weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

either for me nice shot of the goldfinch lovely BG and William certainly likes a bit of colour its a great picture of your son :clap:

Like DK it's a difficult choice but I also think No2 for me love the bright colours and DOF. But the image of the bird is superb too

Difficult decision, the gold finch is very sharp, beautifully coloured and nice blurred out background. But I think William's outfit, mug, bowl and comic hit the brief even more. So #2 for me.

Nice Goldfinch Emma, but Williams attire and comic, did make me chuckle :)

Wow! both terrific images Emma - I'm envious of that bird image, so sharp and colourful - I'm not quick enough ... or have the reach. For the theme, I like the William's breakfast attire - knocks shades off Joseph's amazing technicolour dreamcoat !!!:clap:

Oooo tough choice Emma... erm... I love the colours of the bird and background, such a nice creamy background at that... but I'm going for the mega colourful William image, he may well regret this photo when he gets older, but for me now I just love that :D

either for me nice shot of the goldfinch lovely BG and William certainly likes a bit of colour its a great picture of your son :clap:

Like DK it's a difficult choice but I also think No2 for me love the bright colours and DOF. But the image of the bird is superb too

Difficult decision, the gold finch is very sharp, beautifully coloured and nice blurred out background. But I think William's outfit, mug, bowl and comic hit the brief even more. So #2 for me.

Nice Goldfinch Emma, but Williams attire and comic, did make me chuckle :)

Wow! both terrific images Emma - I'm envious of that bird image, so sharp and colourful - I'm not quick enough ... or have the reach. For the theme, I like the William's breakfast attire - knocks shades off Joseph's amazing technicolour dreamcoat !!!:clap:

Hi Emma ....super goldfinch and the background :clap: is perfect.
But I love that one of William .....don't you just love the things kids do....such a lovely natural photo to treasure.
Aww...thank you all - it's not just me that likes William's wacky clothes sense then :)

Well done for capturing the goldfinch(?) I always find garden birds hard to photograph with any decent background, plenty of colour going on in #2.

Well done with the linky text BTW

colourful birdie, nicely focused and framed. (y)
Well done for capturing the goldfinch(?) I always find garden birds hard to photograph with any decent background, plenty of colour going on in #2.

Well done with the linky text BTW
Thank you both - it's much easier when you can lean out of your bedroom window with a cup of tea :) The background is far enough away from the bird table to work, but my husband keeps sabotaging it by moving planters and other garden things into view which breaks up the colours. Seems to think I'm making a fuss ;)

It's amazing how much of a Sunday afternoon you can while away taking photographs of a very tiny snail shell (approx 1.5 cm long) and still not getting it quite right. It doesn't help that our monitor has just died and I'm editing on a screen the size of a postage stamp. This will have to do for now :D

TP 52 Week 20 'Entrance' by Em Jay, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good idea for the theme and DoF and editing looks pretty good to me.

Great take on the theme Emma - very original. Spot on with DoF and lighting. :clap:

Can't fault it, Em. The DoF is spot on and plenty texture/detail in the outer shell :)

:) tell me about it Emma ...it can be time consuming can't it ...the trouble is I always lose the plot by the end and I don't know what I like !!

Love the idea of the shell....we used to have a marine tank and it was fascinating to see the crabs moving to a larger home, nicely done with lots of detail.

Great take on the theme Emma - very original. Spot on with DoF and lighting. :clap:
Can't fault it, Em. The DoF is spot on and plenty texture/detail in the outer shell :)

Really like that Emma great use of DOF

:) tell me about it Emma ...it can be time consuming can't it ...the trouble is I always lose the plot by the end and I don't know what I like !!

Love the idea of the shell....we used to have a marine tank and it was fascinating to see the crabs moving to a larger home, nicely done with lots of detail.

Emma, great idea for entrance. Like the DOF and texture of the shell
Chris
Thanks for the lovely feedback everyone...perhaps it wasn't as duff a shot as I thought! I'm glad it's not just me @susiejb :)

Well another little shoehorn - as the insects have been out and about this weekend I was dying to get out there with my Sigma 105. I'll never make a great macro photographer - too little patience and attention to detail, but I love the chance to sit amongst long grass and watch. I rarely fail to see something I've never seen before - like this green eyed wonder (a fruit fly maybe?) I could have done with more depth of field, but at the speed he was moving was happy to get his eyes in focus - they were mesmerising! I love this lens for the opportunities it gives me to see things at this size very large :) I've added another fly for good measure - better depth of field, but not nearly as exciting an encounter.

green eyed wonder by Em Jay, on Flickr

flysmall.jpg

Last edited:
I think you've done a great job, Em! Colours are lovely and detail where you'd want it.

Quite fancy a wee macro lens for my Fuji to have a play with. Will see what's about now I think :)

Nicely whot Emma. The first of the two for me, I particularly like the colours in the eyes and the focus point is brilliant.
Kudos on being the first to take size as meaning small not big :)

Emma, I like the green eyes in no1, and the spikey edge to the leaf. I tried macro but spent more time stacking photos than taking trying to get as much detail as possible. Nice take on size

I think you have done a great job with these two great macro shots the first shades it, nice work indeed

Hey Emma :)

Lovely shallow DoF on that shell image, really liking the colours and the focus point is bang on too, nice one :)

Size - Nothing wrong with that, without stacking you will do well to get any better, as is the focus is bang on again, I love the green eyes separated well from the overall green of the image, nice spiky detail, a couple of great Macro shots (y)

Wow! Beautiful ... both of them .. .but fruit fly tops. amazing detail and colour. Can understand completely why you found it mesmerising. :clap:

I could be one of the Drosophila (Fruit fly) Emma, but what ever it is, well spotted and captured :)

Emma, I like the green eyes in no1, and the spikey edge to the leaf. I tried macro but spent more time stacking photos than taking trying to get as much detail as possible. Nice take on size
Hey Emma :)

Lovely shallow DoF on that shell image, really liking the colours and the focus point is bang on too, nice one :)

Size - Nothing wrong with that, without stacking you will do well to get any better, as is the focus is bang on again, I love the green eyes separated well from the overall green of the image, nice spiky detail, a couple of great Macro shots (y)
Thank you both for your kind comments. I've played around with a bit of stacking in Lightroom (only stuff that stays good and still as yet!) but haven't had great results - the images always look a bit soft. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong - I'll have to read up more.

Wow! Beautiful ... both of them .. .but fruit fly tops. amazing detail and colour. Can understand completely why you found it mesmerising. :clap:
I could be one of the Drosophila (Fruit fly) Emma, but what ever it is, well spotted and captured :)

Thank you for your lovely comments. Thanks to the expertise that is the TP macro forum I found out that my colourful beast is a picture winged fly - the perfect name :)

Back