Edinburgh Film Meet

Weather looks ok until mid afternoon then the rain comes in. Better than down south though.

We're here! The sleeper is possibly named ironically but it was fun nonetheless :)

Currently waiting for someone to answer the door

I've just been to the door and there's no one there :thinking:

Sorry, phone died as I was typing. Not sure how it posted the message anyway but whatever :)

We're in Edinburgh, having some breakfast around the corner from the Scott monument on Rose Street. Bags have been deposited at the pub/hotel and we've left our waterproofs behind because we're so happy to see sunshine!

Sorry, phone died as I was typing. Not sure how it posted the message anyway but whatever :)

We're in Edinburgh, having some breakfast around the corner from the Scott monument on Rose Street. Bags have been deposited at the pub/hotel and we've left our waterproofs behind because we're so happy to see sunshine!

Fool! It's a trap.

Just walking for the tram, find out in a minute if a billion pounds buys time travel....

We're here! The sleeper is possibly named ironically but it was fun nonetheless :)

Yes, I've never had much luck with sleeping on those things. Perhaps they should rename it the Caledonian Occasional Fitful Dozer?

Do they still do that thing where they walk up and down the train and bang on the wheels with a hammer? Possibly in Crewe? Perhaps not last night, as Mr Elf & Safety was in Edinburgh with the CMS...

You should all be meeting... now! :(:(:(:crying::grumpy:

Just waiting for t'missus to avail herself of the facilities and we'll be there. 10 minutes max :)

What a bloody marvellous day, thanks to all present for a great time despite the weather :D

Only let-down was the restaurant I chose. I let the guys down, I let the forum down but most importantly, I let myself down. I can only beg, plead and cajole Nick and Rob to allow me to forget it over the passage of time. :(

Was that contrite enough, Frodo? ;)

Yep, great day. Good to meet you folks.

Thanks to steveo_mcg for initiating the meet and kudos to those who made the journey.

:Dexcellent day, much beer,some photos and great craic. Big thanks to Steve for organizing it and it was great to see faces old and new. Just on the train now, heading home, upgraded to first class to avoid the commoners.:D

On a packed tram to the airport, so much for the locals not wanting the trams! Another great day of wandering about, met Nick and Rob again and I think I got away with using the x-pro today but then the film meet was yesterday :whistle:

Hils says it was lovely to discover that you're real people instead of being figments of my imagination :)

:Dnot sure there's anything lovely about us but thanks and it was nice to meet her as well. And she's nowhere near as annoying as you made out. :D

It was good to meet everyone- a very nice bunch and some interesting cameras.

Great to meet some new people and see some old faces again. Thanks for organising Steve, really good to wander round the city again.
Overall it was an excellent weekend only let down by Strappy's appalling choice of restaurant on Saturday night :LOL: Only joking it was a great night, it must have been because my head hurt a lot on Sunday morning.

Bring on the next one (y)

Well that was fun! Pleasure to meet you all and to put faces to names.

I've just worked out it'll be years before I need to buy anymore 35mm...

Thought you lot might like this...
(Edinburgh in Game of Thrones titles)

I was photographing now demolished farm buildings, I saw a runner come up behind me he seen the camera and just decided to jog on. He either recognised the rb as a camera or decided what ever I was up to he wanted nothing to do it!

A couple of recently scanned shots from the Ensign 820 on Ektar and GP3. I'm not that impressed with the Ektar results, I think the old folder is more suited to B&W film. The last couple are HP5+ from the Yashica GX, few more on flickr and I'll add some more as I get through them :)

Edinburgh Ensign 820-1
by Strappster, on Flickr

Edinburgh Ensign 820-2
by Strappster, on Flickr

Edinburgh Ensign 820-1-2
by Strappster, on Flickr

Edinburgh Yashica 4
by Strappster, on Flickr

Edinburgh Yashica 5
by Strappster, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good to see some more from the Edinburgh meet. I think you maybe right about colour film in some old cameras, I don't think some render colour particularly well, I tend to stick with b&w in my old cameras.

Thanks, Nick. I'm not ruling out poor metering or scanning but if you check the pic of the Maserati on flickr you can see how washed out it looks compared to the digital pics. On the other hand, I'm impressed with the results from the roll of GP3, such as the Hume statue pic above. Just a shame that the printing on the backing of the GP3 is so awful that you can't see which shot you're on. I wonder whether a film with more muted colours, such as Portra, might work better?

Oh, and in response to your pic of me earlier in this thread ... Greyfriars Bobby ;)

Isn't Ektar notoriously fussy about exposure, liable to go magenta on you if not spot on?

Thanks, Nick. I'm not ruling out poor metering or scanning but if you check the pic of the Maserati on flickr you can see how washed out it looks compared to the digital pics.

Isn't Ektar notoriously fussy about exposure, liable to go magenta on you if not spot on?

To be very frank, I think that most of the problems that people have with Ektar result from difficulties during the scanning and colour correction stages. I know that I can't get it to look like much of anything if I scan Ektar myself, but it comes back looking great if I send Ektar off to the lab.

I took a quick screenshot of your first image and did a quick five-second white balance and contrast adjustment and came out with the image below. Any better? With the original scan I would imagine an even better result could be achieved.

Unfortunately, as Ektar is a very saturated film, it will look quite blue on overcast days (shadows are blue), so you'll have to work a bit harder to correct for this during scanning and post-processing stages, especially as the scene will likely also appear quite flat on a grey day.

View attachment 19885

Last edited:
Thanks for having a go, RJ, but that looks as though there's a green cast, particularly on the white buildings. Mind you, I'm posting this from work, where the screen isn't calibrated for anything more than Outlook and Word!

I'll run a roll of Portra through it, that's much more forgiving. Or it'll confirm that I should stick to B&W with this camera :)

Thanks for having a go, RJ, but that looks as though there's a green cast, particularly on the white buildings. Mind you, I'm posting this from work, where the screen isn't calibrated for anything more than Outlook and Word!

I'll run a roll of Portra through it, that's much more forgiving. Or it'll confirm that I should stick to B&W with this camera :)

It's not meant to be a final edit; I was only quickly playing around with a screenshot of the flickr image to suggest what is possible. Looking at the original photographs, I thought that they had blue and magenta casts, so I added a bit of yellow and green to this particular photo to counter those and, perhaps, I went slightly too far with the green slider.

Edit: Here's a little less green:

View attachment 19887

Last edited:
Back