weekly Edthedrummer's 52. Progress paused - I will return.

Name
Edward
Edit My Images
No
Hello everybody,

This is my thread for my photography challenge this year, possibly a little slower than everybody else to get started, but thats about the norm for me.

I have a plan in my head for the first weeks topic, it will probably be photographed after i have finished typing this...

Thankyou to everybody and anybody who takes time out of their day to look in here, help, criticise, advise, suggest or just pooh-pooh my photo's, I have a lot to learn but i'll get there eventually.

Here's a quicker way of finding my photo's in this thread:

Week One - Sin
Week Two - Season
Week Three - Gravity

Ciao for now,

Ted.

Last edited:
Good luck - looking forward to seeing the shots!

Phil

Hi Edward & welcome aboard :wave:

Nice simple but effective shot , fits the theme , like the angle & the use of DOF ( all in camera or added in pp ?) , good start mister (y)
Not quite so keen on the BG but then you have to work with you've got

Hi Edward & welcome aboard :wave:

Nice simple but effective shot , fits the theme , like the angle & the use of DOF ( all in camera or added in pp ?) , good start mister (y)
Not quite so keen on the BG but then you have to work with you've got

Thankyou!

All the angle and DOF was in camera :)

Yeah, the background is about all i have, perhaps i could have duplicated the photo onto a new layer and darkened the background? I dont know, this is all such a steep learning curve.

Hi, Edward, in indeed.

Well captured. Sharp where needed and nice DOF.

BG does overpower the phone slightly. Not sure if you've added a slight vignette:thinking:, bit I think, because of the central placement of the phone, it may emphasise it a bit more.

Cheers.

Hi, Edward, in indeed.

Well captured. Sharp where needed and nice DOF.

BG does overpower the phone slightly. Not sure if you've added a slight vignette:thinking:, bit I think, because of the central placement of the phone, it may emphasise it a bit more.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy!

With regards to the background, what would have worked better? A darker background that matches similar to the phone perhaps?

Good eyes, I believe i did add a slight vignette, to try and lose a bit of the brightness of the wood, but not too much because I wussed out slightly in Lightroom.

Thanks for your comments though! Very much appreciated.

Ed.

very good interpretation of the theme.. like the angle, would perhaps have had the phone placed less central.. great idea!

great idea nice DoF composition could maybe a little better, good start

Thanks Andy!

With regards to the background, what would have worked better? A darker background that matches similar to the phone perhaps?

Good eyes, I believe i did add a slight vignette, to try and lose a bit of the brightness of the wood, but not too much because I wussed out slightly in Lightroom.

Thanks for your comments though! Very much appreciated.

Ed.

Hmmm, I guess white would have provided a much crisper image.

As you said above have a go in PS, replace with white and have a look (y)

As for your latest. Lovely light and detail. Just a bit minimal for me.

Cheers.

I will experiment with it! Thankyou!

Minimal, as in there's not a lot happening bar some ol' leaves? Good point...

Nice shot and good colour. This works well cos all of the picture is in focus rather than one bit.

The only thing that I can think may have made the shot better would be to put a pure green leave somewhere in the shot to give the shot a focal point and give some perspective to the different seasons the leaves were from.

Good effort. Look forward to your next shot.

Maybe a little flat from a subject point of view, but I like the way the light picks out sections of the leaves. Good colours too... really Autumnal.

Nice shot and good colour. This works well cos all of the picture is in focus rather than one bit.

The only thing that I can think may have made the shot better would be to put a pure green leave somewhere in the shot to give the shot a focal point and give some perspective to the different seasons the leaves were from.

Good effort. Look forward to your next shot.

Thanks!

I never considered that either! Literally thought it would make for a good shot, so i pointed at the floor. I'll make a note to think about the contrast next time!

Maybe a little flat from a subject point of view, but I like the way the light picks out sections of the leaves. Good colours too... really Autumnal.

Thankyou for your comments! I am happy with it myself! For a complete beginner!

Thanks!

I never considered that either! Literally thought it would make for a good shot, so i pointed at the floor. I'll make a note to think about the contrast next time!

Hi, Edward, I did something similar for my 52 last year, brown leaves with one green. I'll post a link if you want to have a look..?

Cheers.

Hi Edward :)

Season - I like the colours, but agree it looks a bit flat (say's me with a flat snowy branch photo ) that will teach me to try and force a snow image in

Hope you don't mind me saying, but I actually prefer the low POV shots on your flickr of the leaves, they show more depth and the green contrast (y)

crit as above really maybe you could have been a bit closer concentrated on a smaller area

It does scream Autumn! :)

But it fails to hold my interest for long. :|

Technically very good though. and would make great coasters or table mats!

2 down, 50 to go!

nice colour and textures.. agree that something to focus on in the frame might have worked better.. very autumnal..

Sin - message definitely indicates a sin, agree that the surface does over power it a bit.

Season - nice crisp image and bright colours, make a great PS texture background if you ever get into that sort of thing. Only thing I am not keen on is the two "square bracket" bits right in the middle. They keep drawing my eye.

Here you go...posted a link so I don't crowd your thread Clicky linky

If you like this kind of photography, Google Andy Goldsworthy, he is, IMO, a master of environmental/sculpture photography (y)

Cheers.

Thanks! Love that photo, I can see completely where the "add some contrast" comments are coming from.

Thankyou!

In "sin" I actually like the background; contrasts with the phone and is perhaps a natural place (table?) where you would put it... Having said that I think a boost to the midtones and whites would be beneficial. I'm feeling like procrastinating so would have a go at editing if you would like. :)

Nice light in "season" but it has no strong focal point, cropping in and experimenting with angles may have given stronger results.

Hi ed

had to laugh...very inconsiderate of Sir Issac to not make himself available for the shoot...doesn't he know who you are:LOL:

On theme & great colors , BG is a touch distracting though...wonder if cropping some from the top would help...or maybe a different angle ?

I'd crop savagley from the top to where the shadow begins on the RH side. Nice minimal photograph....I would have removed the pine needles branch near the apple, unless that's part of the photograph :thinking:

Cheers.

Hi ed

had to laugh...very inconsiderate of Sir Issac to not make himself available for the shoot...doesn't he know who you are:LOL:

On theme & great colors , BG is a touch distracting though...wonder if cropping some from the top would help...or maybe a different angle ?

Thanks for the comments! Agreed with the Background now i've taken a minute away from it. Not really any better angle, there's objects around the other sides, none of which would add anything better though unfortunately.

I'd crop savagley from the top to where the shadow begins on the RH side. Nice minimal photograph....I would have removed the pine needles branch near the apple, unless that's part of the photograph :thinking:

Cheers.

I was worried about doing so because i felt i needed to show more of the tree? probably not though thinking about it, because if you can't tell its a tree from just the stump then something is wrong. I'll dabble in lightroom and see what i can come up with!

As for the pine branch, well spotted, i hadn't taken any notice of this when i took the picture. Shame, because now you have mentioned it, its all that i can see!

Ed.

I was worried about doing so because i felt i needed to show more of the tree? probably not though thinking about it, because if you can't tell its a tree from just the stump then something is wrong. I'll dabble in lightroom and see what i can come up with!

As for the pine branch, well spotted, i hadn't taken any notice of this when i took the picture. Shame, because now you have mentioned it, its all that i can see!

Ed.

Nice one. You should be able to remove the pine branch in LR. Post the edit (y)

Cheers.

Spot on for theme - bet you wish you'd picked up that stray branch next to your apple.

The apple is really shiny, and works great against the shadowed grass - I wonder if you could crop an inch of two off the top without loosing anything vital??

I think the only thing that would have bettered this is if the apple was falling, and had a trail of red behind (above) it - but a few people have found that's easier said than done!! :LOL:

Good shot.

------------------ edit....

Doh! Second time I've replied without seeing there's another page going on. Thought it strange there'd been no replies to this yet!! At least it shows my thoughts are consistent with others.

Top job with the edit - just what I was thinking :clap:

Last edited:
Hi Ed :)

Gravity - For me I'd prefer a much narrower DoF as the background isn't helping the image (I'd clone out the twig next to the apple too), great colours though and liking your idea :)

<EDIT> Typical... posted my comment and now see your edit - Much Better (y)

Last edited:
Spot on for theme - bet you wish you'd picked up that stray branch next to your apple.

The apple is really shiny, and works great against the shadowed grass - I wonder if you could crop an inch of two off the top without loosing anything vital??

I think the only thing that would have bettered this is if the apple was falling, and had a trail of red behind (above) it - but a few people have found that's easier said than done!! :LOL:

Good shot.

------------------ edit....

Doh! Second time I've replied without seeing there's another page going on. Thought it strange there'd been no replies to this yet!! At least it shows my thoughts are consistent with others.

Top job with the edit - just what I was thinking :clap:

Hi Ed :)

Gravity - For me I'd prefer a much narrower DoF as the background isn't helping the image (I'd clone out the twig next to the apple too), great colours though and liking your idea :)

<EDIT> Typical... posted my comment and now see your edit - Much Better (y)

Hahaha that'll teach you both for not reading the entire thread... :D

I'm much happier with the edit too, and i'll be paying more attention to what other crap is lying in the shot as well!

Week Three - Gravity

Based on the story of the apple falling from the tree and hitting sir Isaac Newton on the head... Unfortunately, Sir Isaac Newton was unavailable for modelling...

As was an apple tree by the look of it!

You made me laugh though. looks better with the edits (y)

Back