicator of quality!

Back