weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Im liking the Pier Emma, very nice, I was only there this morning, but the structure seems to have repaired itself :)
Thanks Lee. Are you suggesting I took a spanner & boat as well as the d3200?! This was taken from the walkway that juts out near the bandstand - I thought it made a different view from the one from the beach :)

Working with young children, the thing I love most about their 'youngness' is their awe and wonder at the world. I had an amazing time at work this week listening in as my class explored a plasma ball - their explanations for the lights they saw ranged from 'thunderstorm jail' to 'an alien skin scanner' to 'a ball full of Christmas magic'. How cool is that?!
I enjoyed taking some photos for their learning journals, but for obvious reasons wouldn't use them here. So...out into the garden tonight with the last of our sparklers from Bonfire Night. I hope they capture a little of the excitement and awe I was looking for...technically they were a bit of a challenge!

sparkler2-1-2.jpg

sparkler2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Two very good photos for the theme but #1 nails it for me, I think you have really captured a young face with a sense of wonder.

No.1 for me I like the small catchlight in his eye, its a really nice photograph, it does indeed capture that sense of wonder :clap:

Yes, #1 for me too - look at his dilated pupils, lovely image. Have been meaning to try a sparkler image myself - looks good fun, nice result.

Lovely portrait Emma, I like the sparkler reflection in his eye, and the expression of wonderment on his face :)

Hi Emma,

Love you "posed" shot, great colours and love the silky affect on the water (y)
Thank you Nigel - not what I was hoping for for sunrise, but the soft colours worked ok in the end I think.

Hi Emma, Like the first of your young shots , great compo but feel it would of been enhanced if you had got they eye in focus as it looks to me like the cheek is the main sharp area.
Thanks Nigel. The focusing in pretty much no light was a nightmare, especially as my son's greatest talent is not keeping still! The iris, not the lashes, looks in focus on the original file, but the shot is quite noisy and this seems worse on the eye - maybe that's making it look softer than it is?

Loving both of them Em, the bottom one is very exciting, but the first has a great innocent feel, and a great sense of concentration, tough choice but going with the first, nice pair (y)

Beautiful photo of your son Emma, definitely a keeper, I really like the sparkler one too, very well captured.

Thank you Dean and Susie - nice to have a photo that doesn't involve pulling faces at the moment!

Both great! Loving the sparkler one as he's looking at the camera, yet he's not. :clap:

#1 for me, great portrait, nothing to criticise.

Yes, to me too Emma. I like the composition, especially the inclusion of the beer glass and spectacles and the distortions both create. THat yellow light reflected from the glass is lovely.

Very well composed, great colours and DoF. I like the light shining through that strangely shaped tankard, and the reflections it creates on the books. Very cultural indeed.

Looks like the perfect cultural evening in to me...:D
Great idea Emma (y)
It is however far too cultural for me,
the Beano and a can of coke is about my limit :D

Think I might need several glasses of that to get my head around that sort of reading.......;)

Yes, to me too Emma. I like the composition, especially the inclusion of the beer glass and spectacles and the distortions both create. THat yellow light reflected from the glass is lovely.
Thanks Carl...proves my husband's eye roll at "I really need a golden ale for photography purposes" was completely ill-founded :D

Very well composed, great colours and DoF. I like the light shining through that strangely shaped tankard, and the reflections it creates on the books. Very cultural indeed.
Thanks Bernd - the glass is from one of the first beer festivals in my home city of Stoke. I liked the fact it had our cultural emblem, the bottle kiln, on it to contrast with the overseas cultures in the novels.

Great idea Emma (y)
It is however far too cultural for me,
the Beano and a can of coke is about my limit :D
LOL...I'm sure you won't believe it when I say that was a combination I seriously considered for this!!

Think I might need several glasses of that to get my head around that sort of reading.......;)
Ah well...any excuse...:D

Cultural evening in indeed, nice light going through the glass, just window light I'm guessing I like to use natural light as much as possible

Cultural evening in indeed, nice light going through the glass, just window light I'm guessing I like to use natural light as much as possible
Thanks Allan - so do I, but this was shot yesterday evening using two halogen lamps - the closest one to the left of the glass and the other a little further away to the right to throw some light onto the titles of the books. I diffused the light with the translucent inners to my reflectors. It was a bit of a challenge avoiding reflections/blown highlights in the glass, but I got there in the end.

What about trying the same with your 35mm f/1.8, maybe move the glass and books forward a bit then try @1.8 to see if you could blow the background out, just a thought about trying something different (been re-watching too many Mike Browne vids today) whilst quietly smouldering over the fact that my Flickr account disappeared with a 404 error this morning !

What about trying the same with your 35mm f/1.8, maybe move the glass and books forward a bit then try @1.8 to see if you could blow the background out, just a thought about trying something different (been re-watching too many Mike Browne vids today) whilst quietly smouldering over the fact that my Flickr account disappeared with a 404 error this morning !
Ah - wondered what happened there...that sounds like a nightmare :(
I started out with the 35mm for this shot, but it's a very narrow bookcase and I was struggling to find a composition I was happy with - I probably should have spent more time considering a crop, but I did want to retain some detail in those books anyway - all part of the story. Keep the suggestions coming though - it's all food for thought :) See you in the 2017 52? ;)

Thanks Allan - so do I, but this was shot yesterday evening using two halogen lamps - the closest one to the left of the glass and the other a little further away to the right to throw some light onto the titles of the books. I diffused the light with the translucent inners to my reflectors. It was a bit of a challenge avoiding reflections/blown highlights in the glass, but I got there in the end.

Well I'm impressed (y)

Very well put together and captured, as others have said the light through the beer is great and I like the DoF, it makes the background just right for me. One comment (and I'm sure it is just me) but it doesn't look quite level, it is as far as I can tell, but just somehow looks to me a little off, could be lens distortion I guess.

Ah! beer/book culture ... great lighting, yes it does look natural sunny day. And all round good compo & POV. I think the OOFness of the BG books is just right.

Very well put together and captured, as others have said the light through the beer is great and I like the DoF, it makes the background just right for me. One comment (and I'm sure it is just me) but it doesn't look quite level, it is as far as I can tell, but just somehow looks to me a little off, could be lens distortion I guess.
Thank you Chris - the light through the glass was one of those unexpected lucky moments! I've had another check in LR and the verticals of the books in the background are ok as are the horizontals of the top book - maybe there is some distortion, but I wouldn't know how to correct it further?

Back