weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Agree with Susie both work for me, I think I prefer the group pic overall but the first one for the theme.

2 Great images for Cracked Emma the first one for me takes it. Plenty of detail in there.

Although I think less head room in #1 would be better? that's still my favourite :)

2 nice nice images Emma :)

Hey Emma.
Liquid shots #1 & #4 for me. I love the reflections in #1, but the simplicity and strong colours of #4 make that one also a favourite.
Cracked - Took me a second or so to get that, but nicely done.
Good use of DoF in #1, I prefer it over #2/

They are nice fungi Em :)

Funnily enough, Mrs DK has 'borrowed' my macro lens and was snapping similar on Sunday... you have some lovely narrow DoF in that top one which separates it from the background nicely, the bottom group has just enough to work for me, good pair :)

#1 is the most striking image of the two Emma - down to the excellent use of DoF. The colours are fabulous in that one too. Very striking. :clap:

The "family photo" made me laugh, but I prefer #1: great colours, great use of DoF, nothing at all to criticise.

Loving both of these shots Emma.

#2 sure is like a family :) ... but #1 comes tops ... both the light and the DoF look a little better. (y)

Last edited:
Ooooh one of my absolute favourite subjects Emma, fungi are so fascinating, I love this time of the year. I think the first one edges it for the theme, but I love them both.
Thanks Susie - I enjoyed seeing your fungi shots on flickr and I still think your alien fungi was superb!

Agree with Susie both work for me, I think I prefer the group pic overall but the first one for the theme.
Thanks Allan :)

2 Great images for Cracked Emma the first one for me takes it. Plenty of detail in there.
Thank you Mark :)
Two great shots Emma, for me the group shot works better with the different colors the first one is a bit to brown for me :).
Cheers Nigel - there was certainly a lot of brown going on down in the woods last weekend!

Although I think less head room in #1 would be better? that's still my favourite :)

2 nice nice images Emma :)
Cheers Chris - I think you're right about it needing a bit of a trim :)

Hey Emma.
Liquid shots #1 & #4 for me. I love the reflections in #1, but the simplicity and strong colours of #4 make that one also a favourite.
Cracked - Took me a second or so to get that, but nicely done.
Good use of DoF in #1, I prefer it over #2/
Thanks for the feedback Tim - I think the first is my favourite too.

They are nice fungi Em :)

Funnily enough, Mrs DK has 'borrowed' my macro lens and was snapping similar on Sunday... you have some lovely narrow DoF in that top one which separates it from the background nicely, the bottom group has just enough to work for me, good pair :)
Thanks Dean - this is such a great time of year for photographs...I guess you might not be seeing much of that lens for a while...!

#1 is the most striking image of the two Emma - down to the excellent use of DoF. The colours are fabulous in that one too. Very striking. :clap:
Thank you Carl :)

The "family photo" made me laugh, but I prefer #1: great colours, great use of DoF, nothing at all to criticise.
Thanks Bernd!

Loving both of these shots Emma.

#2 sure is like a family :) ... but #1 comes tops ... both the light and the DoF look a little better. (y)
Thanks David - the light wasn't great but I think the top one got a little diffused sunlight - must have been the right amount!

Big thanks to my friend Emma for this one - looking marvellous as ever at a hallowe'en party tonight. I just took a couple of shots with me holding a torch to the front and my husband shining one from behind. They were mid sized jpegs too as I'd forgotten to change camera settings after a day out yesterday. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the shadow on the bushes behind her which I really liked.

spooky2-1.jpg

Last edited:
t wasn't until I got home that I noticed the shadow on the bushes behind her which I really liked.
Me too Emma, it adds to the scene.
It almost looks as though she is floating as well.
Nice image well taken :)

Hi Emma. Sounds a fun night and your friend Emma looks fab in that get-up. Two things strike me about the shot, the shadow which I must say adds to the Spooky atmosphere and the other is the torchlight highlighting the right side of her face. Excellent.

Me too Emma, it adds to the scene.
It almost looks as though she is floating as well.
Nice image well taken :)

Hi Emma. Sounds a fun night and your friend Emma looks fab in that get-up. Two things strike me about the shot, the shadow which I must say adds to the Spooky atmosphere and the other is the torchlight highlighting the right side of her face. Excellent.
Thank you both - it was a good night...my son William had such a good time running around as a mini vampire he's only just emerged from his lair :eek:

Hi Emja,
Great choice of subject and well taken. I did have a go at playing with the white and black points to make the image more punchy, but on reflection (which I guess she doesn't have one of ;) ) the more subdued whites are more appropriate.
(y)

It does look like she is floating, fits the theme perfectly you have some strange friends :wideyed:

It's all been said above Emma, very good photo, bang on for the theme

Hi Emja,
Great choice of subject and well taken. I did have a go at playing with the white and black points to make the image more punchy, but on reflection (which I guess she doesn't have one of ;) ) the more subdued whites are more appropriate.
(y)
Thanks for that Tim - I did the same, but it looked more as if she had been caught in headlights than was haunting the garden!

That photo works very well, shadows and all. And great make-up and costume!

Hi Emma - a tad of a shoe-horn but it is both long exposed and well composed too with the image of the old pier nicely counter-balanced by the supports. (Always find it a sad sight - I wonder if it will ever be restored).

I like the picture, but it looks like it could do with a bit more punch maybe ?

Im struggling with this weeks currently myself.

Yes, I love the composition with the horizon lined up with what would have been the pier deck and the distinct layers of colour

Nicely composed Emma, and another excellent shoe horn this week (y)

Hi Emma - a tad of a shoe-horn but it is both long exposed and well composed too with the image of the old pier nicely counter-balanced by the supports. (Always find it a sad sight - I wonder if it will ever be restored).
Thanks Carl - I'm sure it's too far gone now. Although sad, there is something quite hauntingly beautiful about it when seen in the right conditions (or photographed properly...:oops: :$) I'm hoping to get back a few times this year to try to do it more justice - who knows how long it will hang on with a few winter gales.

I like the picture, but it looks like it could do with a bit more punch maybe ?

Im struggling with this weeks currently myself.
I found the same with this theme, but had been planning to try a few shots with my (very cheap) 10 stop filter, so went for a shoehorn :) I missed actual sunrise (at least from the right position) due to disorganisation, and then found a crew on the shoreline videoing when I arrived. So this was taken 3/4 hr or so after sunrise. I liked the warm light on the posts, but adjusting the colours to make up for the cast from the filter seemed more of a pain than usual. All in all it wasn't what I was hoping for...better luck next time I guess!

Back